7th Nat'l NT Rally - July 5-8, 2017 - Spearfish, SD

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
Photobucket changed their terms and now do not allow 3rd party image hosting unless you buy their Plus 500 plan, for $399.99 a year!! Many folks on the CB1100 forum (cb1100forum.com) are switching to imgur - this is from a forum post there:

post snippet start *****

Got imgur to work.

This host has been around a long time....hopefully it will be for a while.

Here are the instruction to post into a forum.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/95883/how-to-get-direct-link-of-images-on-imgur

Use Alternative 3 ....copy the BBCode (Forums) and paste into the forum post

post snippet end *****

Here is another comment:

post snippet start *****

One comment about imgur: it's associated with the reddit website which is pretty much no-holds-barred internet anarchy. I usually exit the imgur landing page right away...some content is distracting and amusing and some is...weird.

I have my imgur account set to keep my posts private but the neat thing is that direct links to the images work publicly.

post snipped end *****

Another post snippet:

start *****

Then I switched to imgur. Nice thing about imgur is that it renames your files and strips EXIF metadata automatically. Downside is that I must resize offline before uploading.

end *****

NOTE - I have not used imgur.com - i'm just passing this information along since folks are successfully using this to imbed pictures in there forum posts. It is a free site, (for now anyway).

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Photobucket changed their terms and now do not allow 3rd party image hosting unless you buy their Plus 500 plan, for $399.99 a year!! Many folks on the CB1100 forum (cb1100forum.com) are switching to imgur - this is from a forum post there:
Got imgur to work.

This host has been around a long time....hopefully it will be for a while.

Here are the instruction to post into a forum.

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/95883/how-to-get-direct-link-of-images-on-imgur

Use Alternative 3 ....copy the BBCode (Forums) and paste into the forum post

Here is another comment:

One comment about imgur: it's associated with the reddit website which is pretty much no-holds-barred internet anarchy. I usually exit the imgur landing page right away...some content is distracting and amusing and some is...weird.

I have my imgur account set to keep my posts private but the neat thing is that direct links to the images work publicly.

Another post snippet:

Then I switched to imgur. Nice thing about imgur is that it renames your files and strips EXIF metadata automatically. Downside is that I must resize offline before uploading.

NOTE - I have not used imgur.com - i'm just passing this information along since folks are successfully using this to imbed pictures in there forum posts. It is a free site, (for now anyway).
Thanks, Ken! Didnt know that the $#&'s at photobucket did that to me......you say you switched to imgur but you dont use imgur.com. As usual, I am confused.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
No, I have not switched because I have been using smugmug which costs money. Other members of the CB1100forum have switched and it is working for them. I am just passing that along for whatever anyone thinks it is worth. I see the confusion, I did not make clear what all was the comment I was sharing and what I am doing. I'll go edit the post and try to make that clear.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Made it home today. Lots of wet weather, but the B.F.Goodrich tyres did a good job. They would spin a bit if the TC was off and I left a light vigorously--otherwise they were fine. I guess I blew some more junk out of my headers. The exhaust is a touch louder--but the best part is that I was averaging 25.6 MPG on the way back. All the loonies were on the Mass Pike today. Their latest is to not use signals--just zip into the space in front of you. The only way to stop them is to "draft" the car in front of you. Works fine in racing-but on the Mass Pike that behaviour tends to get a bit dicey. I did manage to get home without getting a second "Performance Award". It was also downright cold when I got out of the car--65F! The siding job on the house is almost complete. Those biker/contractors are doing a great job.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
We missed you, Eldon, and hope you can find a way to make it next year. Right now, I'm still planning on seeing you on my way to Abbotsford, BC, for the Three Flags Classic in late August.
I am looking forward to that Phil,

