Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tiger 800

My Gallery

Re: Tiger 800

BMW has a TPMS that compensates for temperature. Whether it is 58 or 78, it'll tell you what your tire pressure is adjusted for a temperature of 68F. I think it is a little more technically advanced that I care about. I still sit down on the garage floor with the tires "cold" and check my tire pressure with a tire gauge.

I figure if my bike starts feeling all squirmy, the TPMS will confirm that either it is road grooves the tires are following (no warning), or that I have a puncture and flat tire (warning).

Chris

› Site Search for: Tiger 800
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT, Ebenezer - 2011 Honda NT700V (Gone, but not forgotten!)
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

My Gallery

Make darn sure you use metal valve stems if you use the screw on style. The weight of the sensor being spun around can destroy a rubber valve stem...
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    The only TPMS sensors I've had experience with require that you remove the tire to replace the battery/sensor.
    Are there some that can be replaced from the outside?
    Hawskhead is one that is getting some good feedback on STO.. you want a metal valve stem if you use any type of TPMS like this as the weight, however insignificant it seems, will cause a failure with a rubber valve stem.
    http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...ad-TPMS-Review
    Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff"

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I can gua-ran-damn-tee that a rubber valve stem wouldn't work. Doran sends you two metal valve stems as part of the package.

I had bought a very light-weight brass 90-degree adapter for my first Concours because the OEM stems mad it very difficult to fill the tires with any air chuck I could find in Ft Morgan. Nobody told me not to leave it on, and one day I had just pulled on to I-76 and engaged my throttle lock, when the rubber stem failed. I barely managed to keep from going down. and it took over three hours for the tow truck to get there, during which time probably 75-100 bikes went by and nobody stopped.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 118,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

+ New Posts
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345