Butt Burner Gold Attempt

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
Tomorrow I am attempting my 1st Butt Burner Gold(1,500 miles in under 24hrs). It has become my birthday tradition to do different IBA rides and I need the BBG as a prerequisite for next years ride(coast to coast to coast in 100hrs)

I learned a couple things from last years trip and made a couple of modifications to the NT. VStream windscreen, heated grips, auxiliary LED lights, Russell Day Long saddle w/ backrest.

I am starting and finishing in Fort Mill,SC and going to Key Largo,FL. Google maps has it as 21hrs 35min. of ride time. If I can limit my stops to every 200 miles for fuel and a quick stretch, I think I can pull it off.

It will(hopefully) be a boring ride, but I will give a full ride report Sunday(Lord Willing)

Completed that ride on a Gold Wing, and was a challenge, butt I was successful. Enjoy the ride, look forward to your report.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Hope you get, but running into south busy Florida probably not good

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
Up at 3:00am this morning. Only an hour off my normal starting time. Last minute check to make sure I have everything needed and some things I hopefully don't need.

Plan on being on the road by 5:00am. Temps should be in the mid 70's, until south Florida, then mid 80's. No sign of rain in sight, but it is Florida...

I will try and update at each fuel stop.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Up at 3:00am this morning. Only an hour off my normal starting time. Last minute check to make sure I have everything needed and some things I hopefully don't need.

Plan on being on the road by 5:00am. Temps should be in the mid 70's, until south Florida, then mid 80's. No sign of rain in sight, but it is Florida...

I will try and update at each fuel stop.
Don't waste time updating! Just ride! There will be plenty of time to fill us in when you have completed the ride. Godspeed!

Mike

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I wish you all the best on this ride, I did minr from Oregon to Denver vi Billings mt and it was a eassy ride for me aat the time! 2919 If my memory is correct. I wouldn't dream of doing it on your floridaa route, not saying you caant, but you will most cerrtaiinly earn the cerrt if you can pull it off. I will be waatchhiinng and waaiting to heeaar of a faavvoravvvlle fiinniish.

Eldon
iba 8147

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
Good new and slightly disappointing news.

I was able to complete the Butt Burner, but not the Gold.

I got started at 5:25am, had great weather and made fantastic time thru SC and GA. Once I got the FL, I hit rain about every 50 miles or so. Only heavy traffic was in Daytona and Miami. Hit my turn around spot in Key Largo at 5:00pm and felt good. I ran into a heavy downpour going back thru Miami, the kind when everyone turns on their hazard lights and stops.... I was soaked. I was feeling good, until about 11:00pm. I started getting drowsy and tried everything to stay alert. I stopped at a rest area hoping to be able to lay on a picnic table and take a quick nap, but the godawful horse flies kept biting me and waking me up. After about 20 minutes of that, I decided it wasn't going to work and got back on the road. I finally decided to give up on the BBG (1500 in 24hr) and settle for the BB(1500 in 36hr) and found a hotel in Brunswick,GA. I got about 5 hrs of sleep and after a quck breakfast, was back on the road. I made a quick detour to Hilton Head,SC to pick up a Grand Tour location(scavenger hunt thru Carolinas BMWMOA). I made it back to my starting location around 12:45pm and got my needed signatures and fuel receipt and headed home.

All told I ended up with 1,565 miles in 31hrs and 35min. A little disappointed that I didn't get the Gold, but I promised myself that I wouldn't push it too hard. Next year I will try and attempt it with a group. I think the competitive nature will kick in and quite the voice of doubt and sleep.

My plan was to stop every 200 miles for fuel, but the VStream windscreen and above average speeds limited me to every 150-160 miles. I averaged right at 40mpg with the screen up and 50mpg with the screen down.

Looks like my CCC 100(east/west/east coast in 100hrs) will have to wait until the fall of 2018. I will take everything that I have learned this year and make the necessary adjustments, then I will attempt the BBG again next year.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Good job - the Iron Butt Association lists the Bun Burner Gold as an extreme ride - and I think they're spot on with that. You dun gude, my man!

Yep - I admit it - I don't think I'm man enough to do a BBG. My Bun Burner 1500 last July was enough for me. Riding through west Texas, New Mexico and southern Colorado on the slab, I had little traffic except for the usual going through El Paso. All the same, I was a tired little boy by the time I got to my brother's home in Denver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
I don't think it would've been easier Outwest. I slabbed it pretty hard, except for the last 30 miles on US 1. I only had to fuel stops that lasted longer than 10 minutes. I average somewhere between 75 and 80 miles an hour. I probably could've averaged closer to 90 mph, that would've helped to bank up some additional time.

More sleep a couple days previous to the ride and start pushing caffeine earlier in the ride would've helped.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm guessing that you won't gain much by speeding up. During my BBG in Nevada, I didn't run over 80-82 mph ever except for part of the last leg and then I probably didn't get over 85. Gas mileage suffers so much on the NT when it gets wound up over that that I don't think it would be worth trying to run 90. For my whole BBG, I averaged 42.2 mpg. I had some very high headwinds that pulled it down on a couple of legs, but still got 48mpg on one leg and 45mpg on a couple more. Of course, in Nevada, there weren't many optional fuel stops -- you get gas where you can. The Iron Butt Association also argues in their Archives of Wisdom that higher speeds increase fatigue disproportionately to the advantage gained. That also gibes with my experience. I'm comfortable at 80mph; 90 is not comfortable for me.

My goal was to keep my "moving average" on my GPS at or above 70mph including fuel stops. That would have given me a whole 2 hours and 25 minutes for other stuff. I didn't keep it that high. When I got to West Wendover, a little over 1/3 of the distance, I was down to a 58.7mph average. I was pretty discouraged at that point because I'd been in a lot of rain and it had gotten down to about 35F on some of the passes -- in the early afternoon! I knew that by night, that weather would translate into sub-freezing temps and snow. If the rain had continued till I got to Ely, I was going to bail on the BBG attempt. As it turned out the rain quit and temps did get down to sub-freezing (18F!), but there wasn't any snow. By the time I got to Fallon, just over 2/3 of the distance, I had my average back up to 69mph. During the dark and cold, it dropped some, so that when I left Baker, with 197 miles left to go, I was slightly below BBG pace with an average of only 60.9. It started getting light about 50-60 miles after I left Baker and I felt more confident about getting my speed back up to the 80mph range, although I had some concern about gas. My "out" was a Shell station at Ash Springs, 10 miles away from the station in Alamo that was the finish for the Team Lyle Insanity Rally. If I had to, I could end my BBG there and still get it, even if I wasn't an official finisher of the rally. But I turned out OK, finishing the Rally and the BBG with 12 minutes to spare.

My previous BBG attempt had gone south when I hit two stretches of one-way road with a pilot car in the first 70 miles. At 86 miles into my route, I was 49 minutes behind schedule. When I got to about 1200 miles, I knew I wasn't going to make it. I ended up riding 1430 miles in 24 hours that trip and regretted (later) that I hadn't gone ahead and done a simple BB ride.

The CC50 is still on my horizon -- don't think I'll try a CCC100.

You had a good ride and I'm glad you made the smart decision and stopped for rest!

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
a good attrmpt. dicrretion is the better paart of valor!!!It id a shame that the NT is not configurrred for easy installation of a fuel cell, a extra 4 gallon of fuel ccaan make all the differanc in the world..
* think if I were serious about doing extreme LD rides on NT I think I would try and get a fuel tank from a wrecked nt even though dented etcand ugly and do a external fuel line in to the top of it to fffeed from a fuel ccell.LOL it is easy ffor this old blind guy to set here and say this , but you don't kkkknow how much I wish I could still see enough to ride saaaffelyalthoough I rather doubt that it will happen.

The bike is ccaapable of doing the job and can be made comfortaablle enough to mTCH GOLDWING COMFORT LEVALS,IT MEERLY NEEDDS THE FUEL RANGE EXTENDED TO OVERTTHE 300 MILE MARK THUS A FUEEL CEELL IS THE ANSWER.

mY OWN CCAAFINE ANDD FOOOD HABIT FOR A EXTREME RIDE IS TO WEAN MYSEELFE OFF OF ALL CCAFFINE AT LEAAST 3 WEEKS BEFORE THE RIDE STEAATS. FOOD INTAKE IS JERKY BITS, AND PEANUTS OF THE SALTED VAARIETY, AND SOME DRIED PINEAPPLE BITS, nss lots of waaterthaat I will sweat out the most of beteeen fuel stops. I never touch any ccaaafine until with-in 150 miles of end of ride, the boost it will give you is a major help at that point. granted all body systems and plumbing work differently and what worked for me might no work for you.

ELDON

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
What a GREAT achievement, you should be very proud with what you have done. Very wise to turn it into a BB when you realised the BBG was no longer possible.

Good to hear you are home safe and that you have learnt a lot for your next attempt.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V,
The CC50 is still on my horizon -- don't think I'll try a CCC100.
The only reason I want to do the CCC100, is well... .I have to get back home.

Thank you all for the congrats. I love a good challenge and the fire is already starting to burn to attempt it again next year.

Last edited:
I've done several LDR rides, and have yet to not complete one. However, all the time, I kept reminding myself that it was just a piece of paper, in addition to personal satisfaction. Chances are, I'll never do another one, butt at least when I'm old and rocking in a chair on my front porch, I can remember all the good times. Put this attempt into your experience bank, and you'll do just fine next time. Better to have tried than not to try

Top Bottom