New 2017 Honda X-ADV Scooter

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Seems I read somewhere that the weight of the scoot is somewhere north of what the NT weighs..... that's pretty porky for a ADV scoot if you ask me...

Mike

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Very interesting! My other ride is a Vespa 300GTS and the engine size is impressive. Styling to me looks more like something out of Star Wars? Will have to see you in the flesh. Thanks for sharing.
Jim

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I like the looks, may be the replacement for the NT for some of us old geezers.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I read somewhere that the weight of the scoot is somewhere north of what the NT weighs....Mike]

I read in the official Honda promo that the weight is 524 lbs which is under the weight of a non-ABS NT. Because of the long travel suspension, the seat height is over 33" which makes it about 2" too tall for my comfort level! My other bike is a 2013 NC700X/w DCT so I'm generally familiar with the engine & transmission in this Adv-X scooter.

Yesterday, I rode my NT for the first time since early-July because I'd been riding my NC all that time. It was like coming home to something familiar and comfy. About 5-miles from home I did have a brain fart when I went to downshift for slowing traffic ahead. I pushed what I thought was the downshift paddle, and blew the horn instead! :)

I'm going for a Vet's Day ride today with some pals!

DirtFlier, USMCR 2066078.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I rode an NC with DCT prepared to hate it. They work much better than I had expected. Always found the gear I would have selected and had manual override that I never used. My time was all in residential streets with no hairs on fire riding so can't speak to that. I would consider a bike with DCT.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've put around 12k miles on my NC700X/w DCT bike since I bought it in Dec 2014. It had been mostly my "in-town" bike up until this past summer when I started to take it on a few longer, multi-day rides. As far as I'm concerned, not having a clutch to help modulate takeoff from a stop is still somewhat negative but I'm getting better with it all the time.

With a manual clutch you can feel the "friction zone" as you feed out the clutch lever gradually and if it starts to go too quickly, you can pull back the lever. With the DCT you don't have that so it seems as if there is no movement at all, then it starts to GO! You can modulate this by dragging the rear brake but I've yet to master that. One thing that affects perceptions of the DCT is having an open mind about different technology. I've never owned a scooter so all my bikes, off-road and on-road, have had a manual clutch. This gave me no prior experience to tap so I just looked at each initial ride as a learning experience, without viewing it negatively.

In all the other situations, using full automatic (D or S mode) or doing it manually, it works great. I'm in D all the time, and manually downshift a few gears before a slow speed turn. The shift computer is setup to maximize fuel economy so it won't downshift from 6th-to-5th until you're almost at a walking speed, then rounding the corner you give it throttle and it'll downshift 2 times before accelerating and upshifting. It just feels too jerky this way so I've found it much better to round the corner in 3rd, then the trans doesn't have to downshift. In D, the normal upshift is at 2000 RPM and it does seem weird at first but my mileage has been in the mid-60s to low-70s so not twisting the engine faster certainly saves fuel!

Overall, I like it and would certainly consider buying another bike with DCT. :)

Last edited:
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I thank you both. I don't know anyone with a DCT so I had no way to judge real-world experience.

I bought a used SH-150 scooter and learned to enjoy the non-shifting in town. I seem to spend a lot of time looking in mirrors once I get out of town and onto higher speed roads.

I like not having to shift in stop-and-go traffic and I am looking to upgrade from the scooter. The DCT would keep me in the no-shifting category and 700 cc's allows me more options for leaving town on the higher speed roadways.

My local dealer has a non-current NC 700 DCT and I have been thinking of that as an upgrade to the scooter. I really enjoy riding it in-town, although the NT is nicer on road trips.

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I don't see any bike as an upgrade from a scooter. They are separate beasts and do the same bank into turns differently. A DCT is not the same as a CVT they act differently and have a much different riding feel. We are creatures of habit what we know seems best.

Top Bottom