Nt 700v - new replacement tires cupping at 3000 miles

timonbik

I bought my NT700V about 2 years ago. It had 17000 kms on the odometer when I bought it. The tires had plenty of tread left but they were badly cupped. I put 5000 additional noisy kms on the Bridgestones before changing them this spring to a set of Nankings. I have put 5000km on the new tires so far and the rear is already showing signs of cupping. I have had many motorcycles with many different brands of tires and have yet to see a bike cup tires like this one. I run my tires on the hard side, 35 psi front, 40 psi rear I'm 225lbs and we often ride 2 up and have the top box option. It has been extremely hot here with temps well into the 90's. I would think that decreasing the tire pressure would cause more severe cupping. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I suspect that your rear tyre pressure is too low. Are your measurements taken with the tyre cold or after you have been riding for a while (they are supposed to be checked when these are cold)

Cupping is commonly caused my low tyre pressure BUT it can also be caused by suspension problems (shock, swing arm bearings, wheel bearings etc)

Seagrass

OP
OP

timonbik

Rear wheel bearings were changed when the tires were put on. All else appears to be fine. Bike handles superbly. Shop had tires at 35 psi cold. Will bump up to 40 psi cold to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks, Tim

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Rear wheel bearings were changed when the tires were put on. All else appears to be fine. Bike handles superbly. Shop had tires at 35 psi cold. Will bump up to 40 psi cold to see if it makes a difference.
Thanks, Tim
Fwiw, from the owners manual the tires should be at 42 rear/36 front. Some NT's were shipped with a sticker that had the wrong tire pressure info. Here is the recall for the decal sticker on the NT700V that stated incorrect tire pressure. The sticker should say 42 rear/36 front.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
You might also check the swingarm bearings for wear/looseness. It doesn't seem that tire cupping is reported as a big problem on this site. I wish I got better mileage from my tires but they wear pretty evenly.
I had a Concours C-10 that I tried to fix front tire cupping on but was never totally successful.

Good Luck,
Brad

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Just my opinion but I think you need more pressure front and rear even when solo but especially two-up.
At 35/40 you will be getting a lot of tyre flex when two-up.
I would try 40/45 for two-up or with luggage.

Macka

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I run mine at 38/44 and never have any cupping.
An ex-Michelin guy recommends pressures in this range for the NT700 rather than the 36/42.

Tyre pressures are dependent on the type of riding you do. For the hot, dry slab (and for hot, dry twisties); you need slightly higher pressure. For the cold, wet, winter roads; you need a slightly lower pressure. So, as a general rule of thumb, the Honda recommended pressure is great for winter but you should use slightly more in the summer.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Macka,

I've experimented with various pressures and 40 on the front could be a little too bone-jarring even with 2 up for most people. One-up, 38/44 is slightly harder/harsher than the recommended but, easily tolerable especially if you've come from sports bikes.

For Two-up with full luggage, I'd recommend 38/46. It depends on how comfortable your seat is and how smooth the roads. :D If it's too harsh bring the rear down to 45 (cold).

Note: All pressures must be checked when the tyres are cold. Do not ride to the service station and check them there, your readings will be wrong. Get a high-quality gauge and pump and check them at home, in the garage, preferably daily just before riding as part of your P.O.W.D.E.R checks

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Yes John.
Solo I usually run 38/44 and when heavily laden (but not 2 up), 38/46.
It was just a suggestion to see if it helps the cupping problem.
Of course, different tyre models will feel different at the same pressures.
Since I installed the TPMS I have been amazed how quickly the pressures rise, even on a cold day.
Within 2-3km the rear tyre pressure will increase 2-3psi at an ambient 15C. The front is slower to rise.

Macka

Top Bottom