Hard start - code 19

timonbik

I've owned my bike for approx. 11000kms. It has 29,000km on it. Recently I've had a few hard starts with Code 19. Always happens when bike is hot, usually after sitting for approx. an hour. Bike always starts after opening the throttle and the engine light remains on but the bike runs flawlessly. Turn the ignition off and restart and the engine light is off and bike runs fine. Happened the first time about 5000km ago, then once more about 1000km later then nothing for 4000km until yesterday, then once again today. I understand code 19 is the CPS but the bike does start and runs fine every time once throttle is opened up. Comments, suggestions.
Thanks, Tim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Tim, I've had a few starts like that over the years, but I've never gotten a Code indication after it. Sorry I can't help.

I remember back in the late-50s / early 60s when my dad transitioned from flying a Beechcraft Twin Bonanza with 260hp Lycomings with carbs to a Baron with 260hp fuel-injected Continentals that hot starts could be a problem, getting to be their worst after 15 minutes to an hour after landing.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
A balky CPS is usually intermittent as you described but at some point it may fail completely. I changed mine after two no-start situations on a trip, both times at a gas station.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Crank Position Sensor (normally referred to as a CPK for the NT700).

The computer (ECU) uses the pulses from the CPK to know the engine is running and what position the crank is at during the engine cycle.

If this is malfunctioning the engine will not start.

Several members have had to replace this part. Some do it themselves and others get their bike shop to do the work.

Seagrass

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Honda calls it a Pulse Generator. Part number 30300-MEW-921. Costs about $35 US. Page 11-12 in the service manual shows its location

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
Crank Position Sensor (normally referred to as a CPK for the NT700).

The computer (ECU) uses the pulses from the CPK to know the engine is running and what position the crank is at during the engine cycle.

If this is malfunctioning the engine will not start.

Several members have had to replace this part. Some do it themselves and others get their bike shop to do the work.

Seagrass
Thanks for clarifying, I'm not too old to learn!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The clutch cover and the exhaust has to be removed. The crank position sensor is at 1 o'clock location.

Clutch cover removed.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom