Riding in southern Utah

Bike
2011 Black NT700
I'm thinking of trailering my NT behind the truck and camper to southern Utah next year for a few days. Probably staying and Huntington State Park or Green River State Park and taking rides to some of the national parks. So I'm wondering when the best time to go would be. I was thinking the later part of Sept.
Thanks for your time and advice.
Clint

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clint, I'd agree that late September would be a great time to visit southern Utah. One of the prettiest rides I've ever taken was from Huntington to Fairview on UT-31. But, if it was me, I'd probably spend most of my time a bit farther south. I'd consider camping near Torrey, Escalante, or Panguitch. You gotta' ride UT-12 between Torrey and Bryce Canyon NP. It's one of the great rides in the world. Bryce and Zion are incredible.

Actually, pretty much all of UT is incredible. UT-72 between Loa and I-70 is very nice. UT-143 between Panguitch and Cedar Breaks NM, UT-14 between Cedar City and Long Valley Junction on US-89, UT-18 between St. George and Beryl Junction west of Cedar City.... I could go on and on.

Back north, UT-128 between Moab and I-70 just west of the CO border.

You can't go wrong!

Bike
Honda NT700V
Late April/early May is another good time. I enjoyed riding there on the NT so much that I bought a CRF250L and went back to ride off road. I'm hoping to ride there every year. This is on UT-128 that Phil mentioned.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
If you visit Bryce Canyon, I had an excellent camping experience in Red Canyon which is very close to Bryce. Worked out great as a base camp location. It was early may and icicles formed on my tent above my head. I was the only motorcyclist at the campground. A couple pulling a teardrop camper came over to tell me about their motorcycling touring days using an Honda CX500 two up with tent etc. I showed them the NT and told them how it was similar to the old CX with the shaft drive. They politely told me they liked their teardrop camper very much :). I think I have some photos in my album camped there in red canyon.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Top Bottom