Lid repair

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I rough-sanded my silver lids with 80-grit sandpaper and rattle-canned them with flat black. I really liked the look and will get around to doing the same thing to the set of slightly scratched silver lids that came off of Chuck Henderson's ST700V.

Attachments

Last edited:
I just purchased NT700V/ The prior owner had dropped bike in Driveway. Lifted and dropped to other side/ Of course non of us have done such a thing/ There are scratches on both lids. Being fuzzy want to fix. I can not find place to buy new lids. Or/ possible send away to paint/ Ideas/suggestions

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
If you really want to buy big lids, go to davidsilverspares.com. They might not have them instantly, because their source of part is the UK and they only get them when they can fill a shipping container. But that lets them deliver them here for less and shipping charges go from around $100 to $17. They also can get (or have) things like the OEM undercowl and lots of little parts.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
My favorite solution to the scratched lid problem was to sand them with 80-grit paper and paint them rattle-can flat black. But now I've got stickers on the lids I don't want to replace so I'm just living with a few scratches.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I would highly recommend that you pay strict attention to all Phil has to say reguarding lid repai/& fixes. He was the king of the lid scrunchers for some time and at one time everyone wanted to be on his next list where he would process dmaged lids for a very fair price, but then he learned other ways to do things and Phils big lid source in /fort Morgan went away!!!:frown::shrug2::rofl1:

Eldon

Bike
2010 NT700V
If you really want to buy big lids, go to davidsilverspares.com. They might not have them instantly, because their source of part is the UK and they only get them when they can fill a shipping container. But that lets them deliver them here for less and shipping charges go from around $100 to $17. They also can get (or have) things like the OEM undercowl and lots of little parts.
David Silver Spares has a warehouse in Hanover, Pa. To save shipping I picked them up since I live only an hour from Hanover. Also, I still feel the easiest and permanent repair is to use external draw latches. I also installed a couple hooks inside the panniers and use mini bungies to hold my bag liners against the bike and not against the lids. I had to have them painted to match the custom paint job on my NT, it cost me $150.00 at a local body shop.

IMG_2650.jpg

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I used truck bed liner paint to do my lids and added a rubber bumper strip. I have a knee that will without warning not hold up the bike, and it had been down since did this on only had to reattach the bumper strip. Even when I manged to break my ankle and 5 ribs the Honda bumper and the paint did a nice job of not showing much damage, just replaced the Honda bumper.

Top Bottom