Another Pannier locking system

Bike
2010 Burgundy NT700
02/03/2017

NT Pannier latches

My riding buddy, Mando, and I have 2010’s NT700s. He bought his in 2014 while I purchased mine a year later. We have been on several rides together where we, without a doubt and often, have had to help each other get the locking mechanism on the panniers on one or both bikes to operate. We thought we knew what we had to do to make the locking system work correctly; however, we were simply fooling ourselves.

The problems with the mechanism eventually cause us to travel with the Panniers reserved for emergency items.

Like so many other NT700 owners, we came up with a latching system to replace the OEM setup. The system uses four stainless steel, spring loaded latches (2.2” by 0.9”) from Amazon. The latches cost $2.32 for a set of four. The latches were mounted to the Pannier and body with stainless steel hardware (bolts, washers, lock washers, nuts, locking nuts).

The latches were located to avoid interference with the Pannier rubber seal, seal lip, or locking mechanism. With the lid closed and secured with OEM locking mechanism or held closed by tape, apply blue painters tape to the areas where latches will be installed. This will facilitate marking the locations of where the mounting holes will be drilled. Mark the location of the holes by holding the latches in position. Then remove latches, open the Pannier and check locations of holes for interference with the features previously mentioned. If obstructions are noted, relocate latches to minimize problems.

Once suitable locations have been chosen and marked, drill the mounting hoes in the plastic. Then use double sided tape to secure the latches to the NT. The tape not only secures and cushions the latches but also acts as a seal around the mounting bolts.

Mount the latches securely to the Pannier and body of the NT being careful not to over tighten the bolts. Check them regularly until you have confidence in the installation.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A functional fix, no doubt, but the appearance (to me) leaves something to be desired. Another forum contributor whose name escapes me found some very attractive luggage type latches that replace the OE system while still providing an elegant appearance.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

OP
OP
mtnair3
Bike
2010 Burgundy NT700
Yeah Mike. I saw that post before I offered my remedy.
The main reason I choose these particular latches was because the two small latches could be attached close to the OEM connection points thereby mimicking the original load points on the lids. I felt that was a fairly elegant solution.
After all of the trouble Mando and I had with the original system, we were not terribly concerned with the aesthetics of the remedy. Instead, we were interested in keeping the Panniers closed when we wanted them closed and in opening them easily when we wanted them opened.
Lastly, the spring loaded latches keep the lids securely closed when you are moving and inexpensive locks keep them securely closed when you are parked.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I like them
Can you tell me exactly which latches these are so I can order some?
Thanks
Clay

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
That looks like a cheap and effective fix.
The only thing that I would do differently is to use coach bolts/screws so that there is no visible + for an errant screwdriver.
I have just returned from a rally today and there was an NT650 there this morning.
The owner (female) was SLAMMING the RH pannier shut repeatedly without success.
I decided not to offer my advice or assistance as her male friend did not look too happy or friendly.
I just walked on past.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut than try to help.

Macka

OP
OP
mtnair3
Bike
2010 Burgundy NT700
Morning Clay,
The latches we used were: Fly Shop 4 set Hardware Cabinet Boxes Spring Loaded Latch Catch Toggle Hasp. We bought them through Amazon for $2.32 pus shipping. The Stainless screws were purchased at Lowe's.
Take care, ken

OP
OP
mtnair3
Bike
2010 Burgundy NT700
Evening Macka,
Alternate mounting screw seems like a smart idea. As for the other matter, you choose wisely.
Safe touring and enjoy your Summer, ken

Top Bottom