The ideal two-bike combo?

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
I am now semi-retired (no more regular work but I still do part-time, on-call engineering consulting) and have been thinking of what is the ideal two-bike combination. I accept that there is no “ideal” motorcycle.

I live in a rural area of southern Idaho, close to the Boise urbanized area but at the edge of the rural farmland. I have space and resources to afford two motorcycles.

I have had an NT 700 for 60,000 miles and recently purchased a used SH150 scooter (http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/SH150i/Reviews/SH150i.html). I once used the NT for commuting but now only for rural cruises. The 100 MPG SH150 is used for short trips around town, but sometimes I take longer rides on the low-volume rural roads.

I have been thinking of selling the SH150 and buying an NC700 or the CB500X for the rural cruises and rides on the very rural gravel roads in the adjacent county. The 2017 Honda CFR150 Rally (edited to read CFR 250 Rally) seems to be another alternative. The NT is too heavy for those rural roads and the SH150 is too slow for the higher speed state highways that I need to get to those areas.

I ask if any of you have a similar challenge, a suggested plan, or a feasible alternative. I am not interested in three motorcycles.

At the end of my challenge, I decided that there is no ideal combo. It really depends upon how and where you ride. I also know that an NT700 is one part of that combo. Do I need to consider an alternative to the SH150?

Super Dave

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Did you mean CRF250 Rally? I didn't see a CRF 150 rally on Honda website. I wouldn't want to go smaller than 250cc.
I have a Kawasaki KLX 250. I don't use it much but it is so light and different from a larger street bike it puts more fun in riding. I am close to retiring and may get more time to use both bikes. A disadvantage to my 2006 KLX is the fuel tank is too small. I am always watching it and planning fuel stops. Since I use it so little (1000 miles a year) the small tank helps keep the gas fresher.

Brad

OP
OP
SuperDave
Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setti
It seems very similar to what I'm thinking. Not stump jumping off-road use, but going down the local forest roads that are dirt and gravel, yet having a bike that'll take you on the pavement till you get there. The limitation I have of not wanting a high seat height, may not be an issue for Dave.

Chris
That is exactly the way I am thinking.

Super Dave

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Unfortunately I have not met you personally so I have no idea how tall or short you are. Just a suggestion. Bikes can always be lowered. Also look at the CB500X. If it fits. and I might have a XT350 for sale soon if one does not mind kick start.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I will second the option of the DR650. You should try one if you can. The great thing about the DR650 is their reliability. They are not known for burning oil, and have been made virtually unchanged since 1996. In the early 2000's they updated the base gasket. Point being you can pick up a very good buy. In fact i did an Idaho on craigslist and found this:
https://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/6078677185.html

For $2900 you can get an economical, low maintenance to suit your needs. the photo shows the stock seat, which most find uncomfortable, but it is easy and cheap to buy a seat concepts foam and cover to remedy it. I did this before my DR650 had 500 miles on it.

I purchased my DR650 brand new in 2012. I modified it to be kinda like a KLR (bigger gas tank, windscreen) and like it much better than the KLRs I have encountered. Chuck has had both and can give you a better comparo. In short the DR is a little lower, a lot lighter, has a better engine, and a better all-purpose suspension. In the time that I have owned it, I have also had my NT700 and recently a tiger 800. Loved all three of these bikes, but the DR is the go-to bike. In fact, today I actually sold my Tiger. I am now down to just the DR650 which means it has survived two more expensive bikes. The tiger arguably was a better bike in almost every measure, but I don't have much time to ride these days and find the DR650 meets all of my "needs". I am back to considering the Super Tenere for my touring bike. It was the bike I was saving up for before I bought the Tiger. I will probably only have the DR for the near future though. So hopefully someday I can get back to two bikes, and I want the touring bike to be another tubeless tire shafty.

