Retirement suits me fine!

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I haven't been on the site for a while, as the last month has been a whirlwind!
I had planned to work until June 2018, at my job for the last 21 years and retire at 66 for full SS benefits.
But April 20th, employees at the John Deere dealership were surprised by the announcement that our 5 dealerships had been purchased by another family Group of 7 dealerships.
It would not have been a difficult transition if it wasn't for the fact that the new owners use a completely different business system. After looking at their practices in Warranty Administration, I also found they were filing claims in a way that I could see they were leaving a lot of money on the table by using this shortcut process and I just didn't think after 21 years and numerous updates of our own, i was not looking forward to learning a whole new system for one more year of work.
I also didn't see exactly how I was going to fit into their regimented job descriptions. I have worked at almost every job in this dealership at one time or another, from Service to Parts , to Accounting, to Payroll Prep., along with my main Warranty work. I can fill in for almost anyone in the organization, whether for an hour or for several weeks. I was kind of the "floater" that was the go-to guy for newer employees when they needed help with a problem or finding information.
After going through the two years of terrible muscle pain until I figured out the cause was the "Statins" I was taking, last November, I was really looking forward to retirement. So I moved the date up to the middle of June this year, after the announcement.. The transition was having its bumps, so I figured there was no reason to order new uniforms and spend time learning their system for 1 1/2 months, so I decided at 3 PM , May 11, to retire at 5 PM after discussing my decision with the new HR . I didn't tell anyone as I returned to my office and cleaned my desk and computer, and at 5 PM, I said my goodbyes to my good friends and co-workers and began my life of not getting up at 5 AM. (unless I wanted to...it took a few days to turn off my internal alarm clock)
It has been a whirlwind getting Medicare, Supplements, and Social Security signed up to start June 1.
I had just traded my '88 Vmax in on a new 2015 V Star 1300 Deluxe a few days before the announcement. I kept the NT because I had planned to continue riding it to work, plus, I just couldn't give up that nice little bike yet...I just couldn't ride it for distance as my knees would start hurting.
I may have to sell it later to be able live on SS and retirement 401K.
Since I found out what the muscle problem was, I have lost 60 lbs as I had ballooned to over 300 lbs because I couldn't do anything because of the pain.
If anyone near SE Illinois is looking for a 13,000 mile farkled 2010 red NT, let me know...I may be ready to let her go to a good home. (Sounds like I'm talking about the wife! Her new phrase since my retirement is: "What are you doing in there? I heard that!" )

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Twice the husband and half the money! Your wife will be pleased. In all seriousness, when I retired at 55 years young, I was very careful to document how much money I was spending, but it was very clear since I wasnt paying all those taxes and paying into retirement funds, I had more money to try and get rid of than I ever thought I would....I even rigged things using the advice of the IRS so that when I was 62, I wouldnt have to pay taxes on my Social security....

The only scary part is that the first 13 years of retirement has gone by way too fast. I lost all my free time. I had to give up fishing, canoeing, and homebrewing....but with the stress gone it was like a big weight was taken off my shoulders...I was no longer an indentured servant....I was a freeman. When should I go today? (Tomarrow I go to Montana to camp out for four days and shoot steel buffaloes.)

So congratulations and feel free to stick around here . I understand completely how aging bodies prefer different bikes....I couldnt ride a cruiser due to the riding position hurting my back....Hope your NT finds a good home. You can still make the rally!
TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! YAY!

The chris who left Champaign-Urbana 26 years ago and never looked back

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Retirement is great!!!!
I retired from my carrer job at 55, but then went in the construction business for 13 years before my final retirement (which still isn't complete). I still get called to do jobs for friends, relatives, our church, and anyone I can't send a bill to. I also retired from our local Fire and Ambulance Departments and quit doing consulting work too. I still do some part time farrier work and run my sharpening business which provide plenty of play money.
But I found, like Chris, that I actually have more money than I thought I'd have. Same goes with my wife. I don't have time to do all the things I want to do. And I just hope my health holds out so I can play a little longer.

I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do mine.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm almost there myself. I have sent in retirement papers and picked July 1st as the date.
Will certainly be a transition. We have been working 72 hours a week since 3/27 so I will soon transition to no hours. I'm 60 so I hope to have may years of leisure living.
Of course there will be a few things to figure out.

Enjoy the retirement,
Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Dannyjo, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. As many of you know, I "retired" in '13 and took off on the Epic Ride. The night Alex (Bear on our Forum) got to Madawaska to finish the Four Corners part of my ride, I got a call from a District Superintendent telling me that he needed me serve a church. His area was the part of Colorado around Pueblo. Most of his churches were in the Arkansas Valley. I asked him if he knew where I was. He didn't. I told him where I was and that the next day I was going to be crossing over into Canada, headed for Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador and that if he thought I would skip that to serve a church in his district, he was out of his mind. He asked when I would be getting home. When I told him sometime in September, he told me he didn't need me till November 1.

So for 8 months, I drove 180 miles from Ft Morgan down to Rocky Ford, CO and back every week. Actually I rode it about half the time, depending on the weather.

Then we moved to Greeley, and in February of '15, I was asked by another Superintendent to serve the church in Newcastle, WY, for four months. That was 270-310 miles from home, and again, I rode it about half the time.

I think I'm through serving churches unless they're a lot closer to home and don't need me there more than 2-3 days a week.

I am working part-time now as a backup chaplain for Hospice and work about 3-4 hours a week. That's my traveling money.

We're enjoying our retired time. Joanne volunteers at an independent living facility four blocks from our house and we spend time babysitting our 18-month-old great-grandson.

Now if I just get "back in the saddle" again, I'm looking forward to my riding for the next few years.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
and I'm working 3rd shift right now contemplating another 9 more years to work!!! I'm one of those youngsters

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Enjoy your retirement dannyjo, I am almost sure you will not just be sitting around.

I have been self employed for just over 17 years doing computer sales and support for small business and home computer users. For a couple of years now work has been dwindling (possibly because computer hardware has become an "appliance" which means people replace them instead of repairing them) and I am currently also working as a general assistant in a public primary school doing general maintenance including lawn mowing etc. to help make ends meet.

I turn 56 in December this year and I will need to wait until my 57th birthday in 2018 until I can access my retirement funds (Australian regulations)

At this stage I am not sure what the future might bring but I would be quite happy to retire as soon as possible and the way work is going I may be looking for more short time work opportunities to get me through to my 57th birthday when I can access my retirement funds.

None of this is a real problem but I do often find myself pondering what the future is going to look like.

Seagrass

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I believe you should retire as soon as you can. I never wanted to die at work, doing something that 2 minutes after you gone there is your replacement. Last 3 jobs I left, they replaced me with 2 people, so I was a fool to work too hard I guess.
Of course you honey do list my grow. Wifes seem to think you know will be everything, and you around to blame about All MEN when she gets cut off driving or in a store, etc.

Bike
Bonneville T120
Congrats on the retirement. I've been semi-retired for almost two years. I haven't quite figured it out yet. Neither my wife or I has dipped in to social security, so we've been a little frugal for the last two years. In some ways it was too early to retire but neither of us were enjoying our jobs anymore and I was offered a decent buy out. Decent not because of the $$ but because they let us stay on their healthcare plan until we reached Medicare and then let us stay with them for their supplemental policy. It was good enough to take.

The part time work is pretty much over. I've agreed to help out next January and February for about 6 weeks. In the mean time I'm busy having fun.

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
Twice the husband and half the money! Your wife will be pleased. In all seriousness, when I retired at 55 years young, I was very careful to document how much money I was spending, but it was very clear since I wasnt paying all those taxes and paying into retirement funds, I had more money to try and get rid of than I ever thought I would....I even rigged things using the advice of the IRS so that when I was 62, I wouldnt have to pay taxes on my Social security....

The only scary part is that the first 13 years of retirement has gone by way too fast. I lost all my free time. I had to give up fishing, canoeing, and homebrewing....but with the stress gone it was like a big weight was taken off my shoulders...I was no longer an indentured servant....I was a freeman. When should I go today? (Tomarrow I go to Montana to camp out for four days and shoot steel buffaloes.)

So congratulations and feel free to stick around here . I understand completely how aging bodies prefer different bikes....I couldnt ride a cruiser due to the riding position hurting my back....Hope your NT finds a good home. You can still make the rally!
TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! YAY!

The chris who left Champaign-Urbana 26 years ago and never looked back
I have found wearing a back brace really helps when riding feet forward on a cruiser.
Also the Airhawk seat pad is great!
I like the half the monney,m twice the husband, quote.

OP
OP
dannyjo
Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
You know, Phil, you are one of my "heroes" with your " life well lived."
You never cease to amaze me . I have told many co-riders about your epic trip around the states and Alaska.
And especially to go it pretty much alone. Also, your knee surgeries, and yet you keep returning to riding.
That is inspiring. Glad I have had the honor of knowing you and many others through the NT site.
Every time i think about selling the NT, I just can't pull the trigger, as I love it for quick trips to town and
short rides in the evening to cool off. I have more guitars than I need, so maybe I should start selling some for retirement fun funds.

tawilke46

Congrats on your retirement dannyjo! I can certainly relate to your story.
My plan was to work to age 62 and then pull the trigger on retiring. I was growing weary of unreasonable deadlines, metrics, useless meetings and high stress levels working for Jacobs Engineering here in Baton Rouge. Then in 2006, discovered I was in kidney failure. Well that did it for me. August 30, 2007, I officially retired.
This has been the fastest 10 years of my life! Whoa! Slow down clock!

Last edited:

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I was informed my position was being deleted for the next school year, will get the experience of a real retirement in a week.
Retired as a teacher in 2006, but the school kept me on as the IT guy. It has been nice working half time and the money was great to prepare for the next challenge. Hope to ride and shoot more.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
enjoy your retirement to its fullest while you can as you never know what tomorrow may bring, whether it will be another day of pleasure or a day of frustration.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I tuned 66 last December. I talked to my wife about retirement and she told me about all the plans she had for me. I decided to keep working :)

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Enjoy your ride. Looking to retire again myself. Want to do it right this time and not go to work anymore other than the Hunnydo things.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Congrats on your retirement. I was "retired" when the land line side telecom dumped a few years ago. I wasn't planning to retire but it has worked out very well for us. :smile:

Congratulations DannyJo, you are entering a new chapter in your life. I still work three days a week, but will close up shop finally in about 18 months and I'm looking forward to it.

terry

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I tuned 66 last December. I talked to my wife about retirement and she told me about all the plans she had for me. I decided to keep working :)
Warren, I am praying you are joking.:(...I think working after 62 is fine for those that can not finance retirement and those that live to work.....they pay into my social security fund and pay income taxes....!

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was informed my position was being deleted for the next school year, will get the experience of a real retirement in a week.
Retired as a teacher in 2006, but the school kept me on as the IT guy. It has been nice working half time and the money was great to prepare for the next challenge. Hope to ride and shoot more.
Retirement for a riding shooter is just awful. Which matches to go to? Which guns to buy and reload for? What bikes to own and where to ride to? What to do with all that money you are not paying into social security and other payroll taxes?
What if your pre-lunch nap runs into your post lunch nap? I had to give up fishing and canoeing and homebrewing just to make TIME for retirement.....well, I sacraficed myself and retired 13 years ago. Somebody has to sit and watch the mountains go by. Then pick up a gun and shoot steel....life is tough....

Top Bottom