Utah Big 5 and Colorado - 13 Days - Leaving June 8th

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Looks to me like you'll be hitting most of my personal favorites in Utah and Colorado. It'll be a great trip.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think you can see why I'm stoked about going to Spearfish this year. This trip will be about 4000+ miles seeing some incredible scenery. And after a few days at home, I get to head out for Spearfish.

Then later in the August/September time frame, I'm hoping Terry will be able to join me to ride down the coast and back.

Somewhere in all that, I need to stop back home to say "Hello" to the long-suffering wife ... and mow the grass. :rolleyes1:

Chris
Teach the little woman how to cut the grass herownself and then you won't squander riding time messing around at home.

Mike
(ducking and running)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Looks like a great ride. Averaging 333 miles per day is a much more reasonable pace that I end up setting for myself. And letting someone else do all the planning work is a great idea. I hope your group is compatible.

Don't get lost. The last time I did a ride like that I followed along like a puppy dog. Several times I even lost track of what state I was in. But I didn't have to check maps, routes, and campgrounds etc. I enjoyed just following, but it sure was a different experience.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You won't have too much trouble with getting lost in most of these areas. As long as you stay on the main paved roads, there aren't many options!

Chris that sounds like a wonderful trip. 350 mile days is certainly doable. When I ride with my riding buddy we always stay in motels along the way which makes life much easier and it's nice to have a hot shower and a good meal at the end of the day. I'm having an MRI of my lower back on Monday and a cortisone shot in the hip on Tuesday. I'm hoping that there is a good answer to the hip pain as I'd like to ride more this season.

Terry

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
... I'm having an MRI of my lower back on Monday and a cortisone shot in the hip on Tuesday. I'm hoping that there is a good answer to the hip pain as I'd like to ride more this season.

Terry
Do you think that RICH'S in Kingston might help with a seat adjustment?

That's a good question Frosty. I already have the Rich's seat which is great. My MRI showed a cyst on a very low vertebrae that is pressing on the nerve that leads to the hip. Sometime relatively soon, I may have to have surgery to get the cyst removed. I'll put that off as along as I can.

Terry

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Wow...that's quite a trip! Just remember that in many places, be prepared to handle the heat...as in a signature Frosty water vest. Canyonlands has 6 days in June above 100......
There are roads/areas on those maps I have traveled that have their own charm. Like the Blue Mountains and basin and ranges of the Great Basin in Nevada.....
I am saving those parks for an early Spring trip (Fly down and drive around) to escape winter.
Watch the tires......
Chris with the air bladder seat cushion

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I thought you were supposed to watch the road, not the tires??? :confused:

If all goes well, I'll have new PR4s on before leaving. I can't imagine they'll be shredded in 4-5000 miles. But I can try. :cool:

I do find the seat on my bike to be "interesting". On my Suzuki Burgman 400 with a "dish" or tractor like seat, a BeadRider cushion was incredibly comfortable. I did my SS1000 on it in total comfort. That's a lot of sitting. On my NT, I tried the BeadRider cushion, but it didn't work nearly as well. I ended up buying an Airhawk and that worked well. Now with the BMW seat...I find it more comfortable to ride with neither. The Airhawk and Beadrider hurt my tailbone more than the OEM seat...which goes against everything most owners feel.

Chris -- without an air bladder cushion.
The seat IS critical to enjoying the ride. I have used sheepskin over the actual seat when touring for 35 years. But this Airhawk R with the mini- bladders removed from the center are the cat's meow for anyone with chronic pelvic pain like me. We are all built differently and interface with those seats differently. BTW, I like my PR4s. I got good milage out of my PR3s, actually. All this reminds me that I need a new front tire for the FJR. OEM tires never seem to last long....but the rear is still good....
I will be hunting steel buffalos in the wilds of Montana when you are down there and I will have good thoughts for your ride! See you on the road....

Tourguy

I looked at this Meetup ride earlier and thought it to be excellent, but I have a scheduling conflict for those dates. I'm thinking seriously about the Canadian Rockies ride starting in mid July by the same ride leader. I'm making several upgrades seeking improved comfort riding the NT.
Don S.

Tourguy

Hello Phil !! Just signed on to this NT site after being off for several months, so just discovered your question.
The upgrades are the same that several have discussed, so I thought it not important . . . BUT since you asked, I put on the V-Stream windshield and am happy with it. I put on the Kaoko throttle lock and find it to be worthwhile although it takes constant fiddling. This means it's better than nothing but not ideal. I also found out that I can order items from Europe without a big hassle so got a good deal on the official Honda larger lids which was something I wanted/needed badly. I also got new boots and gloves at a better price over there. And there has been no further issue with codes I had earlier, so everything is looking good for me to do some tripping this summer. I have $$ and plans for the custom Day Long seat as well but decided to delay because of their LONG lead time which might get in the way of my rockies ride. Hope you are well also.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
there has been no further issue with codes I had earlier, so everything is looking good for me to do some tripping this summer. I have $$ and plans for the custom Day Long seat as well but decided to delay because of their LONG lead time which might get in the way of my rockies ride. Hope you are well also.
Glad you haven't had the code issues again. You will enjoy your trip. You'll be seeing some of the best places in the West.

The throttle lock "fiddling" issue is true of all of them. I've got a Throttlemeister that I bought when I got the bike. I still use it some, even though I've got a Rostra electronic cruise control (which is an awesome improvement). The only problem with the Rostra is when I'm pulling a long steep grade in the mountains at 75 or so. If I don't downshift, as the Rostra goes to full throttle, it disconnects.

Tourguy

Since you asked, Chris, I have a suggestion about this ride. I notice that Don O. is planning to head N. by Flaming Gorge Nat Mon but once you get a little N. of the dam the east side lake route is quite boring, in my opinion. The S. end of the lake is really the most interesting/scenic so I would suggest perhaps take 191 northbound just to see the sights near the dam, then come back S. and across the S. end of the lake on 44 west bound, stopping at Red Canyon and at the overlook in the campground there. See the view at: http://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=0c749dc401eb4e069b13570c70260141 . There are some really nice views along here until you leave Sheep Creek. If you have time, take what they call the "geology loop" of a few miles on gravel road, which I found to be interesting when I was there a couple years ago. Because I was taking a route to Kemmerer and Fossil Butte [414], there were long stretches of the lake W. side I did not see. BTW: this was part of my trip back from Spearfish and I will suggest a good route thru WY if you like. Your Utah Big 5 ride will be FABULOUS!!!

Top Bottom