I could go on and on about the DR650. If you are interested be sure to check out drriders.com. May not be your cup of tea, but it is hard to see how you could go wrong with it.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Make sure you check the seat height on the DR650 to make sure you can straddle it. I love these kinds of motorcycles but my 30" inseam makes them a challenge and adding a lowering kit seems to defeat their purpose.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The other bike that may be worth considering is a DL650 V-Strom.

These are a very capable bike with the same engine as the DR650 but a lower seat height and are a "dual purpose" bike that can easily cruise on the open road and handle gravel roads when you get to them.

The V-Strom is a little lighter than the NT but still not as light as the DR650 so it may not be what you are looking for but I thought I would make the suggestion.

Seagrass

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The DL650 is actually a V-twin, fuel injected and makes significantly more power than the DR650. I think that as a second bike the DL650 is much closer to the NT though.

Good deals on DL650s can be had too.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If you are looking for ONE all around do it all bike the DL650 V-Strom is the bike to have. It beat out my NT700 because it was lighter, more power and did the dirt roads better than the NT. I am now on my second generation V-Strom 650 and long ago sold my NT700. But then again I also have a FJR to really get the blood flowing. The V-Strom is a completely different animal than the DR650.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Seat height is a concern for us inseam challenged but may not be a deal breaker. I replaced the "dog bones" on my KLX to lower it. It is an easy mod and I still have plenty of suspension that is very adjustable.
Still many bikes seats are pretty tall and turn me away from them for everyday bee bopping around use.

Brad

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
The DL650 is actually a V-twin, fuel injected and makes significantly more power than the DR650. I think that as a second bike the DL650 is much closer to the NT though.

Good deals on DL650s can be had too.
Thanks for that correction, not sure what I was thinking as I did know the DL650 was a twin and the DR650 was a single. Must be that older age creeping up on my memory cells.

Seagrass

Super Dave, you might take a look at my postings on the CSC RX3, a Chinese-made 250cc "adventure" bike. Though they have some issues many owners are quite happy with them. There are a number of enthusiastic RX3 riders in Idaho. It might fit your requirement as an alternative to the NT.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Great little bike. I have seen and sat on one, as my local dealers have them, but have not ridden one yet. This little bike is also in my future to replace my 93 XT350. Let us know how it works out and if you like the little bike when you finally own it.

Last edited:
Thursday of this week I bought a 2017 NC700X DCT. Only have ridden it twice so far but love the easy riding in stop and go traffic. Also took it into the mountains and it leaned into the corners confidently but I wasn't pushing it on the new tires. Ever since I bought the NT and the Silverwing scooter I have thought the ideal bike would be an automatic with the riding position of a motorcycle. The 70 pounds lighter weight and low CG also is a bonus in handling. The windshield is next to nothing at speed and it has no panniers or centerstand. Essentials I will be searching for.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Charley, I've got a friend who lives near Spearfish who has the same bike. He's made some fairly simple looking mods that have given him weather protection and luggage capacity. We've ridden together in the mountains and he stayed right with me. I was feeling pretty good about having gotten 58mpg on the NT after riding at a "spirited pace." He walked over from the other pump and had gotten 83mpg. I was impressed!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[I bought a 2017 NC700X DCT. Only have ridden it twice so far but love the easy riding in stop and go traffic...The 70 pounds lighter weight and low CG also is a bonus in handling. The windshield is next to nothing at speed and it has no panniers or centerstand...]

I bought a slightly used (750 miles) 2013 NT700X/w DCT from a friend and have been happy with it. I've tried several different windshields and settled on a Madstad but it's still far noisier than the NT - it's more than just a windshield because the front shape of the NC is aerodynamically "dirty." My bike came with a centerstand and I've fitted SW-moto side racks and Givi hard bags so I have luggage capacity. I've taken it on several multi-state rides and I've learned how to keep the chain clean & lubed on long rides.

Being short of the insteam, having a bike is much lower CG is great. Oh yeah, I had to lower it because the original seat height was 32.7" and now about 2" lower.

Top Bottom