ok UOU JUT HEs SW out of tripolie BOUT 100 MILES nd you will dins itLOL

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Well, I may not be back in the saddle as quickly as I hoped. My left leg is really low on strength. Right now I'm not sure I could hold the bike up if it leaned very far to the left. I'm going to do some exercise on it in the garage. Just hope I don't drop it on Joanne's CRV. She'd be bummed if I did that.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Just hope I don't drop it on Joanne's CRV. She'd be bummed if I did that.
And we'll leave what you would be out of the discussion....:eek1: Take it easy Phil, when I had my left wrist "rebuilt" it took a couple months after the PT was officially "over" before it was back to near normal...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Wayne and Chris, I know what you guys are talking about. I had the surgery on my hand on Sept 15, and it still bugs me. I can't write worth a flip. I have to print and even that's not terribly legible. My signature has started to look more like it always had -- barely legible. I'm not too worried about being able to have my leg bent, it's just that I don't have much strength right now. Now that I'm not worried about the osteotomy (that's what the doc told me the wedge-shaped cut he made in my tibia is called), I'm going to start walking w/o my cane and climbing steps to build up my strength.

At any rate, I'm medically cleared to ride. Now, if I can get enough stronger than I can clear myself, physically and emotionally, I will be back in the saddle again.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
At any rate, I'm medically cleared to ride. Now, if I can get enough stronger than I can clear myself, physically and emotionally, I will be back in the saddle again.
Just don't come down with a case of "Get-Riding-itis", a variant of the deadly "Get Home-itis", and hop back on too soon...that disease has got a lot of folks.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Just don't come down with a case of "Get-Riding-itis",
I'm aware that it's lurking and am determined to not let it get me! Fortunately, I've got plenty of signals just in daily activities that remind me that I'm not back up to speed yet. Joanne and I just finished moving a bookcase from the basement to the living room. It nearly killed us both. It's one of the cheap composite glued-particle-covered-with-veneer deals and they're unreasonably heavy, but this shouldn't have been quite so difficult. I told her that the bookcase was one thing, but just getting me up and down the stairs was plenty challenging. Oh, well...

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
[QUdOTE=Comanche;151080]Hey there, Eldon

Doug good to heR FROM YOU!

iT SOUNDS LIKE I BEST KEEP THt offer to Phil open ND HOPE HE DONT Tle me up on it A I WOULSREllu miss tjT DESSERT!!!

pHILL YOU KEEP ON THE EXERCIAE PROGRm so you will be set for 3 flGS

ELDON

Phil, take your time until you're confident you can ride and hold up the bike. After a shoulder rebuild, I wasn't as strong as I wanted to be but still went riding. Fortunately, I didn't my bike. You've been at this rodeo several times and you know what to do. Good luck.

Terry

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, Terry. As I was going to sleep last night it struck me that what I probably ought to do to speed up the process is go back to physical therapy. Since I quit PT six weeks ago due to my doc's concern about whether the osteotomy (the wedge-cut he'd made in the tibia) was securely healed then, I have lost a lot of the strength that we had built up in the leg and I've lost some (not much) of the range of motion I had gained. I'm thinking that a couple of weeks of PT will probably be enough. The other thing I'm going to do is fill my doc's prescription to have a couple of my right shoe soles built up 3/4".

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Thanks, Terry. As I was going to sleep last night it struck me that what I probably ought to do to speed up the process is go back to physical therapy. Since I quit PT six weeks ago due to my doc's concern about whether the osteotomy (the wedge-cut he'd made in the tibia) was securely healed then, I have lost a lot of the strength that we had built up in the leg and I've lost some (not much) of the range of motion I had gained. I'm thinking that a couple of weeks of PT will probably be enough. The other thing I'm going to do is fill my doc's prescription to have a couple of my right shoe soles built up 3/4".
That shoe sole thing is no joke....I have another friend who had a hip replaced. He looks like you and he has had other physical catastrophies in his life. He rides a spyder. He is getting a foot uplift to help him walk.
Saving souls and saving soles....
(By the way, I dont know a thing about your wife's particular CRV and you probably already know this but Honda has really back peddled on the change interval of the CRV/Element differential/AWD dual pump fluid change interval. The 60K/four year interval is out the window and 30,000 miles is the new norm. Its easy to change and if you dont do it, you will hear grinding going around a corner and you better change it NOW or you might have to burnish the clutch plates in the differential. ) Use only Honda Dual Pump II fluid.)

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, thanks for the advice about the Honda differential fluid. Our dealer has been real good about telling us what we need to do so far.

I had my first session of my 2nd round of PT today. They worked me hard but it was sure good to get back to it. I hope the shoe repair guy gets my new shoe's sole built up quickly. That'll help a lot. I've decided I'll get a motorcycle boot built up, too.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Chris, thanks for the advice about the Honda differential fluid. Our dealer has been real good about telling us what we need to do so far.

I had my first session of my 2nd round of PT today. They worked me hard but it was sure good to get back to it. I hope the shoe repair guy gets my new shoe's sole built up quickly. That'll help a lot. I've decided I'll get a motorcycle boot built up, too.
Excellent. I cant remember...did you lower your bike like Frosty did?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I cant remember...did you lower your bike like Frosty did?
No, mine's still stock. But i do use a Russell DayLong saddle. It's narrowed quite a bit at the front. I suppose I could lower the bike, but it's height isn't the reason I'd build up a boot. That would be to make walking in motorcycle boots easier.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I suppose I could lower the bike, but it's height isn't the reason I'd build up a boot. That would be to make walking in motorcycle boots easier.
Sure...I just thought maybe it would be easier/safer paddling the bike around or catching yourself if it starts to tip...

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I suppose I could lower the bike, but it's height isn't the reason I'd build up a boot. That would be to make walking in motorcycle boots easier.
Sure...I just thought maybe it would be easier/safer paddling the bike around or catching yourself if it starts to tip...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
LOL, Wayne! I'll enjoy it. :-0

Chris, you may be right. How did Frosty lower his bike?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
LOL, Wayne! I'll enjoy it. :-0

Chris, you may be right. How did Frosty lower his bike?
(we are meeting karl for breakfast. I will try to remember to ask. I think in the front he just lowered the fork tubes in the tripple clamps and he bought a ready made bracket for the rear suspension. IIRC he lowered the bike the better of 2 inches. It really feels different when you sit on it. )

Top Bottom