Garmin 590LM GPS - $519

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Chris:
First, you'll enjoy retirement. We just got back from Alaska and it was awesome, not on two wheels, but still was even more than we expected.
A couple of questions about this Garmin unit - is it Garmin's outlet store? Is the unit able to be wired directly into the bike. I've had cigerette style plug-ins and they seem to always work loose. And finally is this model more intended for off-road/trail riding or just as good for road touring? Please post an update when you get it and let us know how you like the unit. Jim

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Chris, you will enjoy retirement and we'll all be waiting for your Epic Post-Retirement Ride Report!

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks Chris, I'll check it out.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I bit the bullet and bought the 595LM and installed it several weeks ago. I like it so far but it will get its first big test next week en route to Birmingham. It is built much more solidly than the automotive GPS I was using.

Mike

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I have the 590 and I've used it on several long trips. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a great unit.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Glad you were able to Bluetooth everything together easily. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting my NCom, Droid and Garmin to play well simultaneously. Gotta read the manual some more.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike, I think I stumbled upon the answer fairly quickly and avoided a lot of hair pulling in the process.

The "secret" seems to be to pair everything to the Garmin and delete any pairings between the other devices.
  • Sena 10C Bluetooth headset paired to Garmin GPS.
  • The cell phone paired to the Garmin GPS.
  • All other pairings, like the cell phone to the Bluetooth headset are deleted.

This way, if I don't turn things on in the "right" order, they still make the right pairings. When I had the pairing still going between the Sena 10C and the smartphone, they would connect first and block the Garmin GPS from pairing with either.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I will have to try that.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Last year, I bought a 590LM factory refurb unit from GPS City and it has worked well for me.

Top Bottom