7th Nat'l NT Rally - July 5-8, 2017 - Spearfish, SD

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Have a reservation @ Bells but will not know if I can make it until the last min. If I make it I will be in on Thursday. It would be great to see my NT friends again.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Coyote Chris and I are leaving Mon morning. Yellowstone, Beartooth, Big Horns, Cody and hope to see all on Thurs. Be safe.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Have a reservation @ Bells but will not know if I can make it until the last min. If I make it I will be in on Thursday. It would be great to see my NT friends again.
So if I can make it what do I bring? Should I bring, thisSAM_1646.jpg, this SAM_0839.jpg, or this SAM_1565.jpg? Decisions, Decision.:shrug2:

Or maybe this.SAM_0607.jpg:rofl1:

Last edited:

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Guess that my 5 MPH over the limit does not apply in SD on the 4th of July weekend. Got tagged outside of Mitchell doing 85 in an 80. The fine is $85.00. Wote a check and sent it in from my motel in Sturgis. This is my first- and hopefully last ticket ever. The State Trooper was very nice. Had to do what he had to do. See you all soon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Not very funny, but I can't help but laugh a little. Mitchell was where I gave up on my first attempt at a BBG. I had gotten 45 minutes behind my time line in the first 86 miles and was too ignorant to restart the clock in Limon. Then I made a routing error and decided north of Des Moines that I could save time by taking US-20 to Sioux City. Wrong. There was construction that led to detours before I got to Sioux City and then even more construction through Sioux City. At Mitchell, my GPS indicated I'd make it with ten minutes to spare, but I needed one gas stop just to have enough fuel to make it, plus two more -- one in Beaulah, WY, to mark my turnaround point to give me a few miles over 1500 on my way to Spearfish and then one there to stop the clock.

I just settled down into an 80mph cruise and, after making the stop for enough fuel to get me to Spearfish, I had a rabbit running 85-90. We were pounding along in the 103F temperature and the 25-35mph crosswind out of the south. I saw a maroon Ford coming up from behind and didn't think anything about it until it was alongside and I saw the Highway Patrol insignia on the door and the patrolman behind the wheel. He just nodded at me as he cruised past me. When he got aside my rabbit, I thought that poor guy was going to have a stroke when the patrolman waved at him.

The cop just kept rolling at between 95-100 and we tucked in behind him all the way to Rapid City where he got off the interstate. Then we slowed down a bit the rest of the way to Spearfish.

I guess you met a different officer.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Guess that my 5 MPH over the limit does not apply in SD
I usually use the same rule, but I've had 2 failures. Got written for 60 in a 55 zone twice, both by the state patrol. And in WI you can add another $100 to your ticket price. I don't know what tips the scale because there were faster people on the road than me, but I really was doing 60 so I had no excuse. I know a lot of people who add 7 - 10 mph to the speed limit and do just fine. I guess when it is not your day you will get the ticket.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Holed up at the Motel 6 in Sioux Falls, SD. Almost got nailed by a thunder-boomer but I outran it by a few minutes. Traveller likes the 80 mph speed limit in SD. He got a little frisky and I caught him doing 90 a time or two. I gotta warn him about the Troopers, but maybe Alex was the sacrificial lamb for the group ��

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Leaving in the morning for Spearfish. I'll ride to somewhere ND east of the Missouri River. Finish the trip on Wednesday.
See you folks in a couple days. Good to be on the road again.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Leaving in the morning, hope to be there in the afternoon.... but, we'll see with holiday traffic.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
artemedes (Kevin Jones) is at my house after riding from Great Bend, KS. We'll leave in the morning and meet Jim Moore in Crawford, NE. We should be to Spearfish by 4 or so.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Will see you guys at Bell's. Not even the 4th yet and people are shooting off firecrackers like crazy. Sounds like a firefight out there.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Have a safe ride to/from the National Rally and have fun guys! And I hope those who thought of leaving on "thin" tires made the swap to new tires before the trip! :)

Top Bottom