Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch cable failed

My Gallery

Clutch cable failed

After 87,180 miles and 7 years of riding the clutch cable failed close to the clutch lever.

There is absolutely no signs of corrosion and the cable was still slightly "oily". I can only think that it is fatigue from high use commuting in the city.

The Honda Dealers at Monthlery are nothing short of excellent. I had the bike recovered to them and, without an appointment of any sort, they set to work immediately and fitted a temporary replacement until the correct cable is delivered. So, thanks to Outsider Monthlery, I was only off the road for a total of 2 hours!

› Site Search for: Clutch cable failed
    Regards,
    John
    Women spend more time wondering what men are thinking than men spend thinking.

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
    My Gallery

Re: Clutch cable failed

Quote Originally Posted by JQL View Post
    After 87,180 miles and 7 years of riding the clutch cable failed close to the clutch lever.

There is absolutely no signs of corrosion and the cable was still slightly "oily". I can only think that it is fatigue from high use commuting in the city.
    You did very good. And got really good service from your dealer.

My clutch cable failed at about 55,000 miles, but it appears that the adjustment fitting at the handlebar was misaligned and caused premature wear.

Super Dave
    I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure!
    Dave
    http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/glupy/VisitedSuperDave.jpg

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

I have a spare I carry on long trips. Can it be replaced without removing Tupperware?

Mike
    "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...." Mark Twain

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mikesim View Post
    Can it be replaced without removing Tupperware?
    It is pretty easy if I remember correctly. Seems I had to fiddle a bit to get it in properly at the clutch end.
    Tie a string to one end of the old cable before pulling it out so you can pull the new one and get it routed the same way.

Back in the days when I rode off road, I would route a spare clutch and throttle cable next to the original, then tape the ends closed to protect them. When (not if) the original cable broke, the new cable was already routed and ready to hook up. I can ride with a broken clutch cable but not with a broken throttle cable.
    All states I have ridden in since 1967, on 35 motorcycles.

2017 Miles:
    My Gallery

sorry to hear of clutch cable failure. so far mine is 167K strong. I did look at both ends at last oil change Feb 2017, still no fraying, and for that matter, very little stretching. I think I only twisted out the adjuster 5 months ago for the first time. just in case if anybody is worrying

Previous:'
    97 PC800 67,664 miles in 3.3 yrs::'96 PC800 160,560 miles in 10.5 yrs::'82 GL500 Silverwing::'83 Shadow500::'78Suzuki GS550::'73Suzuki TC125::Suzuki TM400

My Gallery

Co-incidentally I have been thinking for a while that my 2006, 52k mile clutch cable must be at risk of failure and have just asked my dealer to fit a new one when my bike goes in on Thursday for it's annual MOT (roadworthy test) along with new PR4's and a brake fluid change. I am getting a VFR800X Crossrunner as a courtesy bike for the day and fear I may be sufficiently impressed that I end up having a chat with the sales manager.
    Black 2006 NT700VA-6 (Betty)
    Red 2017 VFR800X (As yet unnamed - open to suggestions)

Kuna, Idaho a sparkling jewel in a park-like setting
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by gbrand42 View Post
    . . . . when my bike goes in on Thursday for it's annual MOT (roadworthy test) . . . .
    The Ministry requires an annual vehicle maintenance check? By the dealer? Is that expensive? We don't do that in Idaho, but maybe some East Coast states do. Anyone in the US or Canada have that requirement too?

We do have a semi-annual vehicle (not motorcycle) emissions test though.

Dave

My Gallery

Clutch cable failed

Doesn't have to be by a dealer, motorcycle repair shops will generally do them as well. Takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30.
    Last edited by gbrand42; 06-12-2017 at 11:43 AM.

My Gallery

Certain states in Australia also require an annual inspection, can be a bit of a pain sometimes.

Seagrass
    Current Bikes owned 2007 NT700V, 1982 Honda CX500-TC (Turbo)
    NT700 Only

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast