Trick to removing exhaust???

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Is there a trick to removing the exhaust? I am trying to get the rear wheel off for the very first time ever and I am about to try a hammer to et the exhaust to slide off of the pipes. Am I missing something or are they just really stuck?

OP
OP
Rand soper
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Yeah, after I posted I found the video. Its too bad he didn't show the struggle to get the muffler off the pipes as that is where I am at. I guess I will continue wiggling :mad1:

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Has it started to move?

Mine does not come off easily, and I am careful with how much I deflect the exhaust pipes. Although I have spares, I still am using the original two silver cylindrical gaskets. Clean everything good before reassembly.

Bike
2013 Red NT700VA
Just 'sticktion' - no secret hidden fasteners. Mine took a lot of heaving rearwards and wiggling before it eventually started to slide off. A bit scary seeing the downpipes flexing a lot but it did come off safely after probably 10 minutes of pulling. I didn't hit it to free it because I couldn't really see anywhere to hit it without risking denting the silencer. Good luck.

OP
OP
Rand soper
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
It finally came off. I sprayed the joints with a liberal amount of aerokroil and then went to dinner with my wife. When I cam back, after a fair amount of wrestling it came off. The cylindrical fiber gaskets look good and I will clean and reuse them. I suspect that the next time it needs to come off it will be easier, or seem that way because I know what to expect.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Since there is so much wrestling involved I would strongly consider strapping the center stand to the front wheel to prevent pushing the bike off the center stand while wrestling it.
I did that years ago with the rear wheel (650 Yamaha) off and the swingarm smashed my big toe. ER room visit for stitches. I try not to repeat the same mistakes.

Brad

Did you get the exhaust off?

Similar to above. Pulling and persuasion with a rubber mallet worked for me. ARKNT is right on target about securing the center stand.

OP
OP
Rand soper
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I did get it off. WAY more pulling and twisting than I was comfortable with but it all went back together fine and no exhaust leaks so all is well. The new RP4's are awesome! (that's why the exhaust came off)

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Is there a trick to removing the exhaust? I am trying to get the rear wheel off for the very first time ever and I am about to try a hammer to et the exhaust to slide off of the pipes. Am I missing something or are they just really stuck?
I remove the rear wheel without removing the muffler. Just loosen the clamp that bolts the muffler to the frame and this allows you enough room to back out the brake bolt just far enough to remove the brake. Not much room but it can be done, I do it.

Top Bottom