Searching the Forum

Good Day All,

I know that anyone who contributes to a forum such as this, especially the long-time members, can get worn down with duplicate questions especially when some searching could have identified earlier threads that dealt with the same topic.

I had some questions about fuel level and the calibration of the fuel gauge on the NT700V, and performed many searches. The problem that I had is getting back too many hits that were not relevant.

Trying searches with "fuel gauge" vs "fuel gauge calibration" or "fuel+gauge+calibration" did not return any different results. It's been a few weeks now, but I seem to recall that any thread that had either "fuel", "gauge", or "calibration" came back. Therefore, in order to get the most out of the Forum and prevent duplicate posts, what is the key to searching to make all three terms present in a search hit?

Also, when searching it's quite common not to find what you want the first time and so one searches again. I found it odd that this forum imposes a time limit before the next search can be performed. What is the reasoning for that?

Kind Regards,

Terry
St Augustine, FL

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Can't explain the reasoning for the time limit, but fire away with your questions. We are a rather friendly group and no one is going to get their undies in a bunch if you ask a question that has been asked before.

Mike

dlb

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
just throwing in my two cents here on the fuel gauge.... honda manual specifies 1.2 gallon reserve. it's been my experience that the fuel gauge displays the level of the non-reserve - - 4 gallons ( one division per ).. when i'm at the bottom of the E, it takes 4 gallons to fill up.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Good Day All,

I know that anyone who contributes to a forum such as this, especially the long-time members, can get worn down with duplicate questions especially when some searching could have identified earlier threads that dealt with the same topic.

I had some questions about fuel level and the calibration of the fuel gauge on the NT700V, and performed many searches. The problem that I had is getting back too many hits that were not relevant.

Trying searches with "fuel gauge" vs "fuel gauge calibration" or "fuel+gauge+calibration" did not return any different results. It's been a few weeks now, but I seem to recall that any thread that had either "fuel", "gauge", or "calibration" came back. Therefore, in order to get the most out of the Forum and prevent duplicate posts, what is the key to searching to make all three terms present in a search hit?

Also, when searching it's quite common not to find what you want the first time and so one searches again. I found it odd that this forum imposes a time limit before the next search can be performed. What is the reasoning for that?

Kind Regards,

Terry
St Augustine, FL
Searching from the forum has rarely given me good results, I don't know why.

To get better results google search "fuel gauge" with the site specified. Example: site:nt-owners.org fuel gauge

Another search hint: If I remember making a comment several years ago about the fuel gauge inaccuracies I would throw in my name also and search "site:nt-owners.org fuel gauge dnktng"

Bike
2013 Harley Police bike
I believe the fuel gauge is calibrated to keep you from running out of fuel and to keep the fuel pump submerged to run cooler and last longer. If I run mine down to the red zone, it will only take 4 gallons to fill.

OP
OP
Thank you gentlemen,

I just ran three searches again to illustrate what I'm seeing, and will attach those screenshots. I'm running a Windows PC with Firefox 52.0.2 as my browser.

Search 1 "fuel gauge calibration" 217 results
ScreenHunter_1070 Apr. 16 12.39.jpgScreenHunter_1071 Apr. 16 12.39.jpg

Search 2 "gas gage calibration" 227 results
ScreenHunter_1072 Apr. 16 12.39.jpgScreenHunter_1073 Apr. 16 12.40.jpg

Search 3 "fuel gage calibration" 231 results
ScreenHunter_1074 Apr. 16 12.40.jpgScreenHunter_1075 Apr. 16 12.40.jpg

I just think that if I'm getting poor filtered results like this, that there's probably others that are having the same issue. Again, the intent here is that if there is something wrong with the search function, then all affected users could benefit from improved filtering of their searches.

I took some pictures when I pumped out and refilled my tank a few weeks ago and will post that in another thread.

Kind Regards,

Terry

Attachments

OP
OP
It appears that the first screenshot I posted from 33 Jan was from a stock review; how do I edit the post to get rid of that one?

Terry

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Nothing wrong with the search, this software has been know to have a weak search function. Google is a great alternative to it.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
A good rule of thumb for the NT is when you get to 200 miles, start looking for gas. If you do that you should never run out

Bike
Silver NT700V
No comment on searches.

As for the fuel gauge, here is what I found. The tank hold 5 gallons US. The gauge will not move much from full for several miles. When it does, at the half mark it pretty close. When the needle pegs, there is one gallon left.

I "confirmed" this one night on an SS1000 ride by coaxing 60 miles out of that last gallon and pumping 4.9 gallons at the fill up.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Thank you all,

I've been told over the years that I have far more than just a passing tendency towards OCD, and admittedly I struggle with letting go when I should. That said, it seems to me that the search function is using each word with an "OR" operator, as opposed to an "AND" operator. Perhaps it's a simple fix somewhere in the software. But "Google" it shall be for now.

Kind Regards,

Terry

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
actually the tank holds 5.2 gal. I have a few comments about stretching the miles out from a full tank. most I got was I think was 327 miles, while in Colorado in 2015. just have to look thru forum. might look for " mpg, most miles on tank, etc

Top Bottom