Coolant leak

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Would anyone care to venture a guesstimate on how much $$ for a head gasket R&R?
I think I'm losing coolant from the left side of my forward jug at the head

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Don't have any idea of the cost, but this is a problem I don't remember anyone having yet. I know it is tight and hard to see up in there.
I would want to be sure with a good inspection first to verify it isn't something simpler. Can you get any pics?

Brad

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
There's no doubt that its coolant. Informative pics are impossible with the Tupperware in place and I don't have the confidence to start tearing into that jigsaw puzzle.
I have visually traced the trail of coolant to a spot level with the gap between the head and the cylinder in front on the left side.
I cleaned away all traces of the coolant trail and I'm just going to monitor that area and see if it leaks any more.
I rode the bike pretty hard coming home from the Hill Country a couple of weeks ago and I'm hoping the sheer brutality of the ride just pushed some coolant out of the engine.
I normally travel at 80ish mph but this day was spent at or above 90mph for the first 190 miles, with a staggering, neck snapping wind quartering off my port bow, only slowing for towns and one two minute fuel stop.
The bike ran cool all day, but was pushed hard, sometimes surging above 95 when I would catch a 40mph gust at my back
So I m hoping I just forced some coolant past the gasket
No visible signs of distress at the site where I think it was leaking

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I seriously doubt it will be the head gasket, that sort of failure is almost unheard of on a Honda car or motorcycle from driving the vehicle "hard".

If you have punctured the radiator OR split a coolant hose and "cooked" the motor then you may have compromised a head gasket but this is still only a "may" not a "definite".

I suspect that something higher up is leaking coolant and the air flow has forced the coolant into the location where you think it is leaking from. This is a very common scenario and I suspect the most likely scenario.

I would simply make sure that the coolant in the overflow bottle is not too low and then monitor coolant loss to see what happens.

Seagrass

Last edited:

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
something higher up is leaking coolant and the air flow has forced the coolant into the location where you think it is leaking from
I had a similar problem, and thought the same as you: a leaking head gasket. However, when everything was removed for inspection, my radiator had a very slight leak around (or behind) the upper left attachment. It looked like faulty welding; my new radiator looked only slightly better. However, no leak with the new one for 10,000 miles so far.

Ken

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Hmmmm
I guess I'm going to have to learn how to get that Tupperware off
Oy vey
I'd rather take a beating

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
A number of folks here have had problems with the radiator leaking. Typically this is something that can be repaired rather than replaced. Not familiar with any shops in your area bet if you ask around you will find something...

Bike
Honda NT700V
I had good service from Myler's in West Jordan Utah. They specialize in aluminum motorcycle radiators. 1-800-367-7699 www.motorcycleradiators.com

I bought a Versys that had been dumped and had a leaking radiator. Sent it out to them and it came back looking better than new. I think they shipped it back to me the day after they received it, so turnaround was pretty quick. I sent it in one of those flat rate priority mail boxes.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Well, I bought me a service manual, so I
Guess I'm going to learn how to get the Tupperware off. It scares me to death

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Clay,
Good luck. The first time takes some time. You might check YouTube. The Sound Guy had some good videos but check this 4 part series that includes Tupperware "how to".

Search YouTube for: NT700V Engine Coolant Maintenance: Part 01 - Intro (posted by capozzir)

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Take your time the first time is always a bit of a challenge.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
can be repaired rather than replaced
I did not find anyone locally willing to repair mine because of where it was leaking. I'd check the repair price because I bought a new one delivered for a bit over $100, delivered.

Good luck,
Ken

U20417

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I did not find anyone locally willing to repair mine because of where it was leaking. I'd check the repair price because I bought a new one delivered for a bit over $100, delivered.

Good luck,
Ken
Ken, any chance you remember where you got your new radiator?

Thanks
Richard

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The upper right is where the thermostat housing & radiator cap is located with several hoses going to the housing. You can only see these parts with the tank lifted. :-(

Top Bottom