Metzeler Roadtec Z1

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Perhaps the German magazine may be a little biased towards the German manufactured, German tyre over a Spanish made French tyre.
Just a thought!

Macka

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think it leaves you needing a better translation. I could not understand most of what was being said.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So...where does that leave me when looking for new tires?
For me one review doesn't mean too much...especially if I don't know the reviewer. The Michelin's have a proven track record, at least on the NT. Metzler's have also worked well for me in the past. So availability and cost are the next two factors I look at when buying tires.

As a BMW owner you might appreciate this one. When I had my 1996 BMW R1100R the local dealer told me I had to use OEM tires, installed at a BMW dealership, to keep my warranty in place. Only the OEM tires were warranted to work properly with the ABS system. :eek1: For some reason they wouldn't put that one in writing...:rolleyes1: :wink: I had Michelin's installed...

Perhaps the German magazine may be a little biased towards the German manufactured, German tyre over a Spanish made French tyre.
Just a thought!

Macka
LOL, that would never happen....:rolleyes1: :rofl1:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
As a BMW owner you might appreciate this one. When I had my 1996 BMW R1100R the local dealer told me I had to use OEM tires, installed at a BMW dealership, to keep my warranty in place. Only the OEM tires were warranted to work properly with the ABS system. :eek1: For some reason they wouldn't put that one in writing...:rolleyes1: :wink: I had Michelin's installed...
:rolleyes1: :rofl1:
Sounds more like a Harley dealer to me.

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
This "reviewer" loves his Metzeler Roadtecs. Yes, I am German but I have lived in America my whole life...btw I added a bottle of Ride On tire balancer and sealant when they were brand new (3 months ago) and they MIGHT need 1/2 a pound of air right now. Maybe.

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
This "reviewer" loves his Metzeler Roadtecs. Yes, I am German but I have lived in America my whole life...btw I added a bottle of Ride On tire balancer and sealant when they were brand new (3 months ago) and they MIGHT need 1/2 a pound of air right now. Maybe.
It will be interesting to see how many miles you accumulate before you need to replace... From what I read, the Roadtec 01 tires are direct competition to the PR4's I installed 2 months ago. The old PR4s I took off provided me 16400 miles of enjoyable use.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The wear looks good so far. Only about 2000 miles. I got 10,000 out of the original BT 20's and the only reason I replaced them is they were flat spotted from freeway riding. I also bought the bike with 21 miles on it...but it was 4 years old so the tires were probably harder, which may have given me more miles. I'm pretty easy on tires....16,000...that's pretty darn good.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I asked Revzilla if (and when) Dunflop might make a 150 sized Roadsmart III. No answer yet.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I asked Revzilla if (and when) Dunflop might make a 150 sized Roadsmart III. No answer yet.
I queried Dunlop with that question and they said due to demand, they had no plans to offer the RS 3 in a 150.... damn! I wonder how the 160 would work on the NT?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
. . . btw I added a bottle of Ride On tire balancer and sealant when they were brand new (3 months ago) and they MIGHT need 1/2 a pound of air right now. Maybe.
Not to steal the thread, but I too love RideOn. The only flats I have ever had were with tires that did not have RideOn added.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had a Roadsmart II on the rear and it squared off nearly flat in about 8K miles.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I suspect the only difference you'd find would be the speedometer would read too slow by a certain percentage. You'd get used to compensating for it.

As far as clearance goes, take a look at the inside of the wheel area and see if there's anything that might cause interference. If I understand it correctly, you're only talking about a 5mm addition on each side of the wheel.

And there's still an awesome choice in the PR4 available.

Chris
The speedo difference is <2% and I don't think clearance would be an issue. Sorry, the PR4's are undoubtedly fine tires, but I don't do Michelins.

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
Does Metzeler make the rear in a 150?

I don't even see the Z1 on the US website yet.

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Bill, RevZilla has the Roadtec O1 in 150/70x17. I don't see the Z1 listed anywhere either. The O1 is ranked by RevZilla as equal to the PR4.

Top Bottom