Firstgear Kathmandu Jacket (and question)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket for about five years that I've worn as an alternative to my 'Stitch. The vent zippers had failed on it and I wanted to replace it with another Kilimanjaro, but they're all gone until April 17, 1917. So, I ordered a Kathmandu. It came in less than 24 hours from the time I ordered it and, as far as I can tell, it's going to be very satisfactory.

My one question is simple. It came with a hydration bag that goes in a removable pack on the back of the jacket. That will save me some space in my tank bag where I've carried my hydration bladder. But, I've fiddled around for over half an hour trying to figure out how to open the danged bladder to fill it and I have no clue how to do it. It looks like you ought to twist the lid, but I can't budge it. I don't think my damaged hand is that damaged.

I did a live-chat with the Motorcycle Superstore and their customer support people didn't know how to do it either. They referred me to Firstgear and I've sent them an email. Nobody's video shows anything about the hydration system.

If anybody knows anything about this, I'd appreciate your instructions. I'm reasonably sure that this will be another case of me saying, "Duh!" and slapping myself upside the head as soon as someone tells me how simple it is to open.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I will probably replace the bladder in the hydration system with one similar to my Camelbak Hydration System which has a 90 degree mouth piece which is the way to go, IMHO, when using with your helmet on.
I agree with that, even though I open my Schuberth C-3 when I want to drink. I doubt if I'll send the Kathmandu back. I've been happy with the Kilimanjaro I had and like the way the Kathmandu fits and the features it has. But thanks for the input on the Olympia Motoquest.

ADK Jim

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Phil: I did some research for you as I have hiking water bladders, and if your bladder is like the one attached here (I hope), I think the top piece slides to the side - look carefully and I think one end of the hanger has a hole and a round rod end in the middle. I believe the bag folds on itself, and the rod goes in the middle and the other portion of the hanger goes around the outside. Think of a pair of pants on a hanger. Hope this helps. Jim

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 9.21.56 PM.jpg

PS - Phil, I just looked at the picture closer and you'll see that one end of the clip has a taper - that is the end that you should pull in the opposite direction and this end first when you put it back on. Holler if this isn't clear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Good try, Jim, but that ain't the bladder I've got. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and send it. By the way, I didn't get your stickers mailed today, but tomorrow's looking good.

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
That looks like the bladder in my camelback. If so, the top plastic piece should slide off of where the bladder is folded.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I think I may have said this, but the bladder in the Kathmandu jacket has a twist-off lid that had been twisted-on by some brute who must have also used Loc-tite. With my broken hand, even though it has come a long way, I simply couldn't generate the torque needed to get it turning. But I finally did. I works OK now.

Phil-
My camelback lids get really tight when it is screwed on dry. Just twist it really hard. Eventually it comes loose. there is a rubber gasket in there and it's dry. Once you get it open, I store mine open so I don't run into this again. Of course I am lazy sometimes and leave a bladder in my pack and pick it up weeks (or longer) later and the lid is on there TIGHT.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I just got it started in the threads when I put it back on. It's not going to be that tight again unless I'm riding with it and have water in it.

Top Bottom