Saddlebag won't open

Bike
2010 Honda NT 700V.
It looks like a gazillion posts are on here re the saddlebag issue. Just got to 4,400 miles on my 2010 NT, and the right bag won't open. I pull the latch a few dozen times, won't open.
On effort #58 (that's an estimate) it opens. Hmmm.

So I pry around on the receiver parts internally, it seems the right side is stiffer. I applied some lubricant, pressed it in and out a few dozen times. Closed the lid and....won't open.

Rinse and repeat time. This time after 5 minutes it opens again. I build up my nerve to close it again....sure enough, won't open. So I walked away from it before anyone (anything) got hurt.

After a quick perusal of this site, seems to be a lot on "here's a different latch system" approaches.

What about where I'm at? Any sunbursts of insight someone can share?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
If the latches don't open the easiest way is to manually push the operating rod rearward. That rod can be accessed from one of the vent holes in front of the bags. I used a 1/4" dowel about 8" long to reach in and push on the rod. It requires a bit of blind poking to get the dowel on the rod. I kept the dowel rod in my tank bag for those ocasions.

Then the next step (when the latches got worse) i disconnected my seat latch so when the latches failed I could open them manually by removing the seat and pushing the rod.

Then when the plastic mounting studs were broken beyond repair i removed them and put on external latches. Problem solved.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If Jim's method does not work (which it will). I recommend external catches, but I have a BMW R100RT and I put similar style to those on my NT. I hated having to take out a key to open bags, I only lock mine at night if I leave something in them.

k750__75794.1383336823.220.220.jpg

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It could be either the linkage is stuck with grunge or some of the plastic towers holding the latching mechanism have started to fail. :-(

Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
I put my big lids on this week and in the process found that one of the plastic latch mounts one of the original lids had already cracked. Although I hadn't had any problems opening or closing them, the P.O. may have slammed them a time or two.

After switching to the big lids the right side got very sticky - to the point of having to open it by popping the seat off and pushing the forward latch back - so this morning I disassembled both sides and cleaned the original greasy stuff off of the mechanisms. I then sprayed some teflon-based chain lube that I use on the Triumph on the latching mechanisms and everything seems to be working well again. Hopefully it will last a long time; the drive chain on the Sprint has a lot harsher environment than the latches. I will continue to monitor the situation and update if it gets worse again.

Cheers,

Top Bottom