Temptation

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
It's massive, but then most of the top of the line touring motorcycles are. Dry weight is 694 lbs, per that link.
Yep, too big for me. I like the BMW RT1200, R1200GS, and the Torphy. The FJR and C14 don't feel comfortable to me, but they are great to ride and play on for an hour or three. I tried to like the Tenere, but it too was a bit too heavy. I'd probably have one of those beefers if I were 20 or 30 years younger. Other close contenders were the V-Strom, Versys, and Africa Twin. I didn't find the little Beemers comfortable either.

That left me with the Tiger 800 - almost 100# lighter than the NT and 50% more hp. I really don't mind the chain drive. Spraying the new wax lube they have is easy. Cleaning the chain is a little messy but doesn't really take that long. I don't do cleanings on the road, but I do spray with lube at least once per day. These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I love the bike. Quite a few others as well but this one has a special place in my heart. Like the NT does. The deal is just a tasty sauce that makes it even more inviting.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
There's a beautiful, black, "new" unregistered, Pan European in my local dealers for 15,999€. It's one of the last off the production line. I'm sorely tempted.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
The Trophy is a more modern bike in my view and I love the sound the triple makes. It is a massive machine. Did I mention blue is my favorite color...

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
In New Hampshire visiting my son's family. He wanted to look at the new T100 and T120's. We both liked them. I was sitting on a bobber when a sales critter came by. "Find what you where looking for?" Yes I did "What your sitting on?" Well no the blue one over there...
Seems the only thing I can't resist is Temptation.
Put a deposit on a huge new bike. Six speed, shaft drive, cruise control, ABS, satellite radio, electronic suspension, and all the throttle by wire gets you. Bike week is going on here. The track is just 30 minutes away from the house. Had dinner at a local drive in watching the bikes go past. They have a couple of non ABS NT's at the dealers that look nice. The big blue bike stole my heart.
Sitting on the deck at my son's place puffing a Connecticut # 1 enjoying life. Listening to the bikes and fireworks in the distance.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Congratulations, Karl! They sound...and look...like great bikes.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Congratulations Karl. Now you have a great bike to take you to all those places you want to ride to.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I love my current bike and the new one has big shoes to fill. Now for registration insurance and taxes... finding a top box. Years ago when shopping for a second hand Connie or FJR the NT on the showroom floor spoke to me. The dealer found me one with ABS and the relationship was on.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I have been looking at one of these for a few years now. Why rush. The dealer has heated grips and the powered factory top box on the way. My insurance agent will get me the plates as soon as the paperwork arrives and I will take pictures of the pickup. If the quote was right the insurance is only seventy bucks more than the NT. Looking forward to scuffinging the Pirelli Angels https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorcycle/all-tyres/sheet/angel-st. Have a route that the NT has taken me many times on back roads back home or to work from NH. This is almost as much fun as the trip across America for me. Still just a RIMBY.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Cleaning the chain is a little messy but doesn't really take that long...These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to...]

I still have my NT but haven't ridden it much this year. My other bike is an NC700X with DCT and it does have chain drive so I had to learn how to perform chain cleaning while on the road because all my previous road bikes had shaft drive. I've mainly been using WD-40 as a cleaner and carry plastic, throwaway gloves with me plus a handful of paper towels. At 16k miles, I've only adjusted it once so it hardly shows any wear! :)

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
IMG_20140517_092655.jpg
This picture is from a wet weekend in North Conway, NH.

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
Congrats on the new bike, Karl. You stole it!

The bag system on the Trophy is the same as the Sprint GT. I have had zero issues with mine in almost 3 years and 40,000 miles. If you take the saddlebags off make sure to get the tabs in their slots on the front of the bags so their swing is properly limited.

Top Bottom