Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Temptation

My Gallery

Re: Temptation

[..These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to...JungleJim]

My other bike is a 2013 NC700X/w DCT and it now has around 16k miles. I bought it with only 750 miles on the odometer from a friend. I've only adjusted the chain once and merely took it from the loose side of the spec to the tight side. Clean/lube it about every 350-500 miles with WD-40 and occasionally treat it to real chain lube. At the current rate of chain stretch, the standard chain should go 25k...perhaps longer?

› Site Search for: Temptation

Site Supporter
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    [..These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to...JungleJim]

My other bike is a 2013 NC700X/w DCT and it now has around 16k miles. I bought it with only 750 miles on the odometer from a friend. I've only adjusted the chain once and merely took it from the loose side of the spec to the tight side. Clean/lube it about every 350-500 miles with WD-40 and occasionally treat it to real chain lube. At the current rate of chain stretch, the standard chain should go 25k...perhaps longer?
    Does Honda recommend using WD-40 with the oring chains? It is more of a solvent than a lube. Or do you use the dry, or teflon WD? Will the solvents harden the orings?

My Gallery

I'm using the WD-40 mainly as a cleaner although many people swear it does everything. It is widely used as chain cleaner and I haven't heard of it damaging the O-ring. The lube is already inside the chain pins and sealed by O-rings. :-)

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by bearbait51 View Post
    Does Honda recommend using WD-40 with the oring chains? It is more of a solvent than a lube. Or do you use the dry, or teflon WD? Will the solvents harden the orings?
    My opinion is the same as DirtFlier's. WD-40 works fine for a cleaner, but I just use kerosene for cleaning. Then after the solvent dries up I spray with a wax chain lube and let that dry as long as possible before riding. Others have used WD-40 for everything and claim good results.

When traveling I just lube with the aerosol wax lube at the end of the day and let it dry overnight.

I avoid using compressed air to clean the chain. It does clean the chain, but it makes a messy job even worse. And I think it has the potential to blow contaminants past the O-rings where the lubrication is supposed to be. Same with pressure washers.

I think the wax based lube is best all around. I think the petroleum based lube works better in wet conditions, but attracts more dirt in dry conditions. Teflon lube is the worst in wet conditions and doesn't attract dirt, but doesn't last as long as the wax in my experience.

I'm amazed that with all the technology these days, from what I read, the chain is still the most effecient way to drive a motorcycle.

My Gallery

Too big, too heavy, too expensive for my taste as I get older I have gravitated towards lighter weight machinery.
    Roy Cope

All Bikes

My Gallery

The new chains are a definite improvement over the old chains. When I was restoring vintage Honda and Yamaha motorcycles the first thing I did was put on o ring chain. For everyday commuting however you can't beat a shaft drive.
    Warren
    2010 NT700V ABS Silver, #0225, "Arcee"
    1977 Yamaha XS650 (Sold)

(Threadstarter)
    2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by coaster View Post
    Too big, too heavy, too expensive for my taste as I get older I have gravitated towards lighter weight machinery.
    I agree. A street twin looks very tasty right now as well. I paid 3k more for the Triumph than I did for the NT before Farkels. And that includes them on the Triumph to this point.IMG_20170830_125843105.jpg
    Last edited by karl; 09-07-2017 at 05:28 AM.
    Karl
    2010 ABS "Jezabell"

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234