Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old biker, new NT owner

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Old biker, new NT owner

Hi,

I'm a retired mechanical engineer. Been biking since my teens; started out on a CT70H, actually took my MC driver's test on it. Moved up to a '70 CL350. After graduating from college, I traded up to my then dream bike, a '72 CB500. Put a Windjammer, rack and trunk on it and did a fair bit of traveling on it. Eventually, as has happened to many others, marriage and family took priority over riding. About 15 years ago, I got back into riding, bought a low mileage '78 Suzuki GS750. But other things again took priority, and the Suzuki has been sitting in the shed ever since. Recently got the itch again, and not wanting to deal with the issues I suspect the Suzuki will present, I started looking for something without carburetors, etc. Found a '10 NT700 on eBay. Description sounded good, pictures looked good, and honest, with some scratches and peeling decals, so I took a chance. I've never bought a vehicle sight unseen before, but I did it this time. Including shipping cost, I got it for about 2/3 of what NADA Guides says it's worth. It was just delivered this evening, and so far, everything looks good. Will check it out carefully this weekend and tackle registration on Monday.

I found a GS owners' forum when I was playing with the Suzuki; I found it to be an interesting, helpful, and often entertaining site. I've been browsing on this site for a few days now, and have already picked up a few tips. I fully expect you folks to be as friendly, helpful, and entertaining, if not more so, as the Suzuki site was.

Lynn B.

My Gallery

Re: Old biker, new NT owner

Welcome along from us in Australia. I am sure you will love the bike like most of us do.

Seagrass
    Current Bikes owned 2007 NT700V, 1982 Honda CX500-TC (Turbo)
    NT700 Only

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Hi, Lynn! Welcome to NT-World! We've got a great Forum with lots of friendly and helpful people. It sounds like you're like a lot of us who have a reached a "mature" age and stage in our lives.

The NT has been a great bike for me. I started riding in '97, after wanting to since '69, when a church member talked me into riding his brand-new CB750. But my wife said motorcycles were too dangerous and that "We don't do motorcycles." By '97, she was "doing motorcycles" as a pillion on my choir director's bike. (BTW, I am a retired United Methodist minister.) Connie, the choir director, taught me how to ride her bike and I rode it a lot before my wife moved out. Then I decided I wanted my own bike and stumbled onto an '83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing. I rode it for a year, then bought the first of my '99 Kawasaki Concours. I rode two of those until '10, when I bought my NT700V. I had put 165,000 miles on the Connies and have now put 115K on my NT. I've farkled it pretty extensively. My two favorites are my Russell Day Long saddle and a Rostra
    electronic cruise control.

We'll all be waiting to hear what you think of your bike as you get to know it. Is yours an ABS model? Some of the silver '10s had ABS, some didn't. All of the red '10 NTs didn't have it; all of the black '11 NTs did have it. It's saved my bacon a couple of times.

We look forward to hearing from you.
    Phil Tarman
    Greeley, CO
    NT700VA 2010 SN #0079 -- "Dudley" -- 125,000+ Miles
    IBA # 5811: SS1000(X3), BB1500, BBG
    2013 Four Corners Tour Finisher # 70
    Read about the "Epic Ride" at: www.ptarman1.com

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum.
    Wayne
    1987 Yamaha FJ1200
    AMA Life Member

(Threadstarter)

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Tarman View Post
    Hi, Lynn! Welcome to NT-World! We've got a great Forum with lots of friendly and helpful people. It sounds like you're like a lot of us who have a reached a "mature" age and stage in our lives.

The NT has been a great bike for me. I started riding in '97, after wanting to since '69, when a church member talked me into riding his brand-new CB750. But my wife said motorcycles were too dangerous and that "We don't do motorcycles." By '97, she was "doing motorcycles" as a pillion on my choir director's bike. (BTW, I am a retired United Methodist minister.) Connie, the choir director, taught me how to ride her bike and I rode it a lot before my wife moved out. Then I decided I wanted my own bike and stumbled onto an '83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing. I rode it for a year, then bought the first of my '99 Kawasaki Concours. I rode two of those until '10, when I bought my NT700V. I had put 165,000 miles on the Connies and have now put 115K on my NT. I've farkled it pretty extensively. My two favorites are my Russell Day Long saddle and a Rostra
    electronic cruise control.

We'll all be waiting to hear what you think of your bike as you get to know it. Is yours an ABS model? Some of the silver '10s had ABS, some didn't. All of the red '10 NTs didn't have it; all of the black '11 NTs did have it. It's saved my bacon a couple of times.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the welcome, Phil, and the others, too. Mine is silver, but not an ABS model. Listing didn't mention it; I was hoping it might have been an oversight, but there's no ABS warning light in the instrument panel. Checked the bike out some more today; everything looks good so far.
    Last edited by lynnbpa; 06-11-2017 at 01:41 AM.

My Gallery

Most of us have had or continue to have problems with the pannier latches. Lots of posts on several threads on this subject. You might want to remove the bags and re-inforce the plastic studs that hold the latch mechanism and catches with epoxy right away. It is a lot easier to do BEFORE they break. If nothing else you'll be familiar with how they work when the problem hits you.

My Gallery

Welcome to the group, you will enjoy this bike, lots of fun to be had with it.
    2010 Silver NT 700, ROX riser, nothing else needed.

(Threadstarter)

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Most of us have had or continue to have problems with the pannier latches. Lots of posts on several threads on this subject. You might want to remove the bags and re-inforce the plastic studs that hold the latch mechanism and catches with epoxy right away. It is a lot easier to do BEFORE they break. If nothing else you'll be familiar with how they work when the problem hits you.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll check into it when I get a chance.
    Last edited by lynnbpa; 06-12-2017 at 06:25 AM.

My Gallery

Welcome to the forum Lynn!
    TIM WILKES
    2010 NT700V "PhaNTom" #1470
    2009 DL650 Wee (Phantom II)
    Vietnam Veterans of America Life Member
    NT Only

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

Welcome. Enjoy your ride.