Safety Training Tour

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Scratched my spring motorcycle itch last week. I rode down to Pittsburgh and attended the Stayin'Safe Training Tour in SE Ohio. The ride down was interstate riding from Mackinaw Bridge to Pittsburgh so it doesn't warrant any elaboration except to say I got lost in Detroit. The ride across the UP of MI was great but cool. Saw 2 wolves and no deer - maybe the wolves are winning.

The training was good for me. I signed up at the strong recommendation of 2 forum members who took the same class last year. I had 3 objectives.
1. Reinforce my safety skills and learn new ones.
2. Assess where my riding competence is at (I'm a senior rider).
3. Ride my motorcyle.
All three objectives were met and exceeded, although I had to try real hard to enjoy the interstate riding. The back roads on the training tour were great. I took a few "extra credit" back roads on my way home. At one point I crested a hill and found a SUV upside-down in a field at the end of some skid marks. I was at the proper speed and lane position to deal with the incident (from my training).

I'm not going to be a salesman for the Stayin'Safe training program, but it was very good for me. It was a good re-inforcement of some basic stuff and some new (to me) techniques too. The people on the tour and the instructors were great too. Students rode two Tigers, two Harleys, and two BMW GSAs. The instructors rode a Super Ten', a Harley, and an FJR.

On the ride home I did a masterful job of threading the needle between rain showers (OK, so there was some luck involved too) and arrived home just before the monsoon. 2,500 miles in 5 1/2 days. Love the new Tiger.

Photos show dinner discussion, instructors Eric and Hal, and some un-named bugs from Mi upper peninsula.

Attachments

Last edited:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Thanks for sharing, Jim. I'm going to get training for the same reasons as soon as I can get safely back on the bike. I got worked hard in physical therapy today -- feels like they'll build me up pretty quickly. I wish I could get Eric Trow to do a course out here in the mountains.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Them "Yooper" bugs bear a remarkable resemblance to our Missouri bugs!

:wink:

Mike

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Don't know if the wolves are putting down the number. Past the Mississippi the most common roadkill are deer/ Elk. semis seem to be doing a good job thinning the herd. All the safety training personally taken has made me a better safer rider and each day tells me that more would not hurt.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
semis seem to be doing a good job thinning the herd.
Not good enough! I've got nothing against deer except the fact that they can't learn to stay off the road. Except (maybe in the Black Hills of Wyoming and SD. I saw more deer there than I've ever seen anywhere, but fewer deer on the road and fewer roadkill deer than I see around here.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Bambi is my biggest concern after dusk around here. With the roads lined with bushes they can pop out right in front of you with ZERO warning...:eek1:

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Sounds like Jim you had a great ride, it been cold up in UP, hope you missed snow. Funny weather again this spring.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Jim, thanks for the great write up. I was one of the guys that took the Advanced Riding Course last year. Every time I hit the road on my NT I can hear Eric in my helmet. It's not just parking lot training, it's real life on the road situations. The conversations between instructors and attendees was great also, motorcycles and riding! The night at the Mill was neat also. BB

tawilke46

Sure wish they could have a course like that closer to us here in Red Stick.
I like that the discussion table included some adult beverage! Always gets the conversation rolling!

Cresting a hill is always a concern to me, cause you never know what may be on the other side of the hill, as you experienced on your ride home. Same applies to blind curves.....

Good write up Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Jim,

It was nice to meet you as you passed through the Buckeye State. Glad you made it home safely. I watched the radar and I'll bet you went around to the west side of Lake Michigan.

Dan

OP
OP
junglejim

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Jim,

It was nice to meet you as you passed through the Buckeye State. Glad you made it home safely. I watched the radar and I'll bet you went around to the west side of Lake Michigan.

Dan
Nope - I went up Hwy 23 to Big Mac and across the UP. Just a little light rain untilOdanha to home (30 mi)

Top Bottom