7th Nat'l NT Rally - July 5-8, 2017 - Spearfish, SD

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The 4/32 is total tread depth in the center. And the 1500 miles is each way, not counting local trips at Spearfish.
OK you're taking the scenic route. You'll need a new tire. New tires ride soooooo nice. Makes you wonder why you didn't replace them sooner.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
But I'll be okay. The tires may not last for the full round trip, but they should last to get me to Rapid City.
You might get in touch with Rice's Honda and have them order the tire you want so it'll be there when you're in Spearfish.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You guys are KILLIN' me here! We are looking at 90s each and every day of this trip and you are worried about getting a few extra miles out of your tires?
Your life is riding on those tires...replace them BEFORE you need to. My very good friend Kalib returned from a trip around Yellowstone. His Harley did fine.
His friend's 1981 Gold Wing blew a tire but the guy was unhurt and managed to get the bike stopped without going over.....

Chris with new tires

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Already did. :) But thanks for worrying about me. I can see it now. I pull up in the campground and everyone breaks out a bottle to celebrate that I actually made it! :D

I'm a little nervous that the guy checking the tires didn't look at the right size, or right brand. I should have more faith. :) But supposedly, they have a complete set of Dunlop Roadsmart III tires for me. There's a $60 rebate that expires on the 4th, so I think I'll call them back tomorrow and "buy" the tires.

As a year around commuter, I'm not caught out of sorts like this. I watch my tires and can estimate how long I have before I need replacements, and order new tires early. The Metzeler Roadtec 01s were bought and paid for about two months before I needed them. I just never anticipated needing new tires this quick. When your last tires lasted 20,000 miles...why would you assume you'd have a problem reaching 6000?

Chris
Chris, we'll already have the bottle broken out, but if you make it, we'll take another drink in your honor. :rofl1:

I'm pretty sure that Rice's will have a set of Roadsmart IIIs waiting for you. That's what they had when I needed a rear tire with no advance warning.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, I'm also thinking that riding a tad closer to the speed limit than you might do if you had new tires can help extend the life of those you've got on the bike.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
High temps combined with high speed riding over long distances can rapidly accelerate tire wear so a thickness that appears to be OK to reach a certain destination could fall well short. I'd change the high mileage tire before leaving home because you're really not saving any money by trying to eek out every last mile! :-(

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
But I'll be okay. The tires may not last for the full round trip, but they should last to get me to Rapid City. As I go through Lolo Pass, I promise to ride on the sides of the tires to keep the wear down on the center.
:headbang: :hat3:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
High temps combined with high speed riding over long distances can rapidly accelerate tire wear so a thickness that appears to be OK to reach a certain destination could fall well short. I'd change the high mileage tire before leaving home because you're really not saving any money by trying to eek out every last mile! :-(
Isnt that the truth? Frosty had a tire issue one year and luckily everything went smoothly with the tire change in Rapid City. But you never know and its a time intensive procedure to ride there, wait out the change, and ride back...cuts into self medication time! ;)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, I'm also thinking that riding a tad closer to the speed limit than you might do if you had new tires can help extend the life of those you've got on the bike.
Very true. And two of my friends have recently recieved performance evaluation reports (speeding tickets) from the local police, one on a high performance bike which, as we all know, like to go fast just by themselves.
It is interesting to me that various counties have various ways to make tickets "go away" after a year if you keep your nose clean. In certain counties, you can only use this "out" once every seven years. Using the "out"
is great but if you mess up, then you suddenly have two tickets on your record...something your insurance company may frown upon. I love my cruise control on my FJR cause it wants to fly alot faster than I do and the cruise control
keeps me out of trouble. And no, I have never had a ticket and no, I never have nor ever will flash my state patrol badge to beat a ticket.....
The one thing (of many) I dont know is, with the increased use of computerized data bases, if one recieves a ticket in South Dakota and one in Montana and One in Wyoming on a trip to Spearfish, what is the State of WA told
and what appears on one's driving record there?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I made good time--especially in SD where I was running in the 90s. Had some really nasty downpours east of Chicago and managed to survive I-90 through Chicago. Traffic moved at about 2nd gear and I seemed to find the wrong lanes. Everybody had their windows open. I did not want to run the AC in order not to overheat the engine. Good thing probably that I don't speak Spanish. I would suspect, by the intonation and the gestures, that there were some very creative explatives directed my way. Anyway, am safe and sound staying in Mitchell SD tonight--possibly tomorrow, and then off to Bell's in Spearfish. See you all soon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You're sure going to be there before any of us get there! Kevin and I will show up late on Tuesday.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
90's is a piece of cake. I might get there as early as Monday, Alex.

Mike

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The one thing (of many) I dont know is, with the increased use of computerized data bases, if one recieves a ticket in South Dakota and one in Montana and One in Wyoming on a trip to Spearfish, what is the State of WA told
and what appears on one's driving record there?
Just ask the Washington DMV who they have a reciprocal agreement with for reporting infractions. Back in the day my "trucker" ex-brother in law had drivers licenses from four states, that weren't reciprocal, in order to stay on the road. When the federally mandated CDL requirement came out that ended his so called "career"...:rolleyes1:

I suggest treating your driving record like your credit record....check it once in while. Here in Georgia I have my "MVR", or Motor Vehicle Record / Report, pulled every couple years. I can get it at any Drivers License Office to make sure there is no erroneous info on it. Insurance is high enough without paying a higher rate, or being arrested for an outstanding traffic warrant :eek1:, all because of a clerical error at GDOT...:rolleyes1:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Just ask the Washington DMV who they have a reciprocal agreement with for reporting infractions. Back in the day my "trucker" ex-brother in law had drivers licenses from four states, that weren't reciprocal, in order to stay on the road. When the federally mandated CDL requirement came out that ended his so called "career"...:rolleyes1:

I suggest treating your driving record like your credit record....check it once in while. Here in Georgia I have my "MVR", or Motor Vehicle Record / Report, pulled every couple years. I can get it at any Drivers License Office to make sure there is no erroneous info on it. Insurance is high enough without paying a higher rate, or being arrested for an outstanding traffic warrant :eek1:, all because of a clerical error at GDOT...:rolleyes1:
I am a heavy user of Cruise Control. I set it 5 MPH over the speed limit, except in towns, and just cruise away. Has worked for me since 1963 when I got my first car with cruise. On most highways--certainly interstates, the LEOs won't bother.. So far so good.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Bear,
Did you see the Corn Palace?
Make sure you stop at Wall Drugs for your free donut (veteran perk) (maybe coffee too).

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Traveller is packed and I'm heading out in about an hour. God willing, I will see y'all in Spearfish! Everyone have a safe ride!

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Safe travels Mike (and everyone else). I will also be starting that way this morning. I am going to take a side tour and visit Family on the way today, then meet up with Phil Tomorrow. Cya soon.

Top Bottom