Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tiger 800

My Gallery

Re: Tiger 800

BMW has a TPMS that compensates for temperature. Whether it is 58 or 78, it'll tell you what your tire pressure is adjusted for a temperature of 68F. I think it is a little more technically advanced that I care about. I still sit down on the garage floor with the tires "cold" and check my tire pressure with a tire gauge.

I figure if my bike starts feeling all squirmy, the TPMS will confirm that either it is road grooves the tires are following (no warning), or that I have a puncture and flat tire (warning).

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT, Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V (Gone, but not forgotten!)
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

My Gallery

Make darn sure you use metal valve stems if you use the screw on style. The weight of the sensor being spun around can destroy a rubber valve stem...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    The only TPMS sensors I've had experience with require that you remove the tire to replace the battery/sensor.
    Are there some that can be replaced from the outside?
    Hawskhead is one that is getting some good feedback on STO.. you want a metal valve stem if you use any type of TPMS like this as the weight, however insignificant it seems, will cause a failure with a rubber valve stem.
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...ad-TPMS-Review
    Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff"

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I can gua-ran-damn-tee that a rubber valve stem wouldn't work. Doran sends you two metal valve stems as part of the package.

I had bought a very light-weight brass 90-degree adapter for my first Concours because the OEM stems mad it very difficult to fill the tires with any air chuck I could find in Ft Morgan. Nobody told me not to leave it on, and one day I had just pulled on to I-76 and engaged my throttle lock, when the rubber stem failed. I barely managed to keep from going down. and it took over three hours for the tow truck to get there, during which time probably 75-100 bikes went by and nobody stopped.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

This one is for Coyote Chris.

Chris, you made some noise about considering a Tiger 800 a while back, and I haven't heard anything from you since. Well the gossip now is that Triumph, Honda, KTM, BMW, and Yamaha are all makeing some significant changes to their adventure bikes. You may have been wise to sit on your hands for a while. You may end up with an '18 model with good new things, or be able to buy an outdated '17 model at a close out price. Either way that's a win for you. I can't believe how smart you are!!!!

So, until the Motorcycle show when all these new bikes are likely to be announced we really don't know much. MCN has had some coverage or European models, but that doesn't mean we will see them here. After we get a look (on line) at these new bikes I bet the forums will light up - even for us "dated" people.

+ New Posts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345