Clicking when throttle turned

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
My 2010 NT 700 makes a clicking sound when the throttle passes 1600rpm, either accelerating or decelerating. The "click" comes from under the gas tank. There is no click if the engine is not actually running. Twisting the throttle with the engine off, either with the ignition off or on makes no sound.

Otherwise the bike runs fine - the "click" does not seem to affect performance. Probing with my stethoscope did not reveal the source.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Hugh

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Is it a "single" click or a "series" of clicks?

Mike

OP
OP
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
It is a single click and only when passing through 1600 rpm either accelerating or decelerating. Sounds a bit like a solenoid and I note there are several in the vicinity of the throttle bodies. I used my stethoscope but couldn't locate the source. Don't think I can raise the tank and run the engine to source the click. (I dread pulling off all the tipper ware.) Also, no faults showing on the instrument panel.

I've a long trip in the offing and I don't relish the thought of being stranded in the back of beyond with a bike which most Honda shops don't understand.

Brgds

H

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Hard to tell from a "click" but my wild guess it might be the solenoid to the evap canister. It may be programed to close at low RPM for better idle control.
Remember just a guess.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I think Brad may be correct, but it may be opening to allow fuel vapors to be burned by the engine. IIRC the solenoid is normally closed thus the click will be heard upon opening. Either way, it should not interfere in any way with your trip.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Wear earplugs and all those weird noises go away! :)

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A solenoid can click going open or closed. The coil snapping it in one direction and a spring snapping in the other.
Earplugs could be the perfect solution.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
A solenoid can click going open or closed. The coil snapping it in one direction and a spring snapping in the other.
Earplugs could be the perfect solution.

Brad
Of course, my post was worded badly. I meant to imply that the solenoid was opening at 1600 rpm. In any event, it is nothing to worry about. I have never heard mine do that but my hearing is not so good anymore..... like everything else..... <sigh>...

Mike

Deleted member 540

My 2010 makes the same sound. I'd forgotten about it until your post. I have over 24k on the bike with no problems. Enjoy the ride!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My ears aren't very good but I'm going to listen for it on mine.

Brad

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Hugh,

It is indeed a solenoid, there are two on the engine. One is the solenoid that purges the EVAP canister, and the other is for an AIR injection system ( exhaust emissions cleanup). The clicking is the various systems doing their jobs, and is perfectly normal. They do seem quite noticeable on the NT though, we don't hear them inside cars because there's a insulated firewall between us and the engine bay.

Brad
2010 NT700V Maroon
1981 CM400A Hondamatic

Top Bottom