Tiger 800

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
"I suppose Mellow will make you post about the T in the Triumph section"... C Chris.

OK, good HINT Chris Here you go.
Ya, I love the motor too. Smooth and strong. Quiet going down the road, but I'm still working on adjusting the windscreen. I'll keep moving it down until it is too low then I'll raise it a little.

"I like my FJR whole bunches but I am not selling the NT"... C Chris.
I may not sell my NT either. It is advertised on several venues and zero calls so far. They only offered me $2200 for it on trade. For that pittance I'll just keep it. It is very comofrtable and an easy keeper.

"I see the sixth gear as an impediment. On our C10s,"...C Chris.
I had a C10 too and also on my Versys I did a lot of double shifts. But having just the right gear on a twisty raod is fun.
Stand by for more details (and braging) at Spearfish.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
way to go Jim. you got 100 more CC and looks like a bike you like even better. just watch out that storing in winter!

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Well I wasn't going to bore you folks with yet another "my motorcycle" post but I had such a good ride today I can't contain myself.
It hit 60 degrees today and my new Tiger needed some more break-in miles. Today I reached a mileage threshold that allows me to open the throttle another 1,000 rpms. I have to say I'm impressed with that Triumph triple engine. The Tiger runs about the same speed as the NT at equal rpms but the Tiger is much smoother. I shifted down to 5th gear and ran the tach up to 6K and I was still 17 mph over the speed limit. I know this bike will handle the freeway travel much better than the NT. You folks with FJRs will understand perfectly.

Although I rode the NT today too and, like Coyote Chris, I still like it, it IS for sale. But so far it is still a lawn ornament.

Attachments

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, your 'Stitch is ridiculously clean. How long have you had it?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
BTW, I don't ever remember my Hi-Viz 'Stitch being that bright.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well I wasn't going to bore you folks with yet another "my motorcycle" post but I had such a good ride today I can't contain myself.
It hit 60 degrees today and my new Tiger needed some more break-in miles. Today I reached a mileage threshold that allows me to open the throttle another 1,000 rpms. I have to say I'm impressed with that Triumph triple engine. The Tiger runs about the same speed as the NT at equal rpms but the Tiger is much smoother. I shifted down to 5th gear and ran the tach up to 6K and I was still 17 mph over the speed limit. I know this bike will handle the freeway travel much better than the NT. You folks with FJRs will understand perfectly.

Although I rode the NT today too and, like Coyote Chris, I still like it, it IS for sale. But so far it is still a lawn ornament.
Why are you selling the trailer? LOL

Bike
Bonneville T120
I have a good friend with a Tiger 800. He loves the bike, it's his touring machine. It took him a little while to get the windscreen just right.

That triple engine is sweet.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I have a good friend with a Tiger 800. He loves the bike, it's his touring machine. It took him a little while to get the windscreen just right.

That triple engine is sweet.
Exactly right Dan. I used the Puig windscreen with the foiler on top. Wind protection is better than my NT with the Cee Bailey especially over 60 -70 mph. Overall the bike runs quieter than the NT. Most touring Tiger riders are using the Madstad windscreens. It was amazing that when I ordered a windscreen from Motea (Germany) made in Spain for a Brittish motorcycle, sold in the USA that it fit perfectly. And it arrived two weeks before I got the bike.

I just can't say enough about that triple engine. It pulls well from 2K up, but really lights up above 5K like so many other bikes. This bike really has the potential to get me in trouble. Uh, I mean by going too far and staying gone for too long of course.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I think it's the Madstad screen that my buddy has. He will be on the Lake Superior ride in June.

Not much bothered me about my NT, but the engine noise did. Funny, my Trophy is a bit noisy too. But the sound it makes while accelerating is just intoxicating, like a jet taking off down the runway. And talk about potential trouble .....

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Re-affirmation
Just got back from a ride on my NT. That was my first ride after getting used to the Tiger. I can say with absolute certitued the Tiger is quieter, smoother and a LOT more powerful than the NT.

Quieter - both engine noise and wind noise.

Smoother - our lousy roads we have around here challenge any bike. The Tiger handles them better. The only worse handling on the Tiger was crossing the "cheese grater" on the Big Mac bridge. The Tiger doesn't like the grate decking. Probably because of the narrower front tire.

Power - I have always been satisfied with the power of the NT below 60mph. Now I'm spoiled and I expected more out fo my NT today.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Re-affirmation
Just got back from a ride on my NT. That was my first ride after getting used to the Tiger. I can say with absolute certitued the Tiger is quieter, smoother and a LOT more powerful than the NT.

Quieter - both engine noise and wind noise.

Smoother - our lousy roads we have around here challenge any bike. The Tiger handles them better. The only worse handling on the Tiger was crossing the "cheese grater" on the Big Mac bridge. The Tiger doesn't like the grate decking. Probably because of the narrower front tire.

Power - I have always been satisfied with the power of the NT below 60mph. Now I'm spoiled and I expected more out fo my NT today.

I am glad you are still enjoying your T800. Reasons for getting rid of mine were financially motivated as much as anything. I really miss the triple engine. If I had been smarter and more realistic about how I intended to use the Tiger I would have bought the XRx instead of the XCx. The week before I sold my tiger I took it out on a nice route close to the house. On the way back home I found myself going more than a little too fast on one section just to let the engine sing. If I ride that same section on the DR650 I don't get the same desire to get the engine revs up, also the DR650 feels like your going crazy speeds at much lower actual speeds. The smoothness of the triple actually contributed to significant higher speeds. I took a similar route just a couple days ago to wear in the new rear tire on the DR. Still had fun, but I rode the Tiger enough to know what I was missing engine wise. Now that I am down to just the one bike, I also miss the better touring screen (madstad), ABS, and fuel injection.

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Right Kevin, we all pick our own poison. I had the same thoughts about the XC vs the XR. I don't intend to ride off-road intentionally so I chose the XR. I tried riding off road a little. I lowered the tire pressure and rode a local road. The Tiger feels like a big heavy in loose footing. I sure wasn't comfortable and I don't think the XC version would have been much better. Knobbies would not have made it much better. I ride the same road on my bicycles. The mountain bike with 2.35" tires struggles, but the 30# fat bike with 4" tires and 8# of air handles it well. So that is about as heavy a bike as I like in the loose stuff.

tawilke46

Ooooooh, ahhhhh, owwwwww, I feel the slight tingle of an urge to go look at a Triumph 800 XR........low. In blue thank you very much. Damn this thread!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Ooooooh, ahhhhh, owwwwww, I feel the slight tingle of an urge to go look at a Triumph 800 XR........low. In blue thank you very much. Damn this thread!
There are two Triumph dealers in KC. Both are friendly to test rides. If you decide to try one, I would try to ride it on a warm day. I wouldn't call mine uncomfortably hot, but I felt more engine heat off it than any other bike I owned. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. Just something to be aware of and check out if your really interested in one.

None of my other bikes are known for any engine heat though. On ADVrider, and triumphrat.net there are threads about engine heat on the T800s. Most don't have a problem, especially if they wear good riding pants. I think the newer ones 2015+ are better or cooler than the first generation ones. The 2015+ "X" models also get a true cruise control.

Last edited:
OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mine does give off "noticable" engine heat. Warmest I've ridden is in the 80s and it wasn't "hot". I've been on worse bikes.

Wayne, I've seen the "low". Nice bike, but the killer for me is you lose the center stand with the low version. I had one bike (Versys) with a chain drive and no center stand - never again. That is really a stupid idea.
Didn't mean to aggravate you Wayne, but then if you want a different motorcycle that's your problem. The salesman will love you.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Hmmm, methinks you mean Tim, not Wayne. I haven't posted here until now. Anyway if I were to do another Triumph it would be a Bonneville T120 in Cinder Red....:smile:

Top Bottom