A few thoughts on tents

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Frosty and I just purchased a couple of Eureka Midori 4 tents. They were normally $250 retail but REI was blowing them out for $150 delivered to your door. I have a Midori 3 which I like very much but the 4 has a measured interior center height of over 60 inches, which is nice for dressing, especially if you have a bad back. Two well aquainted people could share a Midori 4. You?d better be lovers if you are gonna share a 3.
This all got me to thinking about all the tents I have owned over the last 50 years . I have 14 I have kept. I don?t need 14 even though I camp out 25-30 days a year but they are there none the less.
Specifically, what does one really need for motorcycle touring? Many are happy with a tent that is just big enough that you can lay down in and that?s about it. I?m not. I want to be able to bring in my stuff, including a small chair, and still have room for a twin sized air bed. Even cook a small meal inside if the weather outside is wet.
If you are tall, and you like simplicity, then that means a dome tent at least a 7x7, 7x8, or an 8x8. The first thing you learn when you go tent shopping is that those four and three and five occupancy numbers are a cruel joke, but most motorcyclists have just themselves to worry about, so such numbers may be ignored. The second thing you learn is that those 7x7 numbers mostly mean from outside pole grommet to grommet, and the real interior numbers are about a half foot smaller. And of course the tent walls slope. I have found that the given interior height numbers are pretty close.
If funds are an issue, one can go to Dicks or Big5 or Ebay and purchase a fiberglass pole tent for $30 to $50 that will serve well. I have an 10 x 8 with 77 nights on it, with a few repairs?and while its not fun to replace a split pole, it can be done and if it splits on a trip, a little tape will fix it till you get home.
Lately, I have been purchasing more expensive tents with some nifty features and testing them out.
Here are my thoughts on three of them.
1. The Kelty Grand Mesa 4, $160, 7 lbs, measured inside dimensions 6? 3? x 7? 7? x 56 in.
2. The Eureka Midori 3, $200, 6.5 lbs, 6? x7? x 52?
3. The Eureka Midori 4 , 9 lbs. Normally $250, paid $150, 7? x 8? x 60 in
All three have aluminum poles, full flys with vestibules, and snap connectors for the flys. The Eurekas have two doors and two vestibules. I don?t use vestibules but the nifty thing about them is you can lift up the fly over to the side of the tent and let air in. With two doors, both flaps up means way more ventilation. Anyone who has camped out in the windless summer Wisconsin sun will appreciate that.
The pack size of a tent is quite subjective. Look in the first two pics. The Grand Mesa comes in an odd shaped bag, but if you pack it up like you would most tents, and put on compression straps, it is almost the size of the Midori 3. The Midoris in turn can be made much smaller with compression straps.
Here in the west, many campsites are rocky and you may want to lay a small tarp under the tent bottom to protect it. The fancy name for these tarps is ?footprints?. You can pay $35 for a factory footprint for the Grand Mesa. Many tarps and footprints are advertised as ?Waterproof?. The last thing you want is a tarp that extends past the bottom of the tent so that rain comes off the fly and hits the tarp and is funneled under your tent. Just tuck the tarp under the tent edge.
Here is my conclusions about these three tents. All three are quality. Unless you do something stupid, the poles should last a very long time.
If I could only have one tent, it would be the Grand Mesa 4. Despite having only one door, it is a good size and compromise between the Midori 3 and 4.
If I was riding and just stopping for the night at a camp ground, the Midori 3 is fine. Less is more.
If I was staying at a place for a day or two or there was a chance I had to hole up for a day due to rain, sickness, etc, I would want the Midori 4. The Grand Mesa 4 is almost as good but not quite as convienient to cook in or sit in the chair in, with the airbed, and get dressed. It would help if the door was on the long side like the Keltys, but then again it is only a half pound more than the Midori 3. At $250 retail, I would have never bought the Midori 4, already having the Grand Mesa 4, but at $150, it?s a steal. Should YOU pay $250 for the Midori 4? You get a lot of tent for the money and if you plan on doing a lot of camping, I wouldn?t dismiss it outright.
I am sure there are lots of other tents that are very good. These are just three which I chose for their price and features. Just remember, If you chose one with over two poles, you will have to live with its difficulty of assembly. I like simple.
If you don?t do a lot of camping, even if you have the money, I personally would cruise ebay and research the under $60 tents. Big 5 has lots of sales on tents. You probably won?t bend the metal couplings on the fiberglass poles in 10 or 20 nights and I have used them for 50 years, many lasting scores of nights before a zipper goes or a pole channel rips. In the pics you will see the Quest Eagles Peak, which I like. I have good luck with the Coleman Sundomes although the design has changed over the decades?.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
A few points of comment, Chris, if I may.
Firstly, have you sought treatment for your tent fettish yet?
Secondly, do you know what Midori means, it is appropriate in this case?
Thirdly, why a double mattress in the tent?
Finally, I use a small two-man tent which fits perfectly in the "hidey hole" between the panniers.
I would love to have a larger one but am happy to sacrifice tent space for carrying convenioence.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Great info, Chris! Being a Scoutmaster for 20+ years, I have had experience with numerous tent brands. When it comes to bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Eureka tent.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Great info, Chris! Being a Scoutmaster for 20+ years, I have had experience with numerous tent brands. When it comes to bang for the buck, it is hard to beat a Eureka tent.

