Getting a Hot Seat

Tonydtiger1971

Good evening everyone. I've put several hundred miles on the bike now and was wondering if anyone else gets a hot seat after an hour or two or riding? Are there any suggestions or already made posts I haven't found that can tell me how to deflect the engine heat? I have the same problem on the GL500 which is even more difficult due to the transverse twin engine.

OP
OP

Tonydtiger1971

There's a rubber "gasket" that fits on at the rear of the tank. If it is positioned correctly, it helps block heat coming up from the engine. However, till you're used to putting the seat on, it is really easy to have it shift as you slide the seat forward.
Yes, I think mine's missing in action. Did a little research last night and saw one on eBay for 8.00

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just to clarify, we're talking about the rubber over the battery area. I have one at the base of the tank.
Hmmm... the only rubber piece I've got near the battery is the strap that holds the battery in. The only other rubber piece is the one that wraps around the back of the tank.

OP
OP

Tonydtiger1971

If that rubber at the base of the tank and under the front of the seat is installed correctly and not buckled and letting heat get by, is it the tank itself that's getting hot?

My tank used to get pretty hot, especially sitting in stop-n-go traffic. I put some tank protectors on the sides and that alleviated a lot of the heat.

Chris
No, the tank is not all that hot, just the seat where I'm sitting. Maybe it is just the hot days we've been having.

Hi, Tonydtiger1971,

please what you found for this problem?

This is the only thing I do not like on this bike - the heat that come from the engine to front side of the seat... Thank you!!
Jarda.

Yes, I think mine's missing in action. Did a little research last night and saw one on eBay for 8.00

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
That black rubber piece was not fitted to all models (it was not fitted to Australian models) so if it is not fitted you can order it as a spare part.

The same part fits models from 2007 through to the last model made, 2012 from memory.

Seagrass

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
+1 on Silshooter's comment about using a beaded seat cover. The beads space your backside away from the upholstery plus allow cooling air to circulate. I've also found they do wonders in regards to keep your bottom dry when riding all day in the rain since you're not sitting in a puddle of water!

ps. I would still replace that special formed rubber molding at the back of the fuel tank. Without that, the heat of the engine can come straight out to heat up the seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tonydtiger1971

Hi Jarda, as it is getting colder here in TN the heat is not as much of a problem. thought about a piece of reflective heat shielding I could get from work (think heavy duty aluminum foil with a foam back) to make something of a block right up there.

Hi Phil - please what it was that helped from heat from the engine?

Thank you very much in advance. (The problem is where the tank and the seats meets - where I sit..)

Jarda.

Hi Dirt Flier - yes I will definitely buy beaded seat cover - I like it. I have a friends in US who can buy it for me and bring to Europe, Czech republic...

PS: Do you mean - you recommend to replace - buy a new rubber thing even i I have one on the bike? Thank you very much. Jarda.

Hi Chris!
Thank you. For checking the black rubber gasket - all I need to do is to remove the seat, or I also need to unmount the fuel tank???

Thank you,

Jarda.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jarda,

If you have the "Rubber, Fuel Tank" (at least that's what it is called on the parts fiche I've looked at. It's the part numbered "29" in the picture of the parts associated with the Fuel Tank), OEM Part # 19140-MEW-D20, you don't need to replace it. If you don't have it, it would be worth getting. Here in the US, I can buy it from Bike Bandit for $14.95. They say that Honda's price for it is $15.55. If you have a source for Honda parts there Czech, they can order it for you. It should be cheaper than to buy it here and pay for international shipping. Again, the Part number would be the same as here, I think: 19140-MEW-D20.

My bike has never felt particularly hot there, but I do almost always wear a riding suit or riding pants. I've never had a beaded seat cover, but I would guess that it might help with heat at least a little bit.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
And it is critical that you install that rubber piece correctly. Look at a diagram. It is easy to do it wrong.

Since it was just 11 degrees here this morning (I did not ride the bike to work) - I am wondering.

Does removing this rubber strip help to keep me warm when I ride on cold days?

Top Bottom