New Tires & "Old Dog/New Tricks"

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I brought my bike in yesterday for a set of new Michelin PR4 tires. I had watched all the videos on line and read all the postings, so I knew that as a newbie, this wasn't a project for a beginner. What amazed me was the 40+ year veteran mechanic, didn't remove the exhaust, nor the rear fender and was able to remove the rear wheel and remove the tire & rim. He did have a lift with a hole in the floor. The job was done fairly quickly and the front tire even faster. Two tires, mounting, balancing and labor came to $433.07 including the fee to dispose of the old tires.

So. . . my question to the mechanic afterwards, as I had watched from the waiting area window was, how did you torque the rear axle nut? I read that it was nearly impossible without removing the exhaust pipe or use of a crows foot wrench? His answer, "I didn't and I do it by feel. After over 40 years, I know how tight to make it." Okay, he took if for a test ride down the road and did at least 60 mph first, so I guess I am okay to ride it, but what do you guys think?

Second question on another subject (I forgot how to make new posts) - Anyone have an idea of how many NT700 bikes were imported to the US during the two years that Honda brought them in the country? The Honda dealer said he hadn't seen one before? Thanks!

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I use a crows foot wrench, without useing a torque wrench it only a guess.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I haven't checked prices in a while, but it sounds like you got a pretty good deal at $433.07 for two premium tires mounted and balanced at a Honda dealer.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That sounds pretty close. The only hard numbers I have seen are here (search for NT700V in the the document) where it states 1300 total, 21% were ABS. I believe this is only the number of NT700V's that were insured, so there propabably are more.
And that number is probably mostly 2010's since the study ran thru 2012 so not all 2011's, and some 2010's, weren't sold yet. We did a very unscientific study a few years ago here based on the last 5 VIN digits, the sequence number, and and the results indicated well less than 3,000 total. Of course you had to know about this forum to participate! :D

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
When I changed my own rear tire, I did not remove the exhaust or rear fender, nor did I torque the rear axle. My torque wrench is 45 years old. It was sent back to Snap-On for re-calibration once in the late eighty's. I guess my arm and wrist are as accurate as my torque wrench.

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks all for the replies. I guess 2,000 +/- NT70's would make it a model that this local Honda dealer might not have seen. They bought out an older dealer about a year ago who was in Crystal River, FL and then added the Honda line to the other bikes they sell - Victory, Suzuki, etc.

Oh, one final question - is 2,000 NT more or less than other models that Honda sells in the USA? I am sure there are zillions more Gold Wings, but what about other models? How does the NT stack up against them?

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't have any data but the NT is a low number unit. Honda didn't push them, didn't sell that well and we NT'rs are the leftovers. We all have our reasons we like them, mostly they just work. The European Deauville has been around a long time.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back in 2010, we did a Forum thread on this question. We had serial numbers for '10 models that went up to 23xx IIRC. The US import bikes were the first ones manufactured in 2009. Mine is SN 00079 and it was built in Sept, 2009. Seems to me that we were guessing about half were red bikes, and maybe half of the silver ones had ABS. My guess is about 4,000 total in both '10 and '11 models. There were over 50,000 NTs sold in the UK, Europe, and Asia, but that included both NT650s (1998-2005) and NT700Vs (2006-2013).

Tonydtiger1971

Back in 2010, we did a Forum thread on this question. We had serial numbers for '10 models that went up to 23xx IIRC. The US import bikes were the first ones manufactured in 2009. Mine is SN 00079 and it was built in Sept, 2009. Seems to me that we were guessing about half were red bikes, and maybe half of the silver ones had ABS. My guess is about 4,000 total in both '10 and '11 models. There were over 50,000 NTs sold in the UK, Europe, and Asia, but that included both NT650s (1998-2005) and NT700Vs (2006-2013).
Ok, So I wonder how many are still on the road today. Do you know where I might get a little history on my bike #805? Was the owner a member on here?

OP
OP
ADK Jim

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Thanks Phil. Hope the hand is getting better and you'll be ready to ride soon - at least you can type and us "little people" appreciate your efforts with the forum. Jim

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Do you know where I might get a little history on my bike #805? Was the owner a member on here?
The only way I know to try and get any history is to find a Honda dealer willing to run the VIN for any service records. Honda corporate does not release sales info by model, they will not even say how many NT's were imported.

In the early days a lot of us posted our sequence number in our signature block. You could try searching for 805 here to see if you get a hit, besides this post, but that would be really lucky...

Tonydtiger1971

Thanks Redldr1, I will try that. I would also be curious if I've run into you down there in Ga. Just moved to TN back in 2013.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V - ABS
I bought my silver 2010 NT w/ABS one month ago. It is #85. With just 3,123 miles on the odometer, it looked like new. Of course it wasn't really... There was little bit of corrosion on the exhaust and the ABS ring and sun fading on the package shelf. But I am really glad to have it. I have ridden just over 700 miles... Two 130 mile breakfast rides on the local curvy roads with some time spent on Hwy 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Mostly riding locally and feeling the irregularities of the roads. (I've been reading "suspension" posts with interest!)
No matter how many (or few!) NT700Vs were imported, I'm pretty darn happy with mine. I really want it to be a satisfying replacement for two older Hondas.

Tonydtiger1971

Just saw an ad that number #0006 is for sale at WOW Motorsports, in Atlanta GA. $4910 plus tax, tag, and title.

Top Bottom