Temptation

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Picked up the new bike yesterday. Sweet SunJa from Busan aka the mother of my children followed me back to my son's place making it easier to follow the break in recommendations from Triumph. Got to play with a lot of new toys on the ride back to work the weather radio being a stand out. Quarter sized hail was falling in numerous places and I managed to dodge it by riding to work rather than home. What I didn't dodge was some at times torrential rain. Weather protection was good. My feet stayed dry. The NT wins the upper body protection. Didn't stop to put the liner in my mesh jacket or put on overpants. This machine is a big beast. Very light on her feet underway with a very deep well of power that I have not even begun to draw from.

I now am the proud owner of a dirty bike with less than 200 miles on it and having a great time getting to know and listening for her name.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
making it easier to follow the break in recommendations from Triumph
Ya, aren't those a PITA. 5K rpm for the first several hundred miles. That took forever. Then I got to the 6K threshold. More fun. Then came the 7K limit which took me to 17mph over the speed limit one gear down and another 3K rpms to go. That is when I knew how much motor I had.

Have fun with it Karl and use the break-in period to learn the beast.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Congratulations Karl. I am certain you will enjoy every moment and not be missing any of the NT quirks. I can imagined how it must feel in comparison just very similar to how I felt about the 14 FJR as I rode it home . Who knows maybe that is what I should have gotten rather than the /fjr but we will never know.

Enjoy the new mschine and tide safe.

Eldon

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
see what a cross country trip does?? it makes you want more power and storage and fancy dancy accessories! we all change rides from time to time. a very nice ride, KARL

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Took a short ride to see my "big" sister. Have enough miles on the new bike to twist the throttle a little. I did sell Weedwhacker. A 50 cc scooter.
IMG_20170830_125843105.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to...JungleJim]

My other bike is a 2013 NC700X/w DCT and it now has around 16k miles. I bought it with only 750 miles on the odometer from a friend. I've only adjusted the chain once and merely took it from the loose side of the spec to the tight side. Clean/lube it about every 350-500 miles with WD-40 and occasionally treat it to real chain lube. At the current rate of chain stretch, the standard chain should go 25k...perhaps longer?

Bike
2010 NT700V
[..These new chains, with proper care, get double to triple the miles that i'm used to...JungleJim]

My other bike is a 2013 NC700X/w DCT and it now has around 16k miles. I bought it with only 750 miles on the odometer from a friend. I've only adjusted the chain once and merely took it from the loose side of the spec to the tight side. Clean/lube it about every 350-500 miles with WD-40 and occasionally treat it to real chain lube. At the current rate of chain stretch, the standard chain should go 25k...perhaps longer?
Does Honda recommend using WD-40 with the oring chains? It is more of a solvent than a lube. Or do you use the dry, or teflon WD? Will the solvents harden the orings?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'm using the WD-40 mainly as a cleaner although many people swear it does everything. It is widely used as chain cleaner and I haven't heard of it damaging the O-ring. The lube is already inside the chain pins and sealed by O-rings. :)

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Does Honda recommend using WD-40 with the oring chains? It is more of a solvent than a lube. Or do you use the dry, or teflon WD? Will the solvents harden the orings?
My opinion is the same as DirtFlier's. WD-40 works fine for a cleaner, but I just use kerosene for cleaning. Then after the solvent dries up I spray with a wax chain lube and let that dry as long as possible before riding. Others have used WD-40 for everything and claim good results.

When traveling I just lube with the aerosol wax lube at the end of the day and let it dry overnight.

I avoid using compressed air to clean the chain. It does clean the chain, but it makes a messy job even worse. And I think it has the potential to blow contaminants past the O-rings where the lubrication is supposed to be. Same with pressure washers.

I think the wax based lube is best all around. I think the petroleum based lube works better in wet conditions, but attracts more dirt in dry conditions. Teflon lube is the worst in wet conditions and doesn't attract dirt, but doesn't last as long as the wax in my experience.

I'm amazed that with all the technology these days, from what I read, the chain is still the most effecient way to drive a motorcycle.

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Too big, too heavy, too expensive for my taste as I get older I have gravitated towards lighter weight machinery.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The new chains are a definite improvement over the old chains. When I was restoring vintage Honda and Yamaha motorcycles the first thing I did was put on o ring chain. For everyday commuting however you can't beat a shaft drive.

OP
OP
karl

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Too big, too heavy, too expensive for my taste as I get older I have gravitated towards lighter weight machinery.
I agree. A street twin looks very tasty right now as well. I paid 3k more for the Triumph than I did for the NT before Farkels. And that includes them on the Triumph to this point.IMG_20170830_125843105.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom