tire dimensions variance/acceptability

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I know I'm going to get a dozen different opinions and the tire snobs will beat me up too, but here goes:

I want to try a set of Shinko radial 005s
I can get the 120/70/17 58w for the front but the closest I can get to the OEM rear size is

160/60/17 69W

Is there any reason to think this size would be unacceptable for the NT?

For $168 a set, I'm willing to guinea pig these tires

Clay

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The size and aspect ratio for the rear tire are different so I don't know if they would fit. Hopefully, someone in the group has experimented with this and can advise you on fitment. The speedo/odo will obviously be incorrect after the tire swap as well. You pays yer money and you take yer chances....

Mike

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
If I understand correctly, all I would really be doing is adding 5mm of tread width to either side of the tire?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I was talking to a friend of mine on Friday. He rides a BMW (well, sort of a friend. LOL) R1200GS.
He has just recently changed from Metzler to PR4s and he was shocked at the change in the handling of the bike.
The profiles of the two are VERY different and the bike does not turn in as well as before.
He has run wide on fast sweepers a couple of times and crossed the centre line.
He says that he is now adjusting for the difference and prefers the ride and feeling of the PR4s as they are much smoother and more comfortable.
He has not tried wet-grip yet but is hoping for an improvement on the Metzler as they tended to move around a bit in the wet.
As I have mentioned on other threads, I prefer the feel of the old Pilot Active Bias Ply tyres to the PR4 but the latter has much better grip in the wet.

Macka

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
My local dealer just reorders OEM tires directly from Honda.
Honda Corporate doesn't stock the original NT's size but they always have the larger tires from the NC700.
The NC's tires fit the NT just fine and I don't see or feel any difference.
I am usually out the door (installed) for a little over $300.

Sancho

Front Tire = 120/70ZR17 radial

Rear Tire = 160/60ZR17 radial

Reactions: ett

ett

If I remember correctly someone on this forum tried a 160 and said even though wider it cleared when mounted on the rear.

If you are looking for a value tire that comes in the correct size look at Conti Motion tires.

http://www.compacc.com/p/continental-conti-motion-sport-touring-radial-z-rated-rear
Keep in mind; that using a wider tire could possibly result in a smaller contact patch.
Placing a wider than designed tire on a given wheel. Can cause the tire to become more curved; hence a smaller contact patch.

And good recommendation in the Conti Motions.
Been using them since they came out. Best bang for the buck.

--ET

Going to wider/taller tires can be done safely - provided that you aren't installing the tire on a rim that is too narrow or too wide, and mounting the tire on a rim that is too wide/narrow will change the cross sectional shape of the tread and affect the size of the contact patch. You should stay with the size of rim the tire is made to fit (std.) when possible - however the tire manufacturers do allow a bit of a variance.

I use the attached tire fitment chart when I want to change to a different size tire, and I do understand that wider isn't always better - but sometimes you have to change sizes if you can't find a tire brand/model in the OEM size.
Motorcycle_Rim-to-Tire_Chart.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom