Award request for 75K milestone

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Terry, you are getting close to 50,000. When you get there, if you want it, I'll send you a 50K sticker. All you've got to do end me your snail mail address and I'll pop it in the mail to you.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Well done Mike. I think my 2009 model has still got less than 16,000Km's on the odometre (10,000 miles) but I am looking forward to putting some more miles on it in the future.

Considering another post I recently made in another topic, maybe I just need to retire now and go do some more riding (not sure how I would pay for it all though)

Seagrass

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm glad I'm retired. I would have been in great shape financially if I had stayed married to my first wife. Of course, that's the only area of my life that I would be in great shape in. I wouldn't be riding motorcycles and I wouldn't have the wonderful wife I've got now. But, since the only asset we had was my pension fund and since we had more debt than we could handle while we supporting two separate residences, we had a problem. Turned out that the only way I could access the money in the pension fund was if it was part of "Qualifying Domestic Order." I wasn't very excited about giving a big wad of money to my ex-wife (after all, she was leaving me!), but my attorney told me that judges didn't like it when the parties of a divorce had very great differences in their life-styles or resources, so if I didn't give her some of my pension, I'd be writing alimony checks for the rest of my life.

I ended up giving her 62% of my pension contribution and she gave me back 40% of our total indebtedness. But the upside for me was that I kept making contributions to the fund for the next 15 years. Then I retired at age 70, which was what I'd planned on doing all along. I'm OK financially, and my part-time work with Hospice pays for most of my motorcycle travel.

Retirement is a good thing, but I couldn't have taken it much sooner than I did.

Phil, the old line, "Marriage is grand, divorce is a couple of hundred grand." My story is similar. After 35 years of marriage, my first wife got tired and left. We did the QDROs and she ended up with 61% of the assets. If I am reincarnated, I'll come back as an old black lab--slow but loyal--I wouldn't have left. I am now delighted she did as I have a great life with a great woman. We're both working for another 18 months and then we'll both retire at the same time and move full time to Port Townsend--a true jewel in Washington state.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Phil, the old line, "Marriage is grand, divorce is a couple of hundred grand." My story is similar. After 35 years of marriage, my first wife got tired and left. We did the QDROs and she ended up with 61% of the assets. If I am reincarnated, I'll come back as an old black lab--slow but loyal--I wouldn't have left. I am now delighted she did as I have a great life with a great woman. We're both working for another 18 months and then we'll both retire at the same time and move full time to Port Townsend--a true jewel in Washington state.

Terry
Terry, I may have to come visit you. I used to sail small boats and I'm particularly drawn to boats like the ones written about in Small Craft Advisor, published in Port Townsend. The "Scamp," an 11', 11" little boat is one I'd build if I were still able to climb into a boat on a trailer to rig it. I rode through Port Townsend without stopping when Rick (FalconAF on the Forum) and I were riding the first leg of the Four Corners Tour together during my Epic Ride.

I'm like you -- I wouldn't have left. Our 35 years hadn't always been easy and finally being able to understand her gender identity issues (she's now married to the woman who was my choir director in Fort Morgan) helped explain some of the problems we'd had in our marriage. Carolyn (my ex) and Connie live a couple of miles from Joanne and I and we're friends.

Things work out!

Phil, yes things work out. I'm much, much happier. BTW perhaps one of the biggest festivals in Port Townsend is the 'wooden boat festival.' Come visit anytime, we have a mother in law unit above our garage and could easily host you and your wife if you come out, or just you.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When is the Wooden Boat Festival? I'd love to attend that!

Top Bottom