Mike
When I was in the Boy Scouts we used a lot of WWII surplus gear. If I remember correctly we sleep in Shelter Half Pup Tents. Not bad except in the rain they had no floors so we had to made sure to trench the perimeter of the tents. Since our Scout Master was a Vet he ran the Troop like an army unit. Many other troops at the time were run in a similar fashion.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A few points of comment, Chris, if I may.
Firstly, have you sought treatment for your tent fettish yet?
Secondly, do you know what Midori means, it is appropriate in this case?
Thirdly, why a double mattress in the tent?
Finally, I use a small two-man tent which fits perfectly in the "hidey hole" between the panniers.
I would love to have a larger one but am happy to sacrifice tent space for carrying convenioence.

Macka
There is no help for a tent and flashlight fetish. Abandon all hope!
Midori is the Japanese word for green
Midori is a web browser
Midori is a liqueur
Midori Ito is the first lady figure skater to land a triple triple
In the US, a double (twin) size bed or air bed is the smallest adult size you can order. Next is a Queen and then comes the King.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inflatable-Airbed-Air-Mattress-Portable-Camping-Blow-Up-Bed-Intex-Twin-Size-/282125110360?hash=item41aff78c58:g:PqAAAOSwHoFXtPR-
I am six ft two inches tall. If I had to hang out inside one of those tiny tents for a day, with all my equipment, I would have to self medicate to get through the experience!

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
When I was in the Boy Scouts we used a lot of WWII surplus gear. If I remember correctly we sleep in Shelter Half Pup Tents. Not bad except in the rain they had no floors so we had to made sure to trench the perimeter of the tents. Since our Scout Master was a Vet he ran the Troop like an army unit. Many other troops at the time were run in a similar fashion.
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_shelter_half.php

The WWII ones were open fronted. Not so good for rain and insects and poison snakes and bears. And of course very heavy for something without a floor.
I will give up my modern tent when they pry it from my cold dead hands.... ;)

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
It helps to be short. :D I have a old Eureka 3-person tent. I took it out the other day and everything is still fine. It doesn't have a vestibule, but there's plenty of room inside for everything...just leave the food outside if you're in bear country.

If I was looking for a new tent, I'd get this:
http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/HI-TEC-sierra-lite-2-backpacking-tent/0710107811607/_/A-5266374?_D:search=+&_D:siteScope=+&_DARGS=/store/cartridges/SearchBox/SearchBox.jsp&_dyncharset=UTF-8&siteScope=ok

Light weight. Large enough for one person. Packs small.

I can't imagine cooking inside my tent. Flames and nylon just don't mix.

And if the rain is pouring down so hard I don't want to go outside at all, I'll just "knock" on your door. :D

Chris
(the other Chris from the wet side)
That's not a bad tent for someone who isnt 6'2" tall. The height isnt an issue if you dont spend lots of time in it at a camp site.
Cooking in a tent is easy. But at many camps I just heat water and use freeze dried food...no burned down tents yet...And the cookware fits inside a six inch can if you dont want to bring a pan.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT

Mike
Eureka does make a good tent. The choices we have now seem endless. Daboo's tent he referenced would even work for me if I slept crosswise a bit and just needed a place to sleep....Frosty has a small Kelty but has moved up to the Midori 4.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Once you've reached a sufficient pain level from the cramping, just curl up in the fetal position from your misery. Then you can fit into tents like I can at 5'6". :D

Chris
LOL! If its as cold as it gets at Reno, I may be in the fetal position anyway!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The biggest upgrade I ever had was when I moved from the REI Halfdome 2-Plus to the Halfdome 4-Plus. The extra height was the biggest difference. REI doesn't make the Halfdome series anymore.

I went to Philmont Scout Ranch in August of 1959 and hiked for 13 days. It rained for 12 days. We were in Army surplus shelter-halves for 10 of those. I was lucky enough to have an Army surplus wool mummy-bag with a waterproof nylon outer liner. I was the only one in our Explorer Post who slept dry and warm. I'd never go back to that kind of camping again!

