Flat from what?

Bike
2010 Red NT700v
Michelin wants me to take my bike into a shop for an "assessment". But, from anyone else's opinion is this from a failure? I don't recall running over anything that might cause something like this. FYI....There was nothing pulled out. This is how I found it. It is a rear Michelin Pilot Activ with approximately 1,700 miles on it.
TIA
tire.jpg

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
It is normal practice for tyre companies to want to inspect a tyre if it has had a premature failure (certainly normal in Australia anyway).

In my limited experience they will assess whether there is any damage from an impact or a foreign object. It is a bit hard to tell from your picture but it does look like the tyre could have been damaged from a foreign object piercing the tyre so be prepared for the assessor to come to this conclusion and be ready to argue the case against this if that is the conclusion.

Hopefully the assessor will find it is a premature failure of the tyre and not damage by a foreign body.

Segrass

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
likey ran something that didn't stick it, even sharp plastic parts on road can slice,and you won't even know

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
^^^^^^ What they said above. Manufacturers will look for any excuse to deny a warranty. Most often you never know what faltted you tire. I have found nails, screws, and sharp stones in tires, but mostly just holes. Maybe there is some evidence of a tire defect visible on the inside, but I doubt it.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
A close look at the jagged cut-line looks to me like the edge of the line is chamfered from the outside of the cut toward the inside.
To me, this infers a penetration form the outside.
If it was an internal failure I would expect the line to be puckered outwards.

Macka

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
A close look at the jagged cut-line looks to me like the edge of the line is chamfered from the outside of the cut toward the inside.
To me, this infers a penetration form the outside.
If it was an internal failure I would expect the line to be puckered outwards.

Macka
^^^^What he said!

It looks like damage from debris left behind on the road from a previous accident.

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT700v
Verdict was debris. Oh well...At least I had ordered another tire JIC. And now, I'm back on the road again!!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I was pretty sure that if I had been Michelin's representative, I would have told you that it was a cut from something on the road, not a defect in the tire. Glad you had ordered the tire!

Top Bottom