Yamaha R3

Bike
2010 Honda NT 700V.
Hi All,

Birdman here. I have a 2010 NT. Love it.

I have been riding a long time- started on a Honda mini-bike in 1969. So have owned a lot of bikes, including (most recently) a 2011 VStrom and before that a 2010 Concours and a 1999 Honda Blackbird.

The Blackbird was a stunning bike. (at one time the fastest production motorcycle made). Fast yes, but more notably smooth, comfy and mated to a transmission that was pure bliss. (I enjoy a crouched position)

Anyway....I've got this itch for one of these Yamaha R3's. I have gotten over the need for blinding speed. Lighter weight and good performance/comfort, etc are important. The things I've read about the R3 indicate a good, fun motorcycle.

I'm considering getting a used one I found. Not sure if I should move on it. It would be an addition, not a NT replacement.

Can anyone share their experience?

Thanks

tawilke46

I personally have no experience at all with racing style motorcycles. But can see your point. But alas, I'm too old now for the crouched position. Would be fun some years back for sure.
From what I have read and heard the new stable of 300cc racer style bikes from Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha are a lot of fun and a good bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
Have owned an R3 for about a year now ... love the crap out of it! I find it to be more upright sitting than you would find on a 'typical' sport bike. Very easy to handle and can actually out turn the 'real' sport bikes out there (smaller tires and 'balls to the walls' lower speeds helps A LOT) My advice is demo one or one of the 'newer' 300cc bikes that are just now coming out. The difference is night and day between the R3 and the NT. Having both bikes will probably 'answer' ALL your motorcycle riding needs! (I also have a DN-01 to add to my mix ... Honda's AUTOMATIC from 2009, so I AM content with my stable).

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
I also have a R3, fun little bike the riding position is more upright then it would appear.
A great complement to the NT, pretty quick for a 300 I'm amazed what this little machine will do.

Top Bottom