Broken Latch

Redrider251

Nice latches. I am in the UK and I have had a body side latch issue from virtually the day I owned it. I was not sure if it as like it when I bought it or I broke it but the left-hand front hook has broken off. I would guess from it being slammed shut. I have relied on one latch keeping it closed for around 75000 miles. I don't put much in there weight wise. It has only come undone once and that was about 4 weeks back in London and vehicles behind me started flashing me. Would replace it but being buried under body work I can't be bothered. I always try and line up the catches now and press closed.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..the forward latch jammed with old lubricant....]

I've found it's best to clean the latch mechanism with aerosol brake cleaner, then lube with silicone spray. The silicone doesn't attract dirt like a thicker lube would, plus it's a cinch to clean-off and relubricate!

Edit: Well, after doing some more reading, looks like exterior latches are in order.

Newbie with latch issues. My forward right side latch did not work when I purchased used at a dealer. I asked them if they'd fix it if I bought the bike and they agreed.

When they brought the bike out I asked the tech what he did to fix it and he replied that he replaced two screws that weren't long enough with longer ones. It worked great.

Fast forward four weeks and it doesn't latch. I can lock both latches independently with the lid open, the release you unlock the bags with closes perfectly and it unlocks perfectly. But when closing the lid, the forward latch will not work, even if you try and push only on the lid at the front latch.

I've watched the video from sound tech guy and have been careful to close the lids like he demonstrates, and have used them only a couple times since buying it.

I'm thinking where the tech screwed in the longer screws is where my problem might be. Does this sound like a good place to start or am I possibly overlooking anything?

Also, noticed the plastic where the retaining gizmo on the lid attaches is cracked, plan to repair that.

Thanks for any help............

Last edited:
Here is my guess to your dealer "fix." Your forward, right side latch posts in the saddle bag body had cracked at the ends of the 3/4" long screws Honda used. The bores for these holes extend much deeper down, so your dealer used longer screws, going through the cracked piece (which must have been still in one piece) and deeper down the bore. Eventually, the posts simply cracked further down, at the ends of the longer screws. That would be why one should build up around the posts with epoxy to create more strength. I can blame Honda for a poor design, but I can't blame Honda for my going down at a walking speed, twice on the left side, on ice in Colorado, which could not have been beneficial to the latch posts! All four posts cracked during a very bumpy ride on washboard dirt for about 15 miles. The latch mechanism itself is quite massive and carries some heft, and when banging along washboard roads (or any paved road in California!) all that up/down banging of that latch assembly mass goes straight up and down through four tiny posts. And it bangs a lot with that over-sprung, over-damped rear spring. Not good.

Tonydtiger1971

Ok, quick question, is it better to put the latches on the lids or on the motorcycle or just a preference?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ok, quick question, is it better to put the latches on the lids or on the motorcycle or just a preference?
I've got a set of latches that I'll install when and if my stock pannier latches fail. When I install them, I"ll put the latches on the motorcycle.

gbradley

Hello,

My left side pannier broke where the plastic holds the catch mechanism for the latch.

Do you know if the large panniers come with the two screws and catch mechanism? I need to know because when the plastic broke, the metal catch was lost.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Hello,

My left side pannier broke where the plastic holds the catch mechanism for the latch.

Do you know if the large panniers come with the two screws and catch mechanism? I need to know because when the plastic broke, the metal catch was lost.
Large lids do not come with the metal catch. I hate to say it, but the large lids will fail the same as the small ones. That's why I went with external draw latches from Southco. BB

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Bad news...when you buy the big lids, you only get the lids. The catch and screws are separate.

Bike Bandit has them:

(Part Name)............................. (Number required)
10: STRIKER, SADDLEBAG 81316-MEW-D20........ 2............. Ships within 1 to 2 business days $5.31 $5.31

22: SCREW, TAP (5X12) 93901-25210...............4.............. Ships within 1 to 2 business days $0.99 $0.99

I suppose it's obvious that you need two striker plates per lid and four screws per lid.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V
Hello,

I have some latches, but I'm leaving on a 12 day ride to New England on Wednesday and won't be back till October 2nd. I can dig them out then and ship to you free if you can wait. PM me. BB

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
No, unfortunately they don't. You have to move them off the originals or order a set.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
As a minimum I would fill/re-inforce the area where the screws and catch mech connect to the lid. It may not last forever but is cheap insurance.

Brad

Bike
Black NT680
I have 'double' broken latches and will have bought some latches to affix.
I've not drilled into plastic much; do people recommend rivets or just nuts and bolts? For what it's worth, I don't own a rivet gun and don't have compressed air.

Hopefully an image is attached with the pics of the latches.......

Thanks, Slob.WIN_20180323_18_57_28_Pro.jpg

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would probably use bolts and nuts. The bolts can be torqued correctly while rivets may squeeze the plastic too much and cause cracking. I would use large flat washers or better yet a backing plate under the nuts to spread out the load.
Others here have installed latches and can tell you how theirs worked out.

Brad

Bike
Black NT680
I would probably use bolts and nuts. The bolts can be torqued correctly while rivets may squeeze the plastic too much and cause cracking. I would use large flat washers or better yet a backing plate under the nuts to spread out the load.
Others here have installed latches and can tell you how theirs worked out.

Brad
Thanks, Brad - I wasn't aware of others who had bolted their latches on, so I'll take that route. Should it be successful, I'll share the images.

Regards, Slob

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Thanks, Brad - I wasn't aware of others who had bolted their latches on, so I'll take that route. Should it be successful
I drilled my holes oversized and put epoxy in when installing the latches. My hope was to equalize the stress on the plastic which obviously has a tendency to crack. Just be sure to tape off the area where you don't want epoxy to leak out onto your exterior.

IMG_0729.jpg
I decided to eliminate the entire latch system and installed external locking draw latches. i put them on both OEM, and large lids. Yes it was difficult to get both sets to line up and latch properly. Had to buy eight latches, all locking, keyed alike. The non-locking ones were more expensive...go figure! They are made by Southco, bought them on eBay. I use bag liners and also attached mini bungies inside the panniers to keep the pressure off the large lids.

I still can't figure out why my photos come out upside down!!!!!
Looks like a nice clean job , and the best solution.What part # are the latches?I see 4 installed, but you used 8? Thank you

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Looks like a nice clean job , and the best solution.What part # are the latches?I see 4 installed, but you used 8? Thank you
He put them on BOTH his standard panniers and the larger panniers.

Mike

Top Bottom