A few thoughts on tents

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Good old thread. For motorcycle camping I am still using the REI half-dome 2+. I have been lucky and only needed to use it to sleep in, change clothes, and store stuff. I am still limber enough to take the trade off of small and light weight. Besides, it is the best tent I have and works well enough that I haven't felt the need to upgrade. I just don't get the chance to camp out as much as I like.

If it was more than just me and I was car/truck camping I would definitely get a bigger better tent.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
To each his own - Tents, like motorcycles, aren't a "one size fits all".
For my motorcycle travel my old Mountain Hardware is fine. Plenty of room to sleep and dress, two doors, and 2 vestibules to get gear out of the rain. Easy to pitch and weighs under 5#.
But if i were "camping" - like in the same place for a week fishing or humting (or gawking at airplanes) and cooking there, I'd be using a different (larger) tent and I'd be hauling it in my truck.

I've spent some rainy days in camp and a large tent is priceless then cause I tried it the other way and it is a looooooooong day..

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
The Eureka Midori 4 is a big tent but packs in a case shorter than my dry bags and fits across the back. After 5 straight days camping at a second rally, I must say that I enjoyed the room. I guess the downside would be the amount of real estate it takes on a site. If I were moving nightly, I will take a smaller tent, but for a destination I'll take the Midori 4. I made a footprint for under the tent and do not worry about using a chair inside.

Top Bottom