Rust-in-Peace's 150K NT, Seagrass from Oz, and Me...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can't type very well and won't be using many caps -- sorry 'bout that.

R-I-P has an NT in Knoxville, tn, and a super tenere. he needs to get rid of the NT by sept 28th.

seagrass lives in Australia and wants to buy r's nt and give it to me as a back-up bike AND have a bike he can ride if/when he gets to the US. i'm in Greeley, CO, close to 1400 miles from Knoxville. I had hand surgery Wednesday and won't be able to ride for 3 months or so. given licensing, insurance, and storage costs, I don't know if it makes sense for to have R-I-P's bike at all, but seagrass wants to have it so he'll have it available when he drops in to say "G'day."

anybody willing or able to make something work out -- either with or without me in the equation? this could be your chance to have custody of a historic landmark motocycle and make a contribution to international relationships!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I'm a lot closer to Knoxville than you are and have enough room in my garage for the NT. I can store it here, for free, for a few months until you can get it out to Colorado or until Seagrass flies in to Atlanta and rides it out of here....;) I'll need to trailer it down so you'll be into it for the cost of a U-Haul trailer rental. I have all the "stuff" I'll need to secure it in the trailer from when I picked up my FJ. As for the transfer paperwork and insurance "stuff" y'all need to handle that one. Let me know if you guys want to go this route....

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Now that's interesting. You will have to wash it for sure. Rustinpeace didn't even wash for sale pics!

One thing I want to note first is that the bike is not officially sold yet and I do have the bike for sale on ADVrider (I'm laughing at some of the comments over here http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2011-honda-nt700v-750.1170736/ you will need to have an account or create an account to open that link.)and I plan to start posting it on FB in a few days. Having said that I think it would be great if Phil ended up with my NT. But I don't have a vehicle capable of transporting the bike anywhere and the bike needs to go to a good dealership that will fix it. Because interstate speeds is about all the bike wants to go giving it half throttle accelerates faster than under full throttle because the motor bogs down under full throttle.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Thanks for getting this happening Phil and Rustinpeace. If someone is able to help that would be GREAT so thanks for the offers so far.

Seagrass

Bike
I do not think it has been to the dealer but the MIL code suggests it is a faulty crank position sensor.

Seagrass

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Just a FYI on my local dealers...there isn't one around here I trust anymore. All the local independent dealers have been bought by chains that are pond scum...at best. Now the mechanics are "commissioned" based on what they install / sell rather than what they fix. Taking the NT to one of them would likely be very expensive....

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just a FYI on my local dealers...there isn't one around here I trust anymore. All the local independent dealers have been bought by chains that are pond scum...at best. Now the mechanics are "commissioned" based on what they install / sell rather than what they fix. Taking the NT to one of them would likely be very expensive....
His bike still has an active service contract IIRC. Cost isn't the issue, competence is.

Mike

Bike
If you have a buyer that is good, if it does not sell I am still keen to get it to Phil if we can make that happen.

Anyone else that thinks they can help I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Seagrass

KTM360mx bought my NT700V today so the bike will be heading to northern Alabama.

P.S. Sorry this idea didn't work out Phil & seagrass.

Bike
No problem. Thanks to everyone who was willing to help.

Good to see the bike has gone to a good home.

Seagrass

I put this in my introduction post, but thought some who are interested might miss it.

Just checking in with everyone- I'll snap a picture in the morning to show it in the new home.

So far about 400 miles on it since bought it. Rode from Knoxville through the Dragon to Topton NC on day one. Then back to Huntsville later in the week. Did a 120 mile ride Saturday morning, making sure things are sorted out.

Looks like the intermittent start was due to a broken GPS cable that was shorting out when it touched the frame. It was tapped to a hot wire and seems to have lead to the problems. Since removing the wire, I haven't had the problem. Who knows, we will see.

Haven't seen the drop in power since removing the wire either. It may still be there, but once I pass 90 mph, Im good. I haven't pushed it to the red line yet, mostly because it's a 700. If I really wanted speed, I'd ride something larger..... Oh, wait, I do!

Overall, great bike, really like it. handles well, light, short seat height and love the seat and windshield. Very comfortable bike. Kind of surprised they didn't sell more of them.

She's all cleaned up now- took it down to the frame and motor and went through everything, cleaned up some wire splices for the heated grips and gps, then cleaned it. Decarboned the top end with sea foam, plugs looked new, caps were fine, air filter was new or at least very clean, oils look good. next service will be at 160k which will include full fork service and maybe a shock rebuild.

Just ordering a few odds and ends- new foot peg rubber, new side case latches, nothing special, but will make the bike good as new.

Overall, great bike and Will was very honest in his descriptions and assessment of the bike. As far as I am concerned, Mrs KTM loves it, so I'm happy.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm really glad to hear that the problems the bike was having seem to have been fixed by eliminating the short in the GPS wire. I only have 115,000 miles on mine, but except due the problems caused by technician errors during final drive service, it seems as good as new to me. Well, except for scrapes and scratches from all my SAD episodes and my deer-kill.

I still may get around to making some 150K stickers if I can find a place that will make 'em 5-10 at a time instead of 50-100. If I do, I'll send you one -- the mileage on the stickers is connected to the bike, not the rider.

the stickers sound cool. If you have 50k stickers 3 stacked above each other may look good too. Be glad to display them for the forum.

Interested in some of the gatherings- would like to meet you guys!

The story about that gps cable is back around November of 2014 the power to my gps stopped working. The voltage was 12V at the fuse but 0.1V at the gps. So I just posi tapped into the old gps line, left the old line there and never thought about it again.

Then I took the good gps power line off the NT and onto my new Super Tenere.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
KTM, I thought the bike had 50K and 100K stickers on it; obviously not. Send me a Private Message with your snail mail address and I'll send you a 50K and a 100K sticker. I'll look into getting a few 150K stickers. I'm getting low on 50K stickers and more people earn them than the higher mileage ones, so, at least for now, I won't send you a stack of 50K stickers.

Keep that odo rolling!

Top Bottom