Dual purpose tyres and the NT700v

Doogyville

I was thinking about taking the NT 700 v on roads less travelled for my vacation. I envisage doing 40pc gravel or light dirt roads in mostly dry conditions. Continental TKC 80s and others spring to mind. Have any forum members had any experience with adventure type tyres?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I run Shinko 705's on my Wee Strom. really like them on that bike. Not sure if they make the correct size for the NT. 705's are relatively inexpensive and the rear lasts about 7 to 8k miles on my Wee. I get two rears to every front.

Just my two cents worth. The NT has too much plastic to be riding it in places where you would need to have duel sport tires, on a regular bases. Once in a while OK but the roughness of the dirt roads would evidently be hard on the plastic.

Best to get an inexpensive Wee650 for that kind of riding. Set up properly, the V Strom 650 is a bullet prove bike That does it all. Pavement, Dirt, City, Country. Long distance, short around the block rides. JMO.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would agree with Chuck on the NT and rougher roads. It would probably do fine, but I would wonder how some of the plastic would hold up under pounding.
The pannier lid and latch system is weak and comes to mind as an example.
This is just my 2 cents, I wouldn't try to stop a rider from enjoying his ride.
I bought a 250 Kawasaki dual sport to buzz over to my cabin. I was envisioning broken plastic on the road to it and at my gate, which is on a good slope. I put a Shinko on it and am happy with it but it has very few miles on it.

Merry Christmas, I was just thinking Christmas here in North Hemisphere is our colder, winter season, It must have a very different feel down under. For instance we decorate with snow.

Brad

Last edited:
OP
OP

Doogyville

Shinko's it is and ordered. Thanks for your kind feedback. 20 more sleeps to go and off I go and give em a workout! I will be ditching the top box and have my swag and ground sheet/tarp, lots of water and basic cooking stuff. I usually just take lots of paracord and a small axe with me, a few spare clothes and some tools.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Living on a gravel road, I find the NT does find on roads. I mistakenly found myself on a gravel road in PA, in the mountains (rocks as big a baseballs sometimes). The NT handled it okay, I would not of chosen this route but I miss a curve and had to ride down this rock road for a couple of miles just to turn around. NT is not a dirt bike but can handle any of your roads, just remember it does not have the clearance of dual sports. Practice laying the NT down and picking it up, so just in case you have to do that in the middle of nowhere.

Top Bottom