Should the Final Drive Hub be HOT after going 30-miles?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I just checked mine after a 50-mile ride at 60 mph on a 72 degree day. Final drive was 128 to 125 degrees. Drive shaft was at 118 degrees. Rear wheel was 108 degrees.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700v
That's helpful. I am purchasing an infrared thermometer so I can check the actual temp. I'm less concerned now, as I went for a ride with some friends: one on an 1998 Goldwing, one on a 2011 Victory, and one on a 2012 Goldwing. Only the 2012 Goldwing was just slightly warm, the other two bikes' final drive hubs were just has hot as my NT's was. The guy with the 2012 Goldwing says he uses synthetic Hypoid Oil in his final drive, so maybe that helps reduce the heat.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
That's helpful. I am purchasing an infrared thermometer so I can check the actual temp. I'm less concerned now, as I went for a ride with some friends: one on an 1998 Goldwing, one on a 2011 Victory, and one on a 2012 Goldwing. Only the 2012 Goldwing was just slightly warm, the other two bikes' final drive hubs were just has hot as my NT's was. The guy with the 2012 Goldwing says he uses synthetic Hypoid Oil in his final drive, so maybe that helps reduce the heat.[/QUOTE

If you are going to use an infra-red thermometer you should put a piece of black tape on the surface before you aim the "dot".
A reflective surface, in particular a silver one, will give an inaccurate reading. A dark matt finish will give the most accurate reading.

Macka

Top Bottom