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
There is no help for a tent and flashlight fetish. Abandon all hope!
Midori is the Japanese word for green
Midori is a web browser
Midori is a liqueur
Midori Ito is the first lady figure skater to land a triple triple
In the US, a double (twin) size bed or air bed is the smallest adult size you can order. Next is a Queen and then comes the King.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inflatable-Airbed-Air-Mattress-Portable-Camping-Blow-Up-Bed-Intex-Twin-Size-/282125110360?hash=item41aff78c58:g:PqAAAOSwHoFXtPR-
I am six ft two inches tall. If I had to hang out inside one of those tiny tents for a day, with all my equipment, I would have to self medicate to get through the experience!
Well answered, Chris.
My wife is Japanese.
I don't know how you manage to carry all of that stuff on the NT.
I try to travel as light as possible and I am still learning how to reduce the load further.
Each time I pack to go away I leave out one or two items that I did not use on the previous trip.
Eventually I will leave home in just my boots and "jocks" (shorts to you guys). LOL.

Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My troop as a kid was also furnished with surplus WWII stuff. I suspect the gummint donated a lot of stuff to scout troops back then. My troop when I was a Scoutmaster was known as the mini-Marine Corps.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My modern tent(s) are all much better than the poncho, air matress, and poncho liner system we used in Viet Nam where it rained every day for about 6 months. But I was much younger then.
And before that it was heavy canvas tents with saging sides and no bug sereens or floor.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I appreciate Chris' "research' on tents. I bought a Midori 4 on sale at REI.
Tent selection is based on what you are using it for (IMHO).
Cross country with a stop each night ... quick set up and takedown, small, & light.
Base camp with several nights (say Spearfish) ... comfort.

I use a two person Kelty Gunnison 2. Nice tent with room to sleep, but getting dressed is like making snow angels in a refrigerator box or do it outside.
The Eureka Midori 3 has plenty of room (can use mini camp chair in it) but is only 51" high.
The chief pro for me was the Midori 4 has a 60" peak. It is a big tent, but manageable pack size (YMMV).
It packs smaller than the REI Half Dome 4 (48" high) and only marginally larger pack size than the Midori 3, but still a major commitment to cargo space on a motorcycle.

We had a nice trip this year with a great base camp on the east side of Mt Rainier. Side trips to Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier National Park were made without cargo and no camp set up at night.

This thread gives everyone time to comparison shop and plan all winter. :tent3:

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I watched Clint Eastwood ride off to the mountains in the winter at the end of Pale Rider. He had only a bed roll on the back of his horse.
He died in the mountains that winter, Chris.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Well answered, Chris.
My wife is Japanese.
I don't know how you manage to carry all of that stuff on the NT.
I try to travel as light as possible and I am still learning how to reduce the load further.
Each time I pack to go away I leave out one or two items that I did not use on the previous trip.
Eventually I will leave home in just my boots and "jocks" (shorts to you guys). LOL.

Macka
I am too old to sleep on the ground...old and cranky! Gotta have my comforts....every time I think of an air mattress, I cringe and my eye twitches.... ;)
(When ever I go to a figure skating event, I love talking with the Japanese ladies that attend...they are delightful. And I learn so much!)

Last edited:

Tonydtiger1971

I'll stick with my hiking gear that includes a hammock with quick wrap straps.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I did see a tent that had a great idea. You could save some weight by using a hiking pole in place of their tent pole.

Chris
Well, carrying a hiking pole on a motorcycle is a lot better than carrying a motorcycle on a hike. And it is better than hiking with tent poles.

To me, the big issue with camping is whether or not food and cooking is involved. That adds another whole demension. The biggest reason i don't cook is 1. it is messy. and 2. Keeping it away from bears and coons is sometimrs challenging. I feel a lot better camping knowing that the critters have better pickiings in someone else's camp and have experienced just that a few times. And sometimes bugs make cooking a lot less fun.

I prefer to stop for coffee and a breakfast sandwich after an hour or so of riding in the AM, then energy bar and water through the day with an late afternoon dinner at a restaurant. Then when I stop all I have to do is set up my tent and crawl in.

I have 1-person, 2-person, and 4-person tents. I always use the 2-person tent. My wife uses the 4-person tent, but she camps with the truck, horse trailer and her horse girlfriends. Most camping these days does not involve a tent, but rather a motorhome, travel trailer, or camping trailer. However I have seen a motorcyclist camping next to his bike in an Aerostich suit. Not for me.

Top Bottom