Eastern Part of WA North Cascade Highway

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
At breakfast, my wife pointed out that we are one of three parts of the country not in the 90's which will change for us next week. I told her that she was right and I should go for a motorcycle ride. Now that I think about it, maybe she was referring to gardening.

The 4 day, 44th WA BMW Cascade Country Rendezvous was taking place at the Fairgrounds at Republic in north WA. It was only 122 miles away on WA 20. Called Coyote Chris to see if he wanted to play hooky too. Besides, he needs to put miles on that new FJR.

WA 20 (North Cascades Highway) is well known for the segment in NW WA from Winthrop west through the North Cascades National Park (approx. 95 miles). The section of the road we rode today is east and runs through the Colville National Forest in the northeast part of the state. We rode north from Spokane on US 395 to Kettle Falls. There we turned west on WA 20 and crossed the Columbia River. After a pleasant afternoon looking at motorcycles and talking to riders, we reversed the route. A very pleasant ride.

I hesitated to post this because to poor riding conditions in other parts of the country. Then I remember that I enjoy reading about trips people are taking when it is too bad to ride here. It was 70 - 83 degrees during our ride, very nice indeed.

Looking North toward Canada.

"Who brought the Yamaha and Honda to the BMW Rendezvous?" Just kidding there was an assortment of bikes including an African Twin.

Attachments

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It was one of those spontanious trips that really worked out. 260 miles of great day. My bike had 1250 miles on it going into the ride....found a Chevron station that had its own above ground tank with pump dedicated to non-ethanol 91 Premium. Boaters and old car guys were almost a continuous stream. After Frosty and I separated, I was on a back road and a doe with two fawns crossed the road in front of me, one at a time in the heavy vegitative area....but no close call....
Talked with a guy at the rally with a Weestrom about his bike for quite awhile...he said one rally participant with a new Africa Twin holed an engine case somehow and they fixed it with metal expoxy for now....bummer. Seemed like a nice group of folks for the most part. Nice camping area in the fairgrounds, and Republic WA has good amenities.....
We are about to be slammed with 10 days of 90s and Oshkosh WI will have a high of 78 in four days so its our turn in the box......
Lessons learned today: Its much easier to pass a car with a 150 HP bike than a 67 hp bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd sit up there wishing I could touch the ground when I stopped. Actually, I sat on one and on the VF1200X (or whatever that thing is called). I could get both toes down firmly on the 1200, could get one toe down (barely!) on the Africa Twin.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Yesterday, it was 96 here with a heat index of 106 but it looks like we'll get some relief in the next few days. :)

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Yesterday, it was 96 here with a heat index of 106 but it looks like we'll get some relief in the next few days. :)
I remember that weather growing up in the northern part of that state and watch the weather.
In Spokane we had a very early and warm Spring and fairly cool Summer with a warm spot early. We may be catching up this week.

It was just a perfect day for a motorcycle ride and had to share.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Finding a shorter adventure type bike was one of the things that attracted me to the little Zongshen CX-250 sold by CSC. It was the same seat height as my NT with its Russell DayLong saddle. But I've decided that 250cc isn't enough the kind of traveling I like to do.

Top Bottom