large saddlebag lids

Bike
2011 NT, 2014 FJR
On the excellent advice of Phil Tarman, and others, I tried to order the large saddlebag lids from David Silver about 2-3 weeks ago, but they were out of stock, and wanted to keep my money until they came in, which they said could be "several months". I declined, and they cancelled my order. But I left my email address and asked them to contact me when they were back in stock. Lo and behold, I got an email saying they got in one set of black covers, so I ordered them and delivery will be by Friday, 12-16. I am very pleased, especially at the price of $325 + $17 shipping, when Mother Honda wants $595 for one of the stock covers. I love this forum, with its calm, mature attitude and good advice. Thanks to all. Mike in Coffeyville.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The large panniers with a decent sized top-box will make Costco runs feasible.
I've never made a Costco run with my NT. I have carried home well over $200 worth of groceries in the left saddlebag and the topbox, but that did require me to use my Bungee Buddy to hold down the 25# bag of catfood and the 20# sack of ice on the pillion.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
You can still get through the same size gaps as with the standard lids.

Couple of tips:

1. ALWAYS close the big lids when the bike is on the centre stand. The quickest way to damage the strikers is to close them when on the side stand.
  2. Get some fender protectors and put them on next to the "crease". Something like these: Richbrook Bumper (Check the length) I'll see if I can find a photo of them on mine.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I got my big lids on eBay for a song compared to Silver Spares, even with shipping from the U.K. it worked out to be more than $100 less, though I still have to paint them to match.

Got an NT top box coming from ebay also, in red no less.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I bought my large lids from David Silvers. I found out David Silvers has a warehouse in Hanover, Pa. within an hour of my house, so I was able to pick them up. They are in an old brick building, their stock of parts for all kinds of Japanese bikes is tremendous to say the least. While waiting for my lids, I got a quick tour of the building. They also have hundreds of classic Japanese bikes that they purchase, clean up and sell at auctions like Mecum. They also ship most of them to Europe where they bring a higher price. But, they do not sell retail or I could have emptied my retirement savings.

My 2010 NT has a custom paint job, so I had to have the lids painted, it cost me $150.00 at an auto body shop. I also do not use the OEM latch system, I used Southco draw latches from eBay. You can get many different styles, in black, nickel, or stainless. I bought the ones that are keyed alike because they were on sale. No more cracked plastic bosses on the lids. I put them on both sets of lids so I can switch to the small lids easily.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zinc-Alloy-Draw-Latch-3-Stain-Chrome-replace-southco-V7-for-Tool-box-Saddlebags-/142240864706?hash=item211e3759c2:g:uTIAAOSwa~BYdSis&vxp=mtr

IMG_0978.jpg

Sorry, I still can't figure why my photos come out upside down. I've tried everything, does anyone else have an anti-gravity NT? BB

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Large Pannier Lids + Bestum liners (best buy out there, currently $48 a set at BESTUMUSA.COM) make it really easy to pack for touring. I even use the left liner as an overnight bag when I am traveling by car

Bike
2010 NT700V
Large Pannier Lids + Bestum liners (best buy out there, currently $48 a set at BESTUMUSA.COM) make it really easy to pack for touring. I even use the left liner as an overnight bag when I am traveling by car
Yes the liners are great, I found mine used for $20.00 on an eBay auction. BB

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
They do look a lot wider when you put them on. Thy don't stick out past my legs when seated on the bike. They do make it easier to take along stuff.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
You can still get through the same size gaps as with the standard lids.

Couple of tips:

1. ALWAYS close the big lids when the bike is on the centre stand. The quickest way to damage the strikers is to close them when on the side stand.
  2. Get some fender protectors and put them on next to the "crease". Something like these: Richbrook Bumper (Check the length) I'll see if I can find a photo of them on mine.
Rubber buggy baby bumpers!!!! Cool!
John, I am not sure what you mean by comment 1. What am I missing? Personally, I think the technique is the important thing. The worst thing you can do is slam the lids. I slowly push them in place by feel.

Top Bottom