Star 2017

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Based on my quick scan of the 2016 Motorcycle Sport Touring Associate membership book, it looks as if 6 NT owners are members of the MSTA. I know Dirtflier and are going to be there in Colorado Springs for the rally.

Anybody else?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
At one point, I was the only member with an NT because I bought mine in Dec 2009 so now we've roared up to 6!

Oh, the dates for STAR are June 11-14 but a lot of people show up early. In fact our historical data shows at least 50%-to-70% of registered folks are there a day early on Saturday. At last count, we had 270+ members registered so I'll guess that the final count will be 350+. You have to be a member to attend but a year's free membership ($39) is provided if you pay for normal Registration. Membership includes a bi-monthly magazine, plus other perks.

The question always come up so I'll address it now: we have very few vendors and usually no demo rides at STAR. Last year, American Honda had their demo truck at STAR in VT, because they wanted rider feedback on the Africa Twin. We have a longtime connection to American Honda because for years the club was called the "Honda Sport Touring Assn" so we still have connections inside the big H. As far as I know, we won't have demo rides this year.

STAR starts officially on Sunday with a Welcome Gathering in the early-evening and it ends on Wednesday night after the banquet. Most folks leave for home on Thursday morning. :)

ps. we don't have a group ride (aka: parade formation) at any of our events. For safety, members ride in small groups using provided routes or making one up on their own.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I was a member of msta, but they had a issue with West Michigan chapter. I dropped, really don't know why I joined anyway. I seldom ride in groups. The again I am BMWMOA and BMWRA member, will most likely drop them when renewal comes.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
MSTA membership is strongest east of the Big Muddy. The club started as the "Honda V4 Sport Touring Assn" then "V4" was dropped at some point because it was too limiting. Around 10-12 years ago, the membership voted to drop "Honda" from the name because many of the members had another brand of bike plus it made recruiting difficult. Whether or not you owned a Honda made no difference in membership privileges and many state directors rode other brands. All the officers are volunteers so no one is paid for their club work and we don't have meetings, with the exception of the "Member's Meeting" at STAR each year.

Ohio and Indiana both have memberships of over 150 riders each so monthly and even weekly events are common. I've been a member since 1990 so have experienced the rise and fall in membership numbers which all riding clubs experience over the years. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
There are several of us in Colorado and we've had a few events/rides. But, just as I found when I was a member of the Concours Owners Group, getting more than one or two of us together was something like herding cats.

I guess there are now 7 as I recently purchased NT. I have been a member for well over 20 years and has enjoyed every day. I sorry that apparently many of u have had a negative experience. Until u attend a Star u are unlikely to appreciate the diversity in the membership. Although certainly a virgin in your ranks and I am impressed with this forum activity. Enjoy the "adventure every day has to offer"

Bear

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I guess there are now 7 as I recently purchased NT. I have been a member for well over 20 years and has enjoyed every day. I sorry that apparently many of u have had a negative experience. Until u attend a Star u are unlikely to appreciate the diversity in the membership. Although certainly a virgin in your ranks and I am impressed with this forum activity. Enjoy the "adventure every day has to offer"

Bear
Are you going to be in Colorado Springs, Bearister?

I know that Dirtflier from this Forum will be there working registration on Sunday. I'll be getting there on Sunday.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Since all state directors are unpaid volunteers, the MSTA has all levels of activities at the local level from nil-to-plentiful. That being said, all members belong to the national group - not state specific - so nothing prevents a member from traveling to an adjoining state for a club activity, in fact it's openly welcomed.

Bearister - are you attending the Indiana MSTA River City Ride this year? It's on Aug 4-6 in Corydon and I've been attending it since it was in Vevay, along the OH River, way back in the early 2000s. Another one in our area well worth attending is the Ohio MSTA Mail Pouch Fly-By on Aug 25-27 in Marietta OH. I'm already signed-up for both of those. If you go to the MSTA website, you can find the particulars under "Regional Events."

Last edited:
Top Bottom