Ducati Multistrada 950

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well if the "Morning Coffee" thread started by "seagrass" didn't get you going, maybe this one will.

Ducati announced for 2017 a 950 Multistrada. At 471 pounds and 113hp with 71' of torque this could be more fun than I can handle. It can have aluminum or plastic panniers for touring. This thing would drop an NT like a hot rock. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ducati/2017-ducati-multistrada-950-preview.html

Who is going to jump first?

My first excuse: I need one, otherwise I'll have to buy a new front tire for my NT.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Well no one short legged, 33", that is one reason not to leap for me. Dealer network is not Honda, much harder to find in many locations. I really never understand HP, I rather have mileage. Okay maybe the NT need a few more for some, but I never need more power to get on to a highway. I do not ride 2 up very often, except for bicycle support hulling around a official or photog. Also I happen to be too cheap to by a Ducati.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Three things concern me....1.) Ducati reliability; 2.) Lack of Ducati dealers; 3.) Chain drive. It is a classy looking scoot though... loaded with Italian sex appeal.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have not had any interest in Ducati's since I sold my Diana Mark 3 Super Sport in the 60's. I have always like the singles over the twins.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll never get one, but I really like it! Too tall for me. But, WOW!!!

Tonydtiger1971

I think I'll stay with a honda with a lower seat like the CTX if I was going to trade.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Not for me, too much power, too many dollars.
Well, if you are going to use criteria like that it rules out my other choice of a BMW R1200 GS. Same problem(s). Those criteria are just too practical to apply to a motorcycle. It is really hard to beat the value of the japanese motorcycles. I suppose Triumph comes the closest to competing with the Japanese on value.

I actually like the seat height of the 950 Multistrada. I had my Russel saddle built an inch higher than stock for that reason and my knees love it. But you are correct about the "too much power" - my NT occasionally goes too fast. However I have a son who says "Power is good, more power is better, and too much is just right".

I don't know of a rule that says we have to be practical with our hobbies. I have a wife that explains rules to me sometimes though, and while I don't understand them but they apply anyway.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Here's the new addition:

Just Got Home.jpg

She's a 2018 Multistrada 950 - extremely well-farkled. After the test ride and the 250-mile ride home (which included a few maniacal giggles on my part) I am pretty happy to have found the replacement for my Sprint GT. I'll post details in a day or two.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Zombie thread! Suddenly, its 2016 all over again. I am sure this is a very nice bike.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Several years ago, I rented a 1200 MultiStrada in Japan. My Brother in Law, some of his bike friends and I rode from Tokyo to Yamagata which is about 440km and back.
I loved the power and the "head turn" factor but the reliability let it down.
It was a new bike with only about 1500km on the clock.
Right from the start it was tricky to get it started. It would not recognise the remote control (no key start). It would take several minutes of mucking around to finally get it going.
It surged and bucked at low revs. With 30-40kph speed limits in most suburban streets I had to stay in second gear most of the time to keep the revs up and stop the whip-lash. Once you opened up the throttle and released the 150hp, it was awesome. On the freeway it was a weapon. In town, a pig.
Within 100km of leaving Tokyo I had a low oil level warning despite the level being OK. That persisted for the whole trip. By the time we arrived, the chain was so stretched that it was rattling and the engine oil was as black as pitch.
We took it to the rental shop agent (same group) in Yamagata for them to have a look at.
They rang the Tokyo office to discuss it but said that there was nothing that they could do as they had never seen one, did not have the special socket needed for the chain adjuster (carry one with you!) nor did they have the data/knowledge to check the starting problem or low oil level warning.
I was told to just continue riding and if anything catastrophic happened I would not be held responsible.
We made it back to Tokyo 3 days later and returned the bike. By that time I was mostly worried that the chain might jump off. It was very loose.
It was great fun to ride, but I would never buy one.
You can guess which one in the photos is me! 100_0135.JPG

Macka100_0136.JPG100_0127.JPG

Bike
Sorry you had bad luck with your 1200, Macka - but it's not the same bike. Can I tell you about my 1984 1200 Honda Goldwing? The stator burned up - a common problem with that engine. Replacing it required pulling the engine and splitting the engine case.

A few years later I bought a 1500 Honda Goldwing Aspencade which I enjoyed for 80000 trouble free miles.

Last edited:
Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Yes, Kazoo. Even Mr Honda screws up sometimes.
As I said, it was fun to ride for a weekend on the highway but I would not want to live with it as a day-rider.
I would really like a new 6 speed FJR but I think it would be too heavy for me now. I think that they are a bit lighter than the old one, but still heavy.
My Brother in Law had a 2005? model which I rode several times and I really liked it. The auto clutch took some getting used to though.
In 150,oookm it needed nothing other than routine service, tyres and brakes.

Macka

Bike
I definitely agree that the 1200 or 1260 Multistradas are WAY too much of a good thing for me as well. The 960 is much more manageable with very smooth and linear power. The balance of the bike is ridiculously good as well. I have never ridden a bike at such high lean angles so soon on the first ride and been so relaxed at the same time. The seating position is very comfortable but the seat itself needs some improvement - I found myself moving around looking for a more comfortable spot after a couple of hours. Mr. Russell may be getting an order from me this winter. It's a very tall bike but I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam and can flat foot it easily.

The riding modes make it feel like four different bikes. Touring and Sport give full power while Urban and Enduro limit it to around 70hp and also remap the throttle so it actually feels like you're on a 70 horsepower bike. Nice for the slow stuff and around town. You can change modes on the fly.

Brakes - great big Brembos front and rear. Multi-mode ABS. Nice.

Wind protection is almost too good. The stock screen is small but does the job nicely and can be adjusted up or down with one hand at 80mph.

Downsides: the clutch is a bit tempermental when the bike is cold but is fine once warmed up. The seat feels great at first, but is too soft for long distance.

I got a great deal on the bike - more than $2000 cheaper out the door than the Yamaha Tracer GT, which was originally at the top of my short list. The bike was the Ducati dealer manager's personal bike , has low miles and they threw in a two year extended warrantee.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I am sure that they are much better now than when I rode the 1200.
70HP would be nice on the NT!
On the other hand, if I had it I would use it.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, if you are going to use criteria like that it rules out my other choice of a BMW R1200 GS. Same problem(s). Those criteria are just too practical to apply to a motorcycle. It is really hard to beat the value of the japanese motorcycles. I suppose Triumph comes the closest to competing with the Japanese on value.

I actually like the seat height of the 950 Multistrada. I had my Russel saddle built an inch higher than stock for that reason and my knees love it. But you are correct about the "too much power" - my NT occasionally goes too fast. However I have a son who says "Power is good, more power is better, and too much is just right".

I don't know of a rule that says we have to be practical with our hobbies. I have a wife that explains rules to me sometimes though, and while I don't understand them but they apply anyway.
I'm looking forward to seeing it in Spearfish in less than two weeks!

Bike
Unfortunately I won’t make it to Spearfish- I couldn’t get that week off from work. As a consolation vacation I will be sailing Erin on a relaxing cruise up Lake Michigan for a week or ten days the following week. ⛵

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Unfortunately I won’t make it to Spearfish- I couldn’t get that week off from work. As a consolation vacation I will be sailing Erin on a relaxing cruise up Lake Michigan for a week or ten days the following week. ⛵
Too bad about Spearfish but it sounds like you've landed on an excellent alternative!

Mike

Top Bottom