Storage flat

The snow is finally gone here. I got out the NT to take a ride for the first time since October and the front tire was flat. I aired it up and when I checked it ten minutes later it was flat. Aired it up again and checked for leaks. Couldn't find any. It went flat again. Aired up again this time 40 pounds. Checked for leaks slowly with soap and water. None found. Checked several times over two hours. No pressure loss. Rode bike 76 miles. No air loss. What happened. Was tire maybe loose from rim and resealed when I put in extra pressure, just a guess. Tires are pilot road 4's with a little over 4000 miles.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I think you are correct. AFTER a tyre goes flat it can lose its seal at the bead.
The question remains, though, why did it go flat the first time?
Perhaps the valve core is loose or faulty.

Macka

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
My guess is that your front tire had a small leak at the bead which caused it to leak when refilled but it was OK after that because the bead reseated itself.

In five months of inactivity, a tire can lose a fair amount of air plus the drop in temps because of winter (air pressure decreases in the cold) makes it go even lower. I've had some tires that always needed air when checked weekly but others that could go weeks without losing pressure. I always use RuGlyde when mounting new tires because it can help with the sealing.

Lots of different factors here.

Top Bottom