Eldon

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Made it home today. Lots of wet weather, but the B.F.Goodrich tyres did a good job. They would spin a bit if the TC was off and I left a light vigorously--otherwise they were fine. I guess I blew some more junk out of my headers. The exhaust is a touch louder--but the best part is that I was averaging 25.6 MPG on the way back. All the loonies were on the Mass Pike today. Their latest is to not use signals--just zip into the space in front of you. The only way to stop them is to "draft" the car in front of you. Works fine in racing-but on the Mass Pike that behaviour tends to get a bit dicey. I did manage to get home without getting a second "Performance Award". It was also downright cold when I got out of the car--65F! The siding job on the house is almost complete. Those biker/contractors are doing a great job.
Hope you post a pic of the finished house...Cedar is so nice to look at....
We seem to be a looney nation of bad drivers with no respect or courtesy for others......I would say that it is amazing that we are all here and still alive except of course if you think about that, the ones who are no longer here with us dont post much...sigh...dont know why I have lived for 50 years of touring... gardian angel I guess....
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BB5moe65dNI/VWogb9jEksI/AAAAAAAAAFA/6yq7x_ZCLt8/w506-h750/guardian_angel.jpg

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Late to thread but just got home. Got back from Spearfish yesterday, but went to the BMW Rally in Salt lake City enroute.
A tip of the cap to Mellow who does such a great job organizing this rally. It was great to see everyone again, meet new folks, and see longtime forum members in person. Good trip there and I enjoyed the rides ... Custer park, prehistoric fossils (insert wisecrack here), buffalo bratwust with kraut, lunch with biker gang, group dinner at Applebees ... great time.

Departed Spearfish for the BMW International Rally in Salt Lake on Sunday. Thanks to Jim Moore for the route to Cheyenne WY. Interesting countryside into NE and WY. The temps maxed out at 105. The evaporative vest, collars, and skull cap kept the temps manageable, but was thankful for A/C in the room. Phil Tarman gave me a route from Cheyenne to Salt Lake that ran thru northern CO. The route was scenic and COOL. Stayed in Steamboat Springs overnight. The next days ride was cool and scenic as well. Only the last 30 minutes going to the fairgrounds in SLC were warm and filled with traffic.

The BMW rally was an event that was not exactly what I expected, but far better. They were disappointed that only 4,200 people showed up and blamed the hot weather forecast. I asked if you had to be a BMW owner to attend. They laughed and said that you do not even need to own a motorcycle. I will go again as long as it does not conflict with the Spearfish Rally.

The ride home was uneventful except for the 41 degree temp at 8:00 AM in the river valley between McCall and Riggins, ID. Road Flaggers were wrapped in blankets. Heated grips, do your thing. Good to be home.

Bike
2010 Honda NT 700V.
This post is late as well, but wanted to thank and express my gratitude to the many interesting fellow NT riders I met at my first rally this month in Spearfish. Mellow, Chris, Joe, George, Jim and all the rest...had a great time. Thank you!

Some quick memories....as I arrived, and before even turning off my motor, hearing Chris loudly declare "the red ones are faster!." (his was sidelined at the time, standing still, as in "as slow as it gets." :)

Getting a lesson from Jim (Nebraska) on his method of mending the broken saddlebag....the long dowel fix.

Hearing the brief history of Joe's pilot days.....

Sharing a ride with Randy (ST rider from Colorado) over to Devil's Tower....

Breakfast at Perkins with the crew- good food, plenty of coffee and even more embellishment.

Thanks all!

Mel

Bike
2010 red NT
This post is late, but I just got home on Sunday (7/23) from my three week trip. After the rally I toured through Montana, Glacier Park, Eastern Washington, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, etc.
Thank you to the rally organizers. It was great to meet and ride with you guys.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This post is late, but I just got home on Sunday (7/23) from my three week trip. After the rally I toured through Montana, Glacier Park, Eastern Washington, Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, etc.
Thank you to the rally organizers. It was great to meet and ride with you guys.
Sounds like you had a great ride after the Rally, Mel! It was good to meet you and get to ride with you.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Ahem! Far be it from me to cast aspersions toward our esteemed administrator, but so far a date/location has not been set for the 8th National Rally.

I'm just sayin.....

:rolleyes1:

Mike

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
LOL... thanks for the gentle reminder... I'm shooting for June 27-30.

Top Bottom