Surging and stalling problem ?? 'Boosterplug'

Bike
NT700A Deauville in red
My 2008 (6,500 miles) NT700A is afflicted by the occasional and unpredictable 'stalling' symtoms descibed in some other posts, along with the wierd on/off throttle surge at low throttle openings.

I've changed the plugs and caps and run through injector cleaner and fuel H20 remover with no improvement.

The MIL light had not come on whilst riding but I got the 'flash' codes anyway (via the diagnostic socket - thank you Mr Haines Manual!) This only gave an MAP sensor fault and
I suspect this was a consequence of the stalling behaviour rather than its cause, especially in view of other posts which say that changing the MAP sensor has not cured the problem.

I have now gone over as many connector blocks as I could find, separated them a few times before reassmbly with a small amount of 'switch' lube on the brass contacts.
So far the problem has gone away --but will it be back???? Hmmm

Anyone else tried anything reccently to cure this potentialy dangerous problem????

By the way has anyone tried the 'Booster Plug' which is supposed to smooth out low speed riding?
The BMW twin boys seem to rate it.

Cheers, Steve P

bicyclist

I'm one of those BMW twin boys who has used the Booster Plug. BMW seem to run a very lean mixture at idle, probably to meet emissions standards, which can cause stalling problems. The theory behind the Booster Plug is that it fools the Intake Air Temperature sensor into thinking that the air is cooler than actuality, causing the mixture to be slightly enriched. It seems to help many, but not all, BMW twins.
A little research on the net will find much less expensive ways of accomplishing the same result.

The NT is a different bird. It isn't as highly tuned and doesn't seem to suffer the problems of the BMW twins. My guess is that the relatively few stalling problems we hear about with the NT are not related to injection mapping, but are the result of other problems. I doubt that the Booster Plug will fix your problem.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Here is my thread about MAP sensor faults, stalls, and bad idling. My NT has run fine for the nearly 3 years since it happened. Read thru it, it may help. My NT was a herky-jerky dangerous mess when this was going on. I never nailed down the fault. If I had to bet on the cause it would be either 1) the MAP sensor connector wasn't clicked in tightly and/or 2) the throttle bodies were not seated tightly into the rubber insulators causing an air leak into the rear cylinder.

Other thoughts:

-If not already done, clear your ECM of previous fault codes (MIL) so you will know if a new fault occurs. It is easy to miss a fault when riding but the ECM will store it. If your ECM is not cleared of your past MAP fault, you can't determine when/if the fault recurs. If you aren't sure when the ECM fault codes were last (if ever) cleared, the MAP fault that was stored may have happened at some earlier unrelated time to your current running issues. You don't want to be chasing a false symptom.
-The MAP sensor fault (FI/MIL) is either a low or high voltage. If your NT is running poorly AND it is getting MAP faults, I would not rule out the MAP as being a cause, not a symptom of a different cause. Logically, it is difficult to point to a failing component that could cause poor running and voltage problems (hi or lo) at a MAP sensor. Some will say battery volts and regulator, but if those were failing, there should be other symptoms included.... poor starting, dim lights, measured voltage low, etc.
-Booster Plug? 1000's of engines run smooth at low speeds without a "Booster Plug." I imagine your Deauville ran smooth at one time and should be no reason it won't again without a Booster Plug. It simply lies to the ECM to make it run richer.

Good luck, & keep us posted on your findings.

Top Bottom