7th Nat'l NT Rally - July 5-8, 2017 - Spearfish, SD

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil, I'm all set at Bell's--checking in on the 4th and leaving on the 8th. Looks like I will be turnpiking it from Maine--running mostly on I-90. I'll just run the Shelby in cruise and get about 25MPG. Am really looking forward to this mini-vaation. I have not been out of Maine for three years.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Looks like I will be turnpiking it from Maine--running mostly on I-90.
Watch your speed on I-90 in Indiana, especially around the toll booth areas. Last year while we were in Elkhart everyone was patrolling I-90 it seemed like....:rolleyes1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Thank you for that information. I usually set my cruise control 5MPH over the speed limit and cruise all day. I avoid weaving. I will watch it in Indiana. The Shelby GT does attract LEOs so I am particularly careful.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It's funny, when I had a silver Corvette, it did not attract near as much attention. The black Shelby probably looks more intimidating.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
We had a 2001 Mustang Cobra convertible that we traded in on a new 2003 Corvette...our insurance went down...:confused: When I asked the USAA agent why she explained that "Young Lieutenants drive Mustang convertibles and get in to trouble, Colonels drive their Corvettes to the golf course. She obviously had never seen my wife, a retired Lieutenant Colonel (LTC), driving either the Cobra or the Corvette. :rolleyes1: :rofl1:

I think LEO's use a similar logic on who to watch. When they see the DV plates and my grey hair they soon lose interest in me. It's just that first Oh Crap! Downshift! Brakes! split second that gets my blood pressure up! :eek1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I don't try to figure out the LEO logic. I find them to be a great bunch of people. The Shelby has a Maine Veteran plate with a Bronze Star. My new car (bought 2 days ago) is a 2017 Ford Escape--also Black with a gray interior. That car has a Maine Disabled Veteran Plate. Will see how often that gets stopped. It is amazing how much power Ford gets out of a 2L EcoBoost 4Cyl engine--245HP! This is the first car I have ever owned with an automatic transmission--although this car has a Sport mode with paddle shifters. It will take some time to get used to all the electronics.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It is amazing how much power Ford gets out of a 2L EcoBoost 4Cyl engine--245HP!
The 2.3L EcoBoost in our new Mustang is over 300HP...a little more power than our 01 Cobra had. Adding a "tune" from Ford Performance brings it to just under 400HP....and keeps your 36/36,000 factory warranty in place if a Ford dealer does the install / re-flash. You don't need a good set of tools to add serious power anymore, a laptop will do just fine...:smile:

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Looks like my leave request was approved "tentatively". All the parts I ordered to refresh the DR650 have come in to prep for the trip. Barring anything unexpected I should be able to leave Eastern Kansas on the 3rd. I really enjoyed riding up from Colorado like I did in 2015. Now that I know there are two Culvers in the Greeley/Loveland area, I should be able to meet the Colorado crew the morning of the 4th. I think this time I will find a place to stay in Greeley or Loveland instead of Fort Morgan.

Where are the best firework shows in Spearfish?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks like my leave request was approved "tentatively". All the parts I ordered to refresh the DR650 have come in to prep for the trip. Barring anything unexpected I should be able to leave Eastern Kansas on the 3rd. I really enjoyed riding up from Colorado like I did in 2015. Now that I know there are two Culvers in the Greeley/Loveland area, I should be able to meet the Colorado crew the morning of the 4th. I think this time I will find a place to stay in Greeley or Loveland instead of Fort Morgan.

Where are the best firework shows in Spearfish?
If you wouldn't mind having to walk upstairs to use a bathroom, you'd be welcome to stay at our house. You'd also have to sleep on a hide-a-bed, but my kids have said it's pretty comfortable.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Phil,

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that. We can work out the details when it gets closer.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I sm going to have to pass on rhiss year. John has other comitmrntd for that time frameMYnext year???/e are doing military reunion for whelus ab ersonel etc in /Tucson in late /sept.

/eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I am not going to make the rally. I am still a working man (1 more year) and as a teacher, I have a 9 week break for summer, which seems like a bunch of time to just ride my motorcycles. However, I teach at a school 100 miles from where my home is, so I am away from my home, family, and wife during the week. Seeing how the Rally is cutting into the Fourth of July holiday, and coupled with the fact I also kayak, play golf, and have a new motor-home to spend my free time with, there just isn't enough time to play, take care of the home projects I want to do, and travel to spend time with our 6 kids and 6 grand-kids. I have always wanted to do more riding in and around the Washington-Oregon-British Columbia areas closer to home. Due to health issues, my wife who rides also, can only do shorter rides. So, I will miss riding in that part of the world and smoking cigars and drinking beer at Bells while listening to all of the embellished stories from you characters. Take care and ride safe.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I am not going to make the rally. I am still a working man (1 more year) and as a teacher, I have a 9 week break for summer, which seems like a bunch of time to just ride my motorcycles. However, I teach at a school 100 miles from where my home is, so I am away from my home, family, and wife during the week. Seeing how the Rally is cutting into the Fourth of July holiday, and coupled with the fact I also kayak, play golf, and have a new motor-home to spend my free time with, there just isn't enough time to play, take care of the home projects I want to do, and travel to spend time with our 6 kids and 6 grand-kids. I have always wanted to do more riding in and around the Washington-Oregon-British Columbia areas closer to home. Due to health issues, my wife who rides also, can only do shorter rides. So, I will miss riding in that part of the world and smoking cigars and drinking beer at Bells while listening to all of the embellished stories from you characters. Take care and ride safe.
Well then, I guess we'll see you next year... Now that you've committed to that event. LOL.. sorry you won't be able to make this one.

I made reservations today for Chris' campground. Lana, who I spoke to sounds like a gal who gets things done and has fun while getting them done. I am thinking about bringing my new NC700XD. I have been to Spearfish before on the NT. While the NT has a better seat,and better wind protection, I would like to see how the NC does by comparison. I have been reading comments and tips for two years by the sites contributors and it wii be great to meet some of the nice folks who have been so helpful.

Top